• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Fitting 37” tires on a 3rd Gen Tacoma (with photos)

Should I do it?? That 8in rear end can handle it for sure 🤣
20220808_104318.jpg
How far down the worm hole do you want to go? Once you figure that out the answer will be easy.

How far down the worm hole do you want to go? Once you figure that out the answer will be easy.
Oh I'm not doing it anytime soon. I'm building an off road trailer for a customer at the moment. He wants Methods and 37in Coopers to match his Jeep. Was sizing them up next to my truck as I brought them into the shop. 37s are MASSIVE for these trucks. I want them... but dont have the time to dedicate to fitting them now. Plus that 8in rear will for sure snap lol

Oh I'm not doing it anytime soon. I'm building an off road trailer for a customer at the moment. He wants Methods and 37in Coopers to match his Jeep. Was sizing them up next to my truck as I brought them into the shop. 37s are MASSIVE for these trucks. I want them... but dont have the time to dedicate to fitting them now. Plus that 8in rear will for sure snap lol
There you go….question answered.

Do it!!! I haven’t blown mine up yet so…
I'd like to one day swap the rear end out for a Currie or Dynatrac. When that happens 37s are for sure going on. When I spoke to ECGS the guy warned me to not use 35s bc the 8in rear fails with larger tires after you add a locker 😑 Price I'm paying for liking stripped down trucks lol

This specific group really reinforces my want to go balls to the wall with my truck. I’m taking my time to plan it out and this group helps. So keep giving me ideas. My idea behind my truck from the start has always been to have a go anywhere kind of rig. So beefing everything up is the answer 👍

I'd like to one day swap the rear end out for a Currie or Dynatrac. When that happens 37s are for sure going on. When I spoke to ECGS the guy warned me to not use 35s bc the 8in rear fails with larger tires after you add a locker 😑 Price I'm paying for liking stripped down trucks lol
This specific group really reinforces my want to go balls to the wall with my truck. I’m taking my time to plan it out and this group helps. So keep giving me ideas. My idea behind my truck from the start has always been to have a go anywhere kind of rig. So beefing everything up is the answer 👍

I tell people this all the time and I know a lot of people think I’m talking out my ass, but:

After having 37s for a while, including: driving from coast to coast 5 times; 40,000 miles on the tires; 7,800 lbs fully loaded; Nitro 5.29s; driving the truck hard on road, and on rutted fire roads, and on actual off road trails….

I can conclude that 37s have not been as hard on the truck as people think they’ll be, I guess? If I’m not breaking things (as a direct or indirect result of the 37s), with my heavy ass truck and “rough” driving style, I think most people will be fine if they’re willing to cut fenders and do a cab mount relocate.

I’m not saying the people who warn against it are making things up. I’m just saying I either have a super truck, or 37s are not a huge deal, lol.

I tell people this all the time and I know a lot of people think I’m talking out my ass, but:

After having 37s for a while, including: driving from coast to coast 5 times; 40,000 miles on the tires; 7,800 lbs fully loaded; Nitro 5.29s; driving the truck hard on road, and on rutted fire roads, and on actual off road trails….

I can conclude that 37s have not been as hard on the truck as people think they’ll be, I guess? If I’m not breaking things (as a direct or indirect result of the 37s), with my heavy ass truck and “rough” driving style, I think most people will be fine if they’re willing to cut fenders and do a cab mount relocate.

I’m not saying the people who warn against it are making things up. I’m just saying I either have a super truck, or 37s are not a huge deal, lol.
Yeah I’ve seen your truck in person. It’s beefy and sexy lol. I’m also surprised you haven’t had more problems, but glad you haven’t either of course. I see 40’s in your future 😏. I just like to throw money at my truck 🤷🏼‍♂️ So 37’s and being built to take anything I could throw at it would just be fun lol

Agreed 37s where a deep rabbit hole at first but after the initial first cut-n-pound no worries!

I just lead a Team of 4 rigs through Wyoming with two of them being full size rigs and the Tacoma had the largest tires of them all at 38!

Attachments

• 62702EC5-CB70-445C-A753-EC88B80462D6.jpeg
    62702EC5-CB70-445C-A753-EC88B80462D6.jpeg
    232.5 KB · Views: 114
  • 34174B0D-7AC7-4923-A309-FCCFC7FA5637.jpeg
    34174B0D-7AC7-4923-A309-FCCFC7FA5637.jpeg
    389.1 KB · Views: 108
  • DF3338D1-EF76-4A33-9122-853EF5207605.jpeg
    DF3338D1-EF76-4A33-9122-853EF5207605.jpeg
    238.3 KB · Views: 100
  • 89244175-AFEC-4B0E-89A1-C9FA8A5215EF.jpeg
    89244175-AFEC-4B0E-89A1-C9FA8A5215EF.jpeg
    258.5 KB · Views: 110
  • C0BA9E64-B270-46D1-934E-3B8462A0A895.jpeg
    C0BA9E64-B270-46D1-934E-3B8462A0A895.jpeg
    278.2 KB · Views: 139
  • BC472846-57EB-4467-9B5B-E79796C9B5B7.jpeg
    BC472846-57EB-4467-9B5B-E79796C9B5B7.jpeg
    340.2 KB · Views: 133
  • D29F063D-BDDB-4127-9CB8-7D5B70379974.jpeg
    D29F063D-BDDB-4127-9CB8-7D5B70379974.jpeg
    409.7 KB · Views: 135
Agreed 37s where a deep rabbit hole at first but after the initial first cut-n-pound no worries!

I just lead a Team of 4 rigs through Wyoming with two of them being full size rigs and the Tacoma had the largest tires of them all at 38!
Your truck and Tyler’s are a great inspiration. I follow you both on Instagram as well. Wish I could see yours in person one day as well

How do you like the RCLT? Did you ever get that Currie rear to work or did you go to the Dynatrac?

How do you like the RCLT? Did you ever get that Currie rear to work or did you go to the Dynatrac?
Love the RCLT! Great product for IFS as far as the rear the Currie is for sale and we are on the 21st week of what was supposed to be 16 for the Dynatrac!? There service is nonexistent unfortunately. Was hoping to have it installed before the Wyoming trip.

In the meantime collecting more modifications / parts to be installed when the axle does show!!!

Love the RCLT! Great product for IFS as far as the rear the Currie is for sale and we are on the 21st week of what was supposed to be 16 for the Dynatrac!? There service is nonexistent unfortunately. Was hoping to have it installed before the Wyoming trip.

In the meantime collecting more modifications / parts to be installed when the axle does show!!!
I've had high Hope's for that Currie. Cant imagine how something like the ABS would kill that. Were you trying to convert it to disk and it wouldnt work or was that with the stock drums transferred over? Glad to hear the Marlin kit is worth it. Been eyeing that for the next change up.

I've had high Hope's for that Currie. Cant imagine how something like the ABS would kill that. Were you trying to convert it to disk and it wouldnt work or was that with the stock drums transferred over? Glad to hear the Marlin kit is worth it. Been eyeing that for the next change up.
The Currie came work Wilwood brakes, more then likely going to save it for a future build one with less electrical items like ABS

Your truck definitely validates the 37s. And for sure, if you havent broke anything yet then they really arent as big a deal as some make them out to be. My only concern for my truck is the 8in rear it has with it being an SR model. If it had the 8.75 like yours I'd have bigger tires already bc you've proven the 8.75. I'm actually having my 5.29 gears and Harrop E Locker installed as we speak. I may test the waters with 35s once these new ones burn down.

The Currie came work Wilwood brakes, more then likely going to save it for a future build one with less electrical items like ABS
Have you reached out to Tavllc out of New Mexico? They’ve done multiple Currie 9” swaps on tacomas. Maybe they have knowledge that might help. Also maybe I missed it but what made you change your mind on the Currie and go dynatrac? Just the abs issues?

12600826-6647-4832-83F7-C4FB53145B06.png
C3081B02-BB84-4B82-ADAD-D3B04158021C.png

Have you reached out to Tavllc out of New Mexico? They’ve done multiple Currie 9” swaps on tacomas. Maybe they have knowledge that might help. Also maybe I missed it but what made you change your mind on the Currie and go dynatrac? Just the abs issues?

12600826-6647-4832-83F7-C4FB53145B06.png
C3081B02-BB84-4B82-ADAD-D3B04158021C.png
Great suggestion and yes I have followed there work! It came done to the ABS sensors and a couple other fabrication items that I and my mechanic decided we didn’t want to go down the rabbit hole to correct / so we made an educated decision to order the Dynatrac.

I don’t mind as the Currie I am making plans for a future build,, would just need to get a front that matches! It may go under this guy possibly?

Attachments

• 72C96A47-5D81-40F2-9626-B71DE325D455.jpeg
    72C96A47-5D81-40F2-9626-B71DE325D455.jpeg
    101.5 KB · Views: 96
Your truck definitely validates the 37s. And for sure, if you havent broke anything yet then they really arent as big a deal as some make them out to be. My only concern for my truck is the 8in rear it has with it being an SR model. If it had the 8.75 like yours I'd have bigger tires already bc you've proven the 8.75. I'm actually having my 5.29 gears and Harrop E Locker installed as we speak. I may test the waters with 35s once these new ones burn down.
Yes the 8 to 8.75 makes a difference one of the reasons I am switching the rear axle is the stock housing is bent due to the fact the rig almost rolled so the suspension was overloaded but prior to that incident it had no issues with 37s the IFS front had more problems to deal with then the rear

Ive got 35s on my 8" rear, jumped the truck and its still solid. I'd say run 35s with confidence

Ive got 35s on my 8" rear, jumped the truck and its still solid. I'd say run 35s with confidence
That's encouraging news! I take it you've already swapped gears and locked the rear as well? I do romp on my truck with a lot of weight in it.

That's encouraging news! I take it you've already swapped gears and locked the rear as well? I do romp on my truck with a lot of weight in it.
Imagine that...someone who overloads there truc and romps on it:ROFLMAO: God forbid that never happens!!!

I did! after having 35s, front and rear bumpers and the camper on for about a year. I did notice a huge difference in "power", gas milage hasnt been affected too much

I did! after having 35s, front and rear bumpers and the camper on for about a year. I did notice a huge difference in "power", gas milage hasnt been affected too much
That's good to hear. I've been rolling around with the extra weight for a while. It's not absurdly heavy but I'm down to 11mpg now. Looking forward to it not working as hard. Was hoping for a few MPG back but we'll see.

Back