• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Fitting 37” tires on a 3rd Gen Tacoma (with photos)

Got the rear sitting better. Time to get back to work on the front.

F7B21137-E1E3-4249-BC8F-C44996A7617E.jpeg

Tyler, did you ever get the front leveled out?
Not yet. I decided to take apart most of the front to kill multiple birds with one stone. Steering rack, bad alignment, seized cam bolt, ball joints/tie rods if needed, tubbing firewall, etc. So, for now, the truck is on jack stands undergoing surgery.

Capture.PNG

Could you take a pic inside there? Want to see what you cut, trimmed or folded.
I've been messing with mine. Keep putting it off. Did some straightening and making bends. Hit it with spray paint and oversprayed.
Waiting on some HDPE sheets to show up to make a whole new fender liner.
Bit of an update on this after today. I cut / hammered a bit more to ensure I will have no rubbing on 37s, even at full lock. I still have to get an alignment (again) that will adjust caster to move the tires a bit more forward.

This is hack job semi-temporary until I get back to the west coast and tub the firewall. 🪚

B18C366B-7677-4B4C-B37D-9DF684DA4BD3.jpeg
0D468F28-546A-42FB-A419-1F8A6C4EE0A2.jpeg
7C815245-9541-43D7-92AF-B8731F1BF0CB.jpeg
E0714D0F-7962-4710-A5A1-DA04A3688F31.jpeg
0548D8E9-74C1-4848-B7EF-3F063FB4A09F.jpeg

Are 37s really worth it? It is quite the rabbit hole to down.

Are 37s really worth it? It is quite the rabbit hole to down.
Not at all, unless: you are the type of person that is reckless / believe in “you only live once” / believe in “what’s the point of money if we’re all gonna die anyway / intend to do a solid axle swap in the near future / don’t really mind hacking up your newish $38k truck.

If this sounds like you or someone you know, order 37s now!

That’s been me my whole dumb ass life. Just looking for conformation.

Not at all, unless: you are the type of person that is reckless / believe in “you only live once” / believe in “what’s the point of money if we’re all gonna die anyway / intend to do a solid axle swap in the near future / don’t really mind hacking up your newish $38k truck.

It's annoying enough for 31.5s.

hahaha sounds like me soon. 35s now; Swapping my JBAs for new SPCs so I can move tire a bit then trim a tad more. I plan to tub for 37's in the winter when it doesn't suck as bad to weld. Gonna get an 8lb hammer and smash my firewalls back a bit more. Also will trim my front plastic fenders and or remove completely like TacomaDad

@Tyler @Tacomadad18 @bonifacio @Bird dog

Seen this?:

1628383920281.png

Per their site:

• YEAR-2016 +
  • MODEL-Third Generation Tacoma
  • WIDER PER SIDE- 0"
  • TIRE SIZE RECOMMENDED- 31"-35"
  • WHEEL TRAVEL- Dependent on suspension kit
  • TIRES PUSHED FORWARD- 0.25" to 1"
  • PARTS INCLUDED- Left and right lower arm pivots, front cross bar, skid plate with diff sump, cross bar tab gussets, frame fill plates, custom alignment cams with machined grade 8 bolts, lower arm spacers and all skid plate hardware

• This is a ground breaking kit now offered from JD Fabrications for the 2016+ Tacoma 4x4 and prerunner. The idea behind this kit came from a number of issues that the Tacoma is plagued with once you start adding lift and bigger tires. As lift is added to the suspension the truck looses caster, to the point of not being able to align the truck properly. The old solution was to add an aftermarket upper control arm to correct caster however this also pushes the tire rearward reducing the tire clearance with the cab and body mount. Anything larger than a 31” tire rubs on the cab mount and the solution in the past was to cut the cab mount and weld in a filler plate. The other issues with the Tacoma are the factory lower control arm tabs are stamped out of thin metal that is prone to bending when the truck is used off-road and the factory alignment cams get knocked out of alignment regularly. This lower arm pivot kit tackles all the issues above in style.

• The JD kit consists of new laser cut ¼” lower arm tabs that are welded to 1 ½” .188 tubing. Once the factory lower control arm tabs are cut off the frame the new cradle uses 4 locating tabs which line up with factory holes in the stock cross members. The locating tabs take all the guess work out of the install and align the new cradle in the perfect position on the frame. Once the cradle is bolted to the frame the ¼” arm tabs are welded to the frame and you’re good to go.

• The magic is in the new lower arm tab spacing as they are 1” wider than the factory mounts. Machined 6061 aluminum spacer pucks are installed with the lower arm and the lower control can be pushed forward at 1/4” increments all the way 1” At a full one 1” forward we were able to have full tire clearance for a 33” tire all the way through the travel with no cutting of the body mount or firewall/pinch seam. By pushing the lower arm forward 1” we were able to gain back the caster lost from the lift and the truck aligned to factory spec with the arm in the center of the adjustment range thus eliminating any side load on the bushings.

• Another trick feature of this kit is the custom laser cut alignment cams. We have eliminated the factory cams in place of ¾” and 9/16” grade 8 bolts. Once the truck is aligned there are holes in the tops of the cams that can be match drilled into the lower arm tabs allowing you to bolt the cams in place thus eliminating the ability to knock the truck out of alignment.

• All if this is then topped off with a custom high clearance, flat bottom 3/16” aluminum skid plate that has a custom bolt on steel diff skid plate.

• If you are after the one stop solution to all of the Tacoma’s short comings this is it. This kit is compatible with all long travel kits as well. After all why spend all that money on heavy duty, fancy long travel kits only to bolt it on to the weak stock frame mounts? If you are serious about your Tacoma and use it in the dirt this is a must have kit. Run the lower kit by its self and tie it into your existing off-road bumper or pair it with our “trophy truck style” bumper for the total package.

• This kit must be installed by a qualified professional only, cutting, grinding and extensive welding are required.

Attachments

• 1628383911786.png
    1628383911786.png
    40.6 KB · Views: 79
@Tyler @Tacomadad18 @bonifacio @Bird dog

Seen this?:

1628383920281.png

Per their site:

• YEAR-2016 +
  • MODEL-Third Generation Tacoma
  • WIDER PER SIDE- 0"
  • TIRE SIZE RECOMMENDED- 31"-35"
  • WHEEL TRAVEL- Dependent on suspension kit
  • TIRES PUSHED FORWARD- 0.25" to 1"
  • PARTS INCLUDED- Left and right lower arm pivots, front cross bar, skid plate with diff sump, cross bar tab gussets, frame fill plates, custom alignment cams with machined grade 8 bolts, lower arm spacers and all skid plate hardware

• This is a ground breaking kit now offered from JD Fabrications for the 2016+ Tacoma 4x4 and prerunner. The idea behind this kit came from a number of issues that the Tacoma is plagued with once you start adding lift and bigger tires. As lift is added to the suspension the truck looses caster, to the point of not being able to align the truck properly. The old solution was to add an aftermarket upper control arm to correct caster however this also pushes the tire rearward reducing the tire clearance with the cab and body mount. Anything larger than a 31” tire rubs on the cab mount and the solution in the past was to cut the cab mount and weld in a filler plate. The other issues with the Tacoma are the factory lower control arm tabs are stamped out of thin metal that is prone to bending when the truck is used off-road and the factory alignment cams get knocked out of alignment regularly. This lower arm pivot kit tackles all the issues above in style.

• The JD kit consists of new laser cut ¼” lower arm tabs that are welded to 1 ½” .188 tubing. Once the factory lower control arm tabs are cut off the frame the new cradle uses 4 locating tabs which line up with factory holes in the stock cross members. The locating tabs take all the guess work out of the install and align the new cradle in the perfect position on the frame. Once the cradle is bolted to the frame the ¼” arm tabs are welded to the frame and you’re good to go.

• The magic is in the new lower arm tab spacing as they are 1” wider than the factory mounts. Machined 6061 aluminum spacer pucks are installed with the lower arm and the lower control can be pushed forward at 1/4” increments all the way 1” At a full one 1” forward we were able to have full tire clearance for a 33” tire all the way through the travel with no cutting of the body mount or firewall/pinch seam. By pushing the lower arm forward 1” we were able to gain back the caster lost from the lift and the truck aligned to factory spec with the arm in the center of the adjustment range thus eliminating any side load on the bushings.

• Another trick feature of this kit is the custom laser cut alignment cams. We have eliminated the factory cams in place of ¾” and 9/16” grade 8 bolts. Once the truck is aligned there are holes in the tops of the cams that can be match drilled into the lower arm tabs allowing you to bolt the cams in place thus eliminating the ability to knock the truck out of alignment.

• All if this is then topped off with a custom high clearance, flat bottom 3/16” aluminum skid plate that has a custom bolt on steel diff skid plate.

• If you are after the one stop solution to all of the Tacoma’s short comings this is it. This kit is compatible with all long travel kits as well. After all why spend all that money on heavy duty, fancy long travel kits only to bolt it on to the weak stock frame mounts? If you are serious about your Tacoma and use it in the dirt this is a must have kit. Run the lower kit by its self and tie it into your existing off-road bumper or pair it with our “trophy truck style” bumper for the total package.

• This kit must be installed by a qualified professional only, cutting, grinding and extensive welding are required.
I’ve never heard of it. It seemed interesting at first but unless I’m missing something, 1” of extra clearance isn’t very intriguing for $1000.

I currently have whatever amount of clearance this is:

68D5F793-DB45-4D36-9815-03C6DEA385EC.jpegC03BD3B6-9203-44EF-ACE8-EED8583786CF.jpeg

And I haven’t used caster to move the tires forward yet (I’m doing that on Tuesday).

So I don’t think this thing is a good idea for anyone.

Thanks for sharing it though. I’m surprised I’ve never heard of it.

I’ve never heard of it. It seemed interesting at first but unless I’m missing something, 1” of extra clearance isn’t very intriguing for $1000.

I currently have whatever amount of clearance this is:

68D5F793-DB45-4D36-9815-03C6DEA385EC.jpegC03BD3B6-9203-44EF-ACE8-EED8583786CF.jpeg

And I haven’t used caster to move the tires forward yet (I’m doing that on Tuesday).

So I don’t think this thing is a good idea for anyone.

Thanks for sharing it though. I’m surprised I’ve never heard of it.
Those guys are actually pretty cool. Terra crew just did a walk around video of their shop - lots of taco brains. Lots of guys would be excited to pay 1k for another inch 😉

It's cool that it solves other problems too. However, with plans for sas probably not worth it.

Those guys are actually pretty cool. Terra crew just did a walk around video of their shop - lots of taco brains. Lots of guys would be excited to pay 1k for another inch 😉

It's cool that it solves other problems too. However, with plans for sas probably not worth it.
Good to know. But yeah, with sas in the future I can’t justify it.

I’ll check out the video. Here it is if anyone wants it:

Original link: https://youtu.be/6IH3UK8Gw8Q

i got a 6 inch lift with some 17x9 wheels on 37x12.5 nitto grapplers im installing it in like 3 weeks so thats gonna be interesting lmao

Yep. That'll be interesting indeed.

i got a 6 inch lift with some 17x9 wheels on 37x12.5 nitto grapplers im installing it in like 3 weeks so thats gonna be interesting lmao
To be honest, it’s not as in depth as people make it seem. Yes, it’s a commitment. But now that I’ve done it and have over 20k on and off road miles on them, I actually think it’s a reasonable thing to do for people who no longer care about keeping their truck not hacked up, lol

If you're a fabricator at heart (or loaded with cash, either way) the Marlin RCLT kit is apparently the next big thing for fitting 37"+ tires with ease, and without hacking up the truck *too* much.

Nate of Dirt Lifestyle just started his install and is in the midst of throwing 38's on his taco. If you haven't seen it:

Original link: https://youtu.be/04WkUSRzYSk

If you're a fabricator at heart (or loaded with cash, either way) the Marlin RCLT kit is apparently the next big thing for fitting 37"+ tires with ease, and without hacking up the truck *too* much.

Nate of Dirt Lifestyle just started his install and is in the midst of throwing 38's on his taco. If you haven't seen it:

Original link: https://youtu.be/04WkUSRzYSk
Nate has the wider versions. I just installed the +2.75 RCLT but have not put it to work yet as we are still messing with the rear suspension set upRCLT1.jpgRCLT2.jpg

Last edited:
Nate has the wider versions. I just installed the +2.75 RCLT but have not put it to work yet as we are still messing with the rear suspension set upRCLT1.jpgRCLT2.jpg
That's badass! Do you have pictures with the tires on?

Been following Nate's build myself. His rear axle is looking sweet too.

That's badass! Do you have pictures with the tires on?

Been following Nate's build myself. His rear axle is looking sweet too.
No sir...rig is in the shop currently. I have a Currie axel I ordered for the rear as the factory is bent with 35 spline, full float, 5.29 gears, ARB locker and full length back truss, however we are having issues on install due to the ABS sensors? Working on a plan to eliminate the ABS or I may have to go a different route and sell the Currie!

Oh man- Thats great! Maybe one day I'll have this kind of dough.

I'm really curious to see how these perform. The way they are designed seems to retain all of the function of a regular long travel kit but with more under-arm clearance. I feel like it could be a really great hybrid kit allowing for tons of clearance and flex for rock crawling while also being able to function as a standard long travel kit that can be used for blasting around at high speeds akin to a normal long travel.

Oh man- Thats great! Maybe one day I'll have this kind of dough.

I'm really curious to see how these perform. The way they are designed seems to retain all of the function of a regular long travel kit but with more under-arm clearance. I feel like it could be a really great hybrid kit allowing for tons of clearance and flex for rock crawling while also being able to function as a standard long travel kit that can be used for blasting around at high speeds akin to a normal long travel.
Exactly in addition to the coil overs I am adding bypass shocks in the front as well....not dough but debt! Actually I have been collection parts for some time so its not a all in one cost, cry once buy once and I have done too much of buying more then once NOT to learn me lesson LOL

No sir...rig is in the shop currently. I have a Currie axel I ordered for the rear as the factory is bent with 35 spline, full float, 5.29 gears, ARB locker and full length back truss, however we are having issues on install due to the ABS sensors? Working on a plan to eliminate the ABS or I may have to go a different route and sell the Currie!
I can't wait to do all of this to mine when I'm done with the overland camper phase.

When we're done with living in the camper, the camper and everything else (front, rear bumpers, roof rack, ditch lights) are coming off the truck. The wheels are coming off. Then I'm going to build it similar to you / Nate / @Tacomadad18.

No bumpers (or super basic tubing), spare tire laying flat ratchet strapped in the bed with no tailgate, bead locks, 38s or 40s, front and rear air locked, rear truss. Then I'll have to decide what to do with the front axle. And that will be my truck.

This right here is music to my eyes. 🤩

AC2CAE5F-DBDD-4E8F-A3F4-269118B5E90E.jpeg
55EF1811-0473-43B0-934B-C30EC1AC3EDF.jpeg

What did you use to coat the inside of the wheel well? It looks super smooth. I’ve been looking for something like that.

Back