• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

T3G Feedback and questions about Tacoma3G.com - How can our community and website be better?

Having been a member of another forum as well as Facebook groups. This is the one site i actually feel laid back posting a question and expecting a good respectable answer. Especially if sometimes I am just thinking out loud and it may be a dumb question. So I would say for me personally I am more encouraged to post here versus discouraged.

I'd like to add that I want forums to stay around and be strong. A lot of people post in Facebook groups, and I personally find it super annoying, the same stupid questions over and over, and I feel it turns people into babies, just waiting there til the world comes to answer their questions.

So happy to be apart of this forum and others, long live forums

I plan on purchasing your hammer hangers and a few things from ya in a couple days! So expect some dumb questions hahah

I'd like to add that I want forums to stay around and be strong. A lot of people post in Facebook groups, and I personally find it super annoying, the same stupid questions over and over, and I feel it turns people into babies, just waiting there til the world comes to answer their questions.

Couldn't agree more. I've been on forums since 2005. I hate Facebook in general.

I'd be more active if my build wasn't on pause :( I'm running low on inspiration during this lockdown and I'm across the country from my truck :(

Good luck with the new web host, I've noticed the outages and other latency. I imagine someone on your shared host has some backup process or something heavy taking the cpu or db cycles away from serving t3g :/ good luck!

I'd be more active if my build wasn't on pause :( I'm running low on inspiration during this lockdown and I'm across the country from my truck :(

Good luck with the new web host, I've noticed the outages and other latency. I imagine someone on your shared host has some backup process or something heavy taking the cpu or db cycles away from serving t3g :/ good luck!
I feel you. I don’t have much motivation to work on my camper right now. Depressing times.

You would think that, but the last host was actually a VPS, not shared, so I don’t think there is an excuse. They just sucked.

Also, love the idea of the ROTM contest. However I've noticed that unless you're early you won't get the votes. So people that have awesome pictures but post a few days late don't have a chance.

Think a better way to do it is to open a window for submissions, lock in submissions, then have a voting window for all the submissions.
I second this. Also...I like my setup but am not finished with it. And some of the pics people take...I'm like dafaq?! Their truck a model?! Because I see some and know mine won't compare... let alone some of the backgrounds or backdrops people are taking their pics in are awesome!

I second this. Also...I like my setup but am not finished with it. And some of the pics people take...I'm like dafaq?! Their truck a model?! Because I see some and know mine won't compare... let alone some of the backgrounds or backdrops people are taking their pics in are awesome!
I think a stock or near-stock truck in a beautiful location should be able to win. I post them on our Instagram all the time.

I’m thinking we should do a month where only “stock” trucks can enter. The rules would be stock bumpers, stock wheels, no bed rack, no roof racks. Lift, larger tires, bed caps, hidden winches, and lighting are ok.

What do you guys think about that?

I think a stock or near-stock truck in a beautiful location should be able to win. I post them on our Instagram all the time.

I’m thinking we should do a month where only “stock” trucks can enter. The rules would be stock bumpers, stock wheels, no bed rack, no roof racks. Lift, larger tires, bed caps, hidden winches, and lighting are ok.

can I enter with pictures of my truck from when it was stock? 😂

can I enter with pictures of my truck from when it was stock? 😂
https://tacoma3g.com/threads/rotm-i...s-to-give-more-members-a-chance-to-win.10346/

Haha I mean I may or may not have done this. I try to research before just posting. I also sometimes scroll and scroll and scroll just to see if someone else posted or asked similar question.

Haha...well...that would be cool...but I don't fall under those guidelines either! Haha. I think both options are great...opens the playing field. Maybe those that are stock and want to upgrade...having a change at a prize that would help them upgrade would be great too.

That makes a lot of sense. A lot of the posts there are pretty much little cliques talking about bullshit in on-topic threads, or flaming people. I won't say there isn't a lot of good content still mixed in, because there is.

Thanks, those threads do exist, but they don't get posted in much. I made those threads in our photos section. I know they are popular on TW and I also enjoy looking through them. But for some reason, no one really posted their trucks in those threads here.

I also love the RotM, I'm so glad we are doing that every month now. You are very right about that problem and I wasn't sure how to deal with it, but your suggestion is great. We're going to move to that system next month.
After reading this post I finally realized there was a photos/videos subsection, so I went digging and also found the tutorials. If posts are made in those subsections do they show up in the list for the broader section or do you have to click the photos/videos tab to view the new threads.

After reading this post I finally realized there was a photos/videos subsection, so I went digging and also found the tutorials. If posts are made in those subsections do they show up in the list for the broader section or do you have to click the photos/videos tab to view the new threads.
You do have to click into those sections to see them. Maybe that is why people don’t notice that stuff?

However, all new posts from any section do show up here: https://tacoma3g.com/whats-new/posts/

You can get to that list of new posts by clicking the lightening bolt at the top right of the website.

I wonder how many other people don’t notice those sections. Maybe I should move them out into their own areas?

I wonder how many other people don’t notice those sections. Maybe I should move them out into their own areas?
I think the tutorials and product reviews should be separate from the technical section and the photos/videos should either be separate or incorporated into the general section vice being the only subsection of a section. Also this is all just my opinion, not sure how others would feel.

You do have to click into those sections to see them. Maybe that is why people don’t notice that stuff?

However, all new posts from any section do show up here: https://tacoma3g.com/whats-new/posts/

You can get to that list of new posts by clicking the lightening bolt at the top right of the website.
After browsing the photo and tutorial threads I realized I have been in those sections before as I now mainly use the lightning bolt to see whats new so I have seen recent posts I just hadn’t seen any of the older threads.

I think the tutorials and product reviews should be separate from the technical section and the photos/videos should either be separate or incorporated into the general section vice being the only subsection of a section. Also this is all just my opinion, not sure how others would feel.
I think the photos and videos could have enough content in it to become its own section. And maybe that would also encourage people to create more themed photo threads.

Thinking about it now, product reviews makes no sense as a sub section of troubleshooting. Tutorials really doesn’t either. Tomorrow, I think I’m going to move those out as well, though for these two I’m concerned they won’t be posted in enough so it might look like we have an inactive section on our homepage.

After browsing the photo and tutorial threads I realized I have been in those sections before as I now mainly use the lightning bolt to see whats new so I have seen recent posts I just hadn’t seen any of the older threads.
I wish I could know how many members use the lightning bolt vs how many manually click into the different sections. I actually do both.

I think the photos and videos could have enough content in it to become its own section. And maybe that would also encourage people to create more themed photo threads.

Thinking about it now, product reviews makes no sense as a sub section of troubleshooting. Tutorials really doesn’t either. Tomorrow, I think I’m going to move those out as well, though for these two I’m concerned they won’t be posted in enough so it might look like we have an inactive section on our homepage.
I think I have a solution to this:

No more tutorial or review sections. Instead, I add “tutorial” and “review” as a prefix option in each section (general, wheels / armor / suspension, overland gear), then I make it so you can use two prefixes for one thread.

So, if you are making a tutorial on how to install leaf springs, it could look like this:

Go into suspension section
Create new thread
Choose [Suspension] and [Tutorial]
Thread title looks like this:
[Suspension][Tutorial] How to install leaf springs in your driveway

Likewise, for a review:
Go into overland gear section
Create new thread
Choose [Tents] and [Review]
[Tents][Review] My thoughts after 6 months of my Smittybilt RTT

I have no background in internet forum management so I don’t know how much an inactive section matters but tutorials could all be moved under the tab at the top of the page and product reviews into the vendor section. You could also sticky the themed photo threads but then I feel like there would be a lot of photo stickys and then someone like me would say that if you have so many photo threads you should just make it a separate section of the general discussion section 😜

I think I have a solution to this:

No more tutorial or review sections. Instead, I add “tutorial” and “review” as a prefix option in each section (general, wheels / armor / suspension, overland gear), then I make it so you can use two prefixes for one thread.

So, if you are making a tutorial on how to install leaf springs, it could look like this:

Go into suspension section
Create new thread
Choose [Suspension] and [Tutorial]
[Suspension][Tutorial] How to install leaf springs in your driveway

Likewise, for a review:
Go into overland gear section
Create new thread
Choose [Tents] and [Review]
[Tents][Review] My thoughts after 6 months of my Smittybilt RTT

This could also work

I have no background in internet forum management so I don’t know how much an inactive section matters but tutorials could all be moved under the tab at the top of the page and product reviews into the vendor section. You could also sticky the themed photo threads but then I feel like there would be a lot of photo stickys and then someone like me would say that if you have so many photo threads you should just make it a separate section of the general discussion section 😜
Yeah, I don’t want to have too many stickies.

Product reviews really should be in the vendor sections. I just think they will be seen less that way. But that is what makes the most sense.

See my above posts about tutorials. I’m gonna try it tomorrow.

My criticism is mostly nitpicky but I think overall the site is great because its friendly and people are quick to let you know a negative attitude isn’t welcome 😉

I’ve already started making a bunch of revisions to the forum structure and I will continue in the morning.

I’ll make it clear tomorrow what has been changed but so far I’m really liking these little updates.

This is a great forum compared to other ones I have been on. It’s an endless collection of knowledge and ideas. The only problem I have run into is viewing pics. A lot of times when I click on a photo half of it is cut off.
The photo thing seems to be working on my iPhone as of the server move. Is it working for you guys now?

The photo thing seems to be working on my iPhone as of the server move. Is it working for you guys now?
I check a few posts and the pictures are still coming up cut off. I attached a screen shot.

Attachments

• 0E1630CA-14C6-45BE-945E-096BCC2A96ED.png
    0E1630CA-14C6-45BE-945E-096BCC2A96ED.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 66
Back