• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Garmin Overlander Navigation

Tyler

🔟 Mythical
Badministrator
Volunteer T3G Editor
Reaction score
Website
tacoma3g.com
2017 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Quicksand
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R54G8YV/?tag=tacoma3g-20

I know I’m late, but I only just heard about these yesterday. I know having the word overland in the name means it needs to cost 2x more than a normal device. But has anyone ever used one? Are its explore and camping features worth $700?

I purchased one during the holidays when they went on sale to supplement and back up Gaia. Truth be told I don’t have enough experience with it to give you an honest answer, however on the trips I have used it the camp finding apps definitely came in handy! If you travel often I suggest one to supplement other mapping software but I wouldn’t recommend using it as your only source for navigation.

I got curious about it too and watched this vid to learn more. It’s a cool concept, could maybe use a little work though.
Original link: https://youtu.be/m5oAfSAUpJ0
I purchased one during the holidays when they went on sale to supplement and back up Gaia. Truth be told I don’t have enough experience with it to give you an honest answer, however on the trips I have used it the camp finding apps definitely came in handy! If you travel often I suggest one to supplement other mapping software but I wouldn’t recommend using it as your only source for navigation.
Thanks guys. Seems like the consensus is that it’s good for camping and BLM roads but not the best for regular everyday GPS.

Haven't tried it. Between my trucks GPS (which has a ton of forest and Fed off-road trails on it), My phone with Google Maps, and a Samsung Tab A with Gaia on it we've been pretty well covered on mapping. We also carry paper maps on back up to all the electronic gizmos.

Haven't tried it. Between my trucks GPS (which has a ton of forest and Fed off-road trails on it), My phone with Google Maps, and a Samsung Tab A with Gaia on it we've been pretty well covered on mapping. We also carry paper maps on back up to all the electronic gizmos.
I really enjoy paper maps. They are almost a hobby/novelty nowadays.

iPad, garmin inreach with gaia is the best way to go IMO.

eventually I plan on getting one of those ipads that you can add to your phone bill with gps on it and using maps me and gaia

When you say "my trucks GPS" are you talking about the built-in? If so, how'd you get the additional maps on it?

Currently, I've been using an Inreach Mini and the Garmin app on my phone and an android tablet with Gaia

When you say "my trucks GPS" are you talking about the built-in? If so, how'd you get the additional maps on it?

Currently, I've been using an Inreach Mini and the Garmin app on my phone and an android tablet with Gaia

Just the factory GPS in the trucks head unit. If you zoom into at max 700' you will begin to see forest roads and such.

I think that’s the route I’m going. Seems like it has tons of uses instead of a regular GPS.
-
One plus side of having the overlander is it communicates with the in-reach as well and comes fully loaded with maps of North America if memory serves me right. It also helps to have a GPS puck if one is off grid.

-
One plus side of having the overlander is it communicates with the in-reach as well and comes fully loaded with maps of North America if memory serves me right. It also helps to have a GPS puck if one is off grid.
Hm, good point. I’ll be plenty of places where the iPad won’t have service.

Hm, good point. I’ll be plenty of places where the iPad won’t have service.
Thats the biggest part of the garmin that i like. You just use it as a gps receiver and dont need another GPS to have GPS on your ipad. Then also the SOS feature is nice.. Just pair with bluetooth and you will have GPS wherever you go. I just run a wifi only ipad.

Thats the biggest part of the garmin that i like. You just use it as a gps receiver and dont need another GPS to have GPS on your ipad. Then also the SOS feature is nice.. Just pair with bluetooth and you will have GPS wherever you go. I just run a wifi only ipad.
Good to know. That’s new info to me.

I had the opportunity to use one of the Overlanders this weekend. Buddy of mine had to bail out and head back home last minute. I do like the fact that In-reach is included in the overlander since getting one separately runs around $350. I personally have a iPad with cellular which has more uses to me other than providing navigation. I chose the cellular model primarily because it has the necessary GPS chips to still track you even when you don't have service. The overlander UI is based on the Android platform the graphics are nice and I would say really easy to use without much hands on experience. Was able to get myself around the system quickly.

Also the wife likes using the iPad to download her movies while we're cruising down to the trailhead or on longer trips.

I had the opportunity to use one of the Overlanders this weekend. Buddy of mine had to bail out and head back home last minute. I do like the fact that In-reach is included in the overlander since getting one separately runs around $350. I personally have a iPad with cellular which has more uses to me other than providing navigation. I chose the cellular model primarily because it has the necessary GPS chips to still track you even when you don't have service. The overlander UI is based on the Android platform the graphics are nice and I would say really easy to use without much hands on experience. Was able to get myself around the system quickly.

Also the wife likes using the iPad to download her movies while we're cruising down to the trailhead or on longer trips.
Thanks for your insight. I’m still back and forth on what GPS to use. An iPad seems like a no-brainer though. I don’t think I realized the cellular one would still work even when you don’t have service, which is huge.

Thanks for your insight. I’m still back and forth on what GPS to use. An iPad seems like a no-brainer though. I don’t think I realized the cellular one would still work even when you don’t have service, which is huge.

As long as you use GAIA or google maps to download offline maps the GPS will track your location.

As long as you use GAIA or google maps to download offline maps the GPS will track your location.

Also as long as the iPad you purchase has GPS capabilities. I actually had a buddy that bought an iPad for a trip and as soon as we got remote he started having issues. We quickly realized he bought an iPad that did not have GPS and was strictly cellular. ?

Also as long as the iPad you purchase has GPS capabilities. I actually had a buddy that bought an iPad for a trip and as soon as we got remote he started having issues. We quickly realized he bought an iPad that did not have GPS and was strictly cellular. ?
How do you know? I feel like the options are only WiFi or cellular, nothing about GPS?

The 2020 iPad Pro just launched a week ago, I have my eye on it. Just not sure if it can hold up to all my desolated travel on its own (although from what I gather in this thread, it can).

Screen Shot 2020-03-27 at 8.28.04 AM.png

If you take a look at the Tech Specs page it will list the following. I have chosen the cheapest 10.2" iPad for reference, and you can see the WIFI+Cell model does have built in GPS/GNSS

How do you know? I feel like the options are only WiFi or cellular, nothing about GPS?

The 2020 iPad Pro just launched a week ago, I have my eye on it. Just not sure if it can hold up to all my desolated travel on its own (although from what I gather in this thread, it can).

You can look up the specs for each specific device and confirm if it has a GPS antenna.

How are you liking Gaia on the Tab A? Been looking at one to replace an aging iPad mini 2, but I’ve heard good things about gaia performance on Android. That being said, as long as it isn’t crashing on me it’s probably better than this old iPad, and new ones are a pretty penny.

How are you liking Gaia on the Tab A? Been looking at one to replace an aging iPad mini 2, but I’ve heard good things about gaia performance on Android. That being said, as long as it isn’t crashing on me it’s probably better than this old iPad, and new ones are a pretty penny.

Works fine for me. My only gripe with Gaia is how long download times can be. Unfortunately I read that is pretty much the same across all devices.

Works fine for me. My only gripe with Gaia is how long download times can be. Unfortunately I read that is pretty much the same across all devices.

lol, my post meant to say haven’t heard good things about performance. Might pick one up since it could serve double duty for work too, and maybe drop the gps puck. Thanks man

lol, my post meant to say haven’t heard good things about performance. Might pick one up since it could serve double duty for work too, and maybe drop the gps puck. Thanks man

Honestly it works really good in the field. The problem is you have to plan our and download in advance. If you do last minute downloads it could take to long and the download won't complete. If you plan your trips ahead of time it's an easy thing to work around.

Once we're out in the field it's been flawless. The signal connection has been extremely good, and the tracking/route tracing works great. The large number of individual layers is excellent and allows us to plan our trips based on multiple factors.

Overall, despite the cost, I would recommend Gaia. It's a great tool when you go off-grid. I'm now also trying out On-X Offroad as well for future trips.

Honestly it works really good in the field. The problem is you have to plan our and download in advance. If you do last minute downloads it could take to long and the download won't complete. If you plan your trips ahead of time it's an easy thing to work around.

Once we're out in the field it's been flawless. The signal connection has been extremely good, and the tracking/route tracing works great. The large number of individual layers is excellent and allows us to plan our trips based on multiple factors.

Overall, despite the cost, I would recommend Gaia. It's a great tool when you go off-grid. I'm now also trying out On-X Offroad as well for future trips.
I think gaia is okay confused the hell out of me at first but I used it in VT and is easy when you have the trails already mapped out, i also use maps me as a backup because it's a little easier to follow on trails you dont have mapped out

Back