• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

*HELP* rear leaf upgrade

Malcolm

7️⃣ Connoisseur
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2017 Pro DCSB Auto
Cement
Okay guys,
Got something I’m trying to figure out. My truck sits very level right now in its current stance with an RTT and bed rack carried at all times. I am receiving a high clearance rear with swingout/tire carrier and front bumper with full bars from C4 to build the show truck for T3G.

The rear high clearance will weigh roughly 175-200lbs, my dilemma is determining whether or not I will need to swap out the leaf pack to compensate for the additional weight.

I was considering a progressive AAL because I have only had good experiences with them despite how hard I run my truck while offroad.

Let’s hear what you think. Photo of current stance for reference
7FFA0E6C-0511-4D0A-90DB-845A1D321603.jpeg

replace the entire leaf pack because your static weight will eventually wear out the stock leafs.

Upvote 0
What @Rob Daman said. I went with the Dakars because I could add an additional leaf to it later if needed. Not sure if others offer the same.

How high did it place your rear? Was it raking, or leveled?

Upvote 0
ICON RXT if you can get your hands on a set. I know they are backordered everywhere right now. But they are weight configurable based off the weight that you have in the bed. They ride like a dream on and offroad.

Ya I was looking at the Dakar OME pack, seems pretty good IMO and would give the amount of lift and weight load capability I’d need. Good price too.

RXT’s I looked at but won’t come in time.

Upvote 0
Pulled the trigger on the Dakar heavy pack. Gave me the load capacity and lift I needed to support the 225lb bumper 175lb tent and 100 something lb bed rack.

Don’t want to display this truck after all this work at our oct. 6th event with a sagging ass

Upvote 0
Pulled the trigger on the Dakar heavy pack. Gave me the load capacity and lift I needed to support the 225lb bumper 175lb tent and 100 something lb bed rack.

Don’t want to display this truck after all this work at our oct. 6th event with a sagging ass
Since you couldn’t get the Icon set anyway, this is the best choice IMO.

Upvote 0
Since you couldn’t get the Icon set anyway, this is the best choice IMO.
I know there was a thread previously and someone said that they squeak but what leaf packs don’t squeak when they get dirt and grime in them, pretty much can’t avoid them. Dakar is a good solid leaf pack that has more positive running than negative. Just excited to install everything and have the T3G show truck completed.

Upvote 0
How high did it place your rear? Was it raking, or leveled?
I don't have a RTT or steal rear bumper so I went with a medium duty leaf pack. I have the bed rack and a trailer on the way with a 200 lb tongue weight, and should be good with the MD. It raised it about 2 3/4" from stock. I have the pre-load on the front coils set to about 2 1/2". So a little rake. With all your weight, I would recommend the HD Dakars (600 lbs). If it ends up being too much, you can always remove the third leaf, but I think it will be just right once you add the rear bumper. I know you're a smart dude and probably know all this, but just in case... Also, don't forget 700 lb springs on the front to support the weight of the front bumper, drive line drop kit, bushings for the leaf pack, and 2" extended break lines front and back.

Upvote 0

Ha ha. Saw this after I posted my previous response.

Upvote 0
Ha ha. Saw this after I posted my previous response.
Haha mah man, all good. Ya everything should be here Friday along with a prinsu, truck wrap Saturday, and bumpers on Tuesday probably installed on Saturday

Upvote 0
Back