• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Garmin Overlander Navigation

Honestly it works really good in the field. The problem is you have to plan our and download in advance. If you do last minute downloads it could take to long and the download won't complete. If you plan your trips ahead of time it's an easy thing to work around.

Once we're out in the field it's been flawless. The signal connection has been extremely good, and the tracking/route tracing works great. The large number of individual layers is excellent and allows us to plan our trips based on multiple factors.

Overall, despite the cost, I would recommend Gaia. It's a great tool when you go off-grid. I'm now also trying out On-X Offroad as well for future trips.
Sounds good man, you got me convinced! I always pre download and plan my routes on the iPad too, cause my first choice in sites never works out... Been hitting my usual spots pretty hard during this lockdown, excited to start exploring some new spots and get going again!

Does anyone use the 12.9” mounted on their dash? Is that way too big?

We are ordering a 12.9" iPad Pro. @Paige really wants to get into graphic design and video editing for our journey. I can't see its large size being THAT much of nuisance.

We are ordering a 12.9" iPad Pro. @Paige really wants to get into graphic design and video editing for our journey. I can't see its large size being THAT much of nuance.

Where are you guys planning to hang it? We have ours over towards the passenger side and it's an 8.1" screen. We hang it lower so it doesn't block the drivers view. It does block the vent on the middle/passenger side.

Where are you guys planning to hang it? We have ours over towards the passenger side and it's an 8.1" screen. We hang it lower so it doesn't block the drivers view. It does block the vent on the middle/passenger side.
In that same spot for the most part. But it can block the whole stock touchscreen too.

Back