• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Heavy duty leaf spring install

Tyler

🔟 Mythical
Badministrator
Volunteer T3G Editor
Reaction score
Website
tacoma3g.com
2017 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Quicksand
This is the first video I’ve ever made. I attempt to guide you through replacing your leaf springs on your own. It’s easy and you shouldn’t pay a shop to do it!

Original link: https://youtu.be/aSU77AE97L4

Thanks for this video man! Made my install a breeze... 8 hours or so in the garage, but it was rad doing it all my self and your directions were on point. Also, I ended up going with the Dobinsons leafs too! Can’t wait to get out on the trail and test them out.

Thanks for this video man! Made my install a breeze... 8 hours or so in the garage, but it was rad doing it all my self and your directions were on point. Also, I ended up going with the Dobinsons leafs too! Can’t wait to get out on the trail and test them out.
Wow, thank you! I wasn't sure if it would help anyone, lol.

This is the first video I’ve ever made. I attempt to guide you through replacing your leaf springs on your own. It’s easy and you shouldn’t pay a shop to do it!

Original link: https://youtu.be/aSU77AE97L4
Thanks for making this video! I’ll be installing my dobinson leaf packs at the end of the month, and this is a great reference. Hoping I can get the old sleeves out without too much of a struggle, but these New England winters may have already cemented them in.

Thanks for making this video! I’ll be installing my dobinson leaf packs at the end of the month, and this is a great reference. Hoping I can get the old sleeves out without too much of a struggle, but these New England winters may have already cemented them in.
If you can’t get them out, I think you can rent certain tools for free. The impact hammer in my video seemed to make it look easy after the struggle I had.

Perfect timing. Still bouncing around on my suspension upgrade.
@Tyler - Impact Wrench. ;)
I guess air hammer would be the nomenclature for the tool I was talking about when I said impact hammer.

D6454760-47B7-456A-8DC6-6DE59F9694C8.jpeg

If you can’t get them out, I think you can rent certain tools for free. The impact hammer in my video seemed to make it look easy after the struggle I had.
Good idea, I'll call around to a few shops tomorrow and see who might have a rental available. On visual inspection yesterday mine were already looking a little rough, so I picked up a new set of OEM shackles, just in case 🤞🤞

Good idea, I'll call around to a few shops tomorrow and see who might have a rental available. On visual inspection yesterday mine were already looking a little rough, so I picked up a new set of OEM shackles, just in case 🤞🤞
If the OEM shackles weren’t too expensive, maybe you should just use them. Getting the bushings and sleeves out of mine was clearly the most time consuming part of the job.

If the OEM shackles weren’t too expensive, maybe you should just use them. Getting the bushings and sleeves out of mine was clearly the most time consuming part of the job.
IF (big if) I had the foresight, I would have purchased them online (18-25$), instead got them through the dealership for a whopping 30$ for the pair. Sounds like it'll be less of a headache to use the new ones, plus it means can reset the 'wear' clock on one more suspension component.

I just used my OEM shackles and bushings. Made the job a lot easier. I figure once I upgrade to Archive hangers and shackles, I will be able to use the never used Dobinsons provided bushings in the new Archive shackles.

Back