• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Early welcome to the super-top-secret lounge for supporting members!

If the Tacoma had a CD player, I'd still have CDs. However, Spotify is pretty great - been listening to a lot of Dio-era Sabbath recently.

One thing that drew me to T3G was that it didn't look like a typical forum with sparse layouts, crappy "soft" color schemes (i.e. that weird blueish grey background), a shitty 90s or early 2000s-looking home page, and the use of those pixilated smiles in every post.
I was on Spotify and just swapped over to Tidal for the lossless audio quality. Can't tell a difference in the truck, but there's a huge difference when playing music on my home entertainment system! Spotify's app is significantly better, though.

I agree with you. I don't typically frequent forums and if I do, I typically lurk and never post. But this forum here seems significantly more welcoming than others I've visited and the layout is nice, too. Just for the community alone, I'm glad I found this site.

@AdventureDan71 if you subscribe to the paid version of Spotify you can add music to your library and download songs or whole albums for offline listening.

Last edited by a moderator:
@saboltoothtiger do you get streaming lags? Can you download songs for offline playing when you get into dodgy cell coverage?
I do get some lags when streaming, but only when I'm in a region with bad coverage or when I'm using the Amazon app - without fail Spotify cuts out. It could be my phone, I'm still rocking a iphone XR. And yes, you can download for offline listening. it's nice for flights or while I'm at work.
I was on Spotify and just swapped over to Tidal for the lossless audio quality. Can't tell a difference in the truck, but there's a huge difference when playing music on my home entertainment system! Spotify's app is significantly better, though.

I agree with you. I don't typically frequent forums and if I do, I typically lurk and never post. But this forum here seems significantly more welcoming than others I've visited and the layout is nice, too. Just for the community alone, I'm glad I found this site.
Thanks! I'll have to look in to Tidal. Never heard of it until now.

Yeah, this forum's community is rad!

Tidal would be for me, IF I had a way to maximize the quality. I doubt my sound bar would do it any favors.

For me I'll stick to Spotify Premium. Wife and I stream probably 12 hrs out of the day combined. So having downloaded playlists work great for me. I have awful service at work, so I just download a new genre weekly to keep it fresh. Plus I can listen to music on the trails where service is sparce.

For sure, not worth the money if you don't have a device that can let the quality shine especially at almost twice the price of Spotify. As I said, I can't tell a difference in the truck and only really hear it at home on my bigger speakers or through my headphones when plugged into the amp. The only difference that I notice in the truck is less clipping and distortion at higher volumes, but it doesn't really matter because by the time I get to those volumes the speakers sound like shit anyways.

Is this the lounge, or is the lounge somewhere else? I say the shout box, but It looks a little Twittery. I have a problem with paying too much attention to stuff like that so I have to just not look at it at all.
This can be one of the lounges, lol. The forum we are in right now is new. It was added as a suggestion when I asked about what perks people who donate could have. Since it is new and I'm still working on a bunch of experimental features, I've kind of just been using it as a place to show you guys little previews of what I'm working on.

The original/main lounge is Off-Topic Lounge which is open to everyone.

The shoutbox was also a suggestion and pretty much experimental because I don't think it is going to end up getting popular so it might go away.

Pretty turned off by Instagram, even though I used to love that platform. I can barely interact with my phone without wanting to stomp it into the dirt.
Me too. I've used Instagram since its launch and it used to be a great app for its simplicity. Obviously they have slowly ruined it over the years and now it's at the point where it's painful for me to open so I hardly do. But I still feel obligated to.

Sometimes I'll go 24-48 hours without looking at my phone at all, including text messages. The pacing of text messages is too much for me.

Anyway, forums are very 2001 for me so this feels old school...
Classic forums like this are my favorite. Very nostalgic for me as well.

Last edited:
Did any of you guys use Xenga? That was a staple for me back in 04-05
Oh man. Are we about to go on an internet nostalgia trip?

Angelfire sites
Geocities sites
Xanga
LiveJournal
eBaum's World
Webpage visitor counters
Guestbooks
Under construction signs
RealPlayer
Kazaa
LimeWire
BearShare
phpBB
vBulletin
Photobucket
Ask Jeeves

so many more that I can't think of because my memory is crap

Oh man. Are we about to go on an internet nostalgia trip?

Angelfire sites
Geocities sites
Xanga
LiveJournal
eBaum's World
Webpage visitor counters
Guestbooks
Under construction signs
RealPlayer
Kazaa
LimeWire
BearShare
phpBB
vBulletin
Photobucket
Ask Jeeves

so many more that I can't think of because my memory is crap
Ebaum's World is still active !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I never stopped buying CDs....although I've had to rely more on music streaming services now that my radio can't even take CD"s.
I've been "collecting" music for most of my life but I definitely welcome the music streaming services. They killed the excitement of buying a new CD -- first, finding a store that actually has the CD, then trying to get the parental advisory version depending on your age, then getting home and reading the little book that came inside the case, then listening to every song in its entirety, in order, over and over. That was fun. But the streaming services make discovering new stuff so easy and I love hearing new stuff.

One thing that drew me to T3G was that it didn't look like a typical forum with sparse layouts, crappy "soft" color schemes (i.e. that weird blueish grey background), a shitty 90s or early 2000s-looking home page, and the use of those pixilated smiles in every post.
1647450140176.png

I do a lot of trail running and want to find a source of music that doesn't depend on cell signal.
Like everyone else said, use a streaming service and download to your phone at your house. I didn't see anyone mention it, but I use Apple Music because it makes build and organizing my library easier compared to Spotify. But that only matters if you're into that part of it. If you just want to hear the music, all of the services are pretty good.

Wife and I stream probably 12 hrs out of the day combined. So having downloaded playlists work great for me.
Same.

I still "scrobble" my songs to Last.fm if anyone remembers that. Talk about 2000s, lol.

I've been "collecting" music for most of my life but I definitely welcome the music streaming services. They killed the excitement of buying a new CD -- first, finding a store that actually has the CD, then trying to get the parental advisory version depending on your age, then getting home and reading the little book that came inside the case, then listening to every song in its entirety, in order, over and over. That was fun. But the streaming services make discovering new stuff so easy and I love hearing new stuff.

I agree that streaming services have killed the excitement of buying a new CD for the most part. There's only a few bands anymore that I buy their new albums as soon as they come out regardless of whether they're on streaming services or not. I've got a few thousand cd's, some of which are worth a pretty penny now due to being either original releases or out of press. Any more I will typically buy a CD AFTER listening to an album for a while. whereas I used to buy albums left and right without ever hearing them first.

I want to just go back to when I had a box full to mix tapes my wife made me in college. I'm going to put on some Big Head Todd and pine for the glory days.

My wife and I kick Bezos a few bucks every month to help pay for his ultra mega yacht.... But Amazon Prime hhas been having streaming problems lately. Not sure if my phone is starting to suck or what. I have noticed often when I put my phone on the QI charger in the truck.

@saboltoothtiger do you get streaming lags? Can you download songs for offline playing when you get into dodgy cell coverage?

I do a lot of trail running and want to find a source of music that doesn't depend on cell signal.
I use Apple Music now and download stuff I want to my phone. It works well and you can select downloaded as a filter and only play that music. IT has other issues. but it works OK.

Agreed - just reading this thread now and found that. Army Green Dark is great.
It makes me wonder how many people would enjoy switching colors but have never noticed they can. I'll have to see if I can make that functionality more noticeable.

Bandcamp is the way to go, for me. A lot of the money actually goes to the artist, and I like that I can just convert the FLAC files to MP3s and store it all locally on my phone. Especially good for when I lose service.

The other streaming services are pathetic with ads, and don't give the artist's I play the money anyway. So it works better for me, but it can be very expensive if people really listen to a ton of different music.

That's funny, @406Camper. Not only do I use the dark theme on this site, but I also enabled Chrome's dark mode setting. Plus an extension for when Chrome's version looks weird. Sometimes I have to squint when I open a browser on a work computer.

I very much like how there is a built in way to theme this site. Not a common thing

I think you're the only person with a face avatar on here, it's ridiculous, and absolutely everywhere... What a great way to come back after a few busy weeks!

Been liking some of the small changes that I see, and excited to see the bigger updates.

I think you're the only person with a face avatar on here, it's ridiculous, and absolutely everywhere... What a great way to come back after a few busy weeks!

Been liking some of the small changes that I see, and excited to see the bigger updates.
Lol, thank you. I love the avatar that I was using because it suits the website/administrator position well but I was feeling a little spicy the other day and changed it to this one.

Just chiming in, @Tyler, are you sure about restricting PMs? I feel that this may deterr some people from wanting to browse on a standard basis, in case they wish to PM someone about a sale, for example. Just thinking out loud, I know I'm a bit late here.

Just chiming in, @Tyler, are you sure about restricting PMs? I feel that this may deterr some people from wanting to browse on a standard basis, in case they wish to PM someone about a sale, for example. Just thinking out loud, I know I'm a bit late here.
I agree with this. Especially for selling/buying. Besides, I don’t benefit by restricting it; PMs don’t use much server data.

Back