Gear swap suggestions | 3rd Generation Toyota Tacomas — Tacoma3G.com

Gear swap suggestions

Topo_taco

T3G Level: Bronze
T3G #
I’m still getting use to the forum world so I apologize if this has been mentioned before. I’m sitting here researching gear swaps and trying to make a decision on the proper gears to get. I’m looking at 4.56 or 4.88 so I’m asking those of you who have done a gear swap, what you suggest. Any information will be greatly appreciated and maybe this will help out others questioning the same thing. Thank y’all in advance.

Mr. Nobody

T3G Level: Onyx
Event Director
T3G Supporter
T3G O.G.
First Name
Andy
T3G #
This question comes up a lot and it really depends on your plans with the truck. The basic standards seem to be ..

Stock truck up to 33's with no weight added go with 4.88's.

Over 33's or a lot of added weight go 5.29's.

There are numerous people these days that are very happy with 5 29's on stock trucks as well. Just depends what you want.

Don't even bother with 4.56 for our trucks. Honestly I'm not sure anyone even makes that size. It's just not worth it.

Nitro has a really good video on YouTube talking about the benefits of gearing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Topo_taco

T3G #
I’ll be putting armor underneath, front bumper, possibly rear bumper and I think that’s it. I think. I’ll probably end up doing 4.88s because I hear that a lot about 4.56s. I appreciate the response bud.

Mr. Nobody

T3G Level: Onyx
Event Director
T3G Supporter
T3G O.G.
First Name
Andy
T3G #
Honestly I don't even think they make 4.56's for our trucks. If you aren't going up in size on the tires you may be alright with the 4.88's, but if you are going to then you're already in 5.29 territory with the weight.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Topo_taco

T3G #
Gotcha. Yeah I’ll probably stay with 33s. I just want to make sure I do it right the first time because it’s the only time I’ll be getting it done. Lol