• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Gear swap suggestions

Topo_taco

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
I’m still getting use to the forum world so I apologize if this has been mentioned before. I’m sitting here researching gear swaps and trying to make a decision on the proper gears to get. I’m looking at 4.56 or 4.88 so I’m asking those of you who have done a gear swap, what you suggest. Any information will be greatly appreciated and maybe this will help out others questioning the same thing. Thank y’all in advance.

This question comes up a lot and it really depends on your plans with the truck. The basic standards seem to be ..

Stock truck up to 33's with no weight added go with 4.88's.

Over 33's or a lot of added weight go 5.29's.

There are numerous people these days that are very happy with 5 29's on stock trucks as well. Just depends what you want.

Don't even bother with 4.56 for our trucks. Honestly I'm not sure anyone even makes that size. It's just not worth it.

Nitro has a really good video on YouTube talking about the benefits of gearing.

I’ll be putting armor underneath, front bumper, possibly rear bumper and I think that’s it. I think. I’ll probably end up doing 4.88s because I hear that a lot about 4.56s. I appreciate the response bud.

Honestly I don't even think they make 4.56's for our trucks. If you aren't going up in size on the tires you may be alright with the 4.88's, but if you are going to then you're already in 5.29 territory with the weight.

Gotcha. Yeah I’ll probably stay with 33s. I just want to make sure I do it right the first time because it’s the only time I’ll be getting it done. Lol

I’ll be putting armor underneath, front bumper, possibly rear bumper and I think that’s it. I think. I’ll probably end up doing 4.88s because I hear that a lot about 4.56s. I appreciate the response bud.

If you're putting armor, front and rear bumpers, I'd say go with 5.29s.

I have Yukon 4.88s with 34's but only have sliders.

Have you had any issues with the Yukon’s? I’m looking at those and Nitros.

They are both good reputable brands. Yukon have been around for a very long time.

No issues at all. Make sure you have them installed at a reputable shop.

I'll be joining you on searching for gear swaps. I just put 285/75/16 tires on my DCLB and when getting on the freeway, I could feel the difference. I also had a truck full of tools as well as 5 wheels/tires. But I have a feeling I'll be wanting to do gears sooner than later. Probably 5.29's from what I am reading here.

I plan on adding on the tire gate from Wilco, so that'll be some added weight.

I'll be joining you on searching for gear swaps. I just put 285/75/16 tires on my DCLB and when getting on the freeway, I could feel the difference. I also had a truck full of tools as well as 5 wheels/tires. But I have a feeling I'll be wanting to do gears sooner than later. Probably 5.29's from what I am reading here.

I plan on adding on the tire gate from Wilco, so that'll be some added weight.

In my personal opinion, gears should be the first thing done but I didn’t listen to myself lol better late than never I suppose

In my personal opinion, gears should be the first thing done but I didn’t listen to myself lol better late than never I suppose

Haha talk about it! I am in the same boat as you, probably should've done the gears beforehand, just gotta give it a lil more pepper now.

I will probably end up with 5.29's, not really going for the full "overland" setup, but I usually have some weight whether it be camping trips or the quad in the back. But just the new tire size alone calls for gears.

Haha talk about it! I am in the same boat as you, probably should've done the gears beforehand, just gotta give it a lil more pepper now.

I will probably end up with 5.29's, not really going for the full "overland" setup, but I usually have some weight whether it be camping trips or the quad in the back. But just the new tire size alone calls for gears.

Haha yeah the tires alone definitely call for new gears. I’m running 285/70/17 KO2s and the gear hunting on the highway is ridiculous. I’ll probably end up doing 4.88s since I do the same thing with mine. Camping and occasional bed loads and some armor underneath.

Haha yeah the tires alone definitely call for new gears. I’m running 285/70/17 KO2s and the gear hunting on the highway is ridiculous. I’ll probably end up doing 4.88s since I do the same thing with mine. Camping and occasional bed loads and some armor underneath.

I was thinking along the same mindset of 4.88's in the beginning as I mentioned, but I am planning for the long run of things, and I know armor and bumpers are in the future, so I figure plan ahead and go 5.29's?

Good luck with the gears and the build man!

I was thinking along the same mindset of 4.88's in the beginning as I mentioned, but I am planning for the long run of things, and I know armor and bumpers are in the future, so I figure plan ahead and go 5.29's?

Absolutely bud! Good luck on yours as well!

If you're going 33's and up AND adding bumpers and armor, definitely go with 5.29's. There's many people online who have went 4.88 and then regretted it and swapped to 5.29.

If you're going 33's and up AND adding bumpers and armor, definitely go with 5.29's. There's many people online who have went 4.88 and then regretted it and swapped to 5.29.

Like you mentioned too, I just need to find a shop locally that I trust. Have one in mind now, but I'll take a look around as well. Definitely don't want to cheap out on that part.

I would suggest the same (5.29s). If you weren't installing armor and bumpers, you'd be fine with 4.88s.

The RPMs at freeway speeds aren't a huge difference from what I've been told.

How bout for Manual? Nitro video says 4.88's should be fine? anybody out there regear their manual? Not there yet- just ordered sliders ,but probably have bumpers in my future!

How bout for Manual? Nitro video says 4.88's should be fine? anybody out there regear their manual? Not there yet- just ordered sliders ,but probably have bumpers in my future!

Amongst the Manual crowd the consensus seems to be that 4.88's are sufficient where the 5.29's are almost necessary for all of the autos. I cant remember why but that's what I have read and heard in the past.

Back