• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

drizzoh's build thread

Oooh. The open door beep. Forgot about that one. That crap would annoy me but I guess I just block it out now.
It is a silly notification. Like no shit, I know my door is open. But then when you close and open it again, it doesn't.
I might have to look at mine again.

Stew really needs a rewards program...
I just got sick of pressing the plunger every time. Not to mention I park half the time with the door open to make sure I'm in the exact right spot so my garage door can close and the siren screaming at me drove me fuckin nuts. Now the issue is gone completely. :)

Going to yank the speaker out of my tC soon and see if it has any ill-effects because its door beep is pretty obnoxious too.

I just got sick of pressing the plunger every time. Not to mention I park half the time with the door open to make sure I'm in the exact right spot so my garage door can close and the siren screaming at me drove me fuckin nuts. Now the issue is gone completely. :)

Going to yank the speaker out of my tC soon and see if it has any ill-effects because its door beep is pretty obnoxious too.
You just mentioning your tC makes me want my tC back.
Now I'm debating if I want to send Stew another $200 or not... FML.

You just mentioning your tC makes me want my tC back.
Now I'm debating if I want to send Stew another $200 or not... FML.
He's done a grip to correct annoying things on this platform for sure. The steering wheel fix was only $50 though, what else do you need to grab? Lol.

He's done a grip to correct annoying things on this platform for sure. The steering wheel fix was only $50 though, what else do you need to grab? Lol.
Probably new Key Fobs. My main one went through the wash too many times. Board is fried and I guess the heat got to the plastic and it began to crack. Possibly the headlight trim plates. Not sure how I feel about how they would look. The Switchbacks. Corny as well, but I like the idea of them being white DRLs. Have the Morimoto ones now. I've been putting off swapping the map and dome lights to the newest ones. Why I hate revisions. ALL THE TIME!

Grabbed the MESO Steering Wheel Control Fix kit pretty much the second it was released and threw it on this weekend. With going back and forth between driving a few different vehicles regularly, I could never get used to the ass-backwards setup this truck came with. Was originally going to just swap out the button and then reprogram my Maestro to match, but it was too easy to just throw in the MESO board while it was apart since the stock board needed to come out anyway. Was a very painless install. Using a magnet helped to pull the 2 T25's for the airbag out so it was able actually come out of the car. They're kept bolts but didn't just fall out of the airbag after loosening like the video would have you think. I also kept the factory-colored steering wheel trim and I like how it looks with the rest of my interior color scheme, but I removed both to add some felt tape between them and the wheel itself to help it sound less plasticky and feel a bit more solid.

I got used to the button placement immediately. With the touch screen Pioneer HU, I rely on the steering wheel controls almost exclusively while driving and it's so nice to not have to think about what button is what anymore. This upgrade worth it just for the 3d aspect with the tactile feel of it.

Comparison:

[IMG]

Installed:

[IMG]

A must needed mod, thank you for reminding me they went on sale, just picked up a set.

Probably new Key Fobs. My main one went through the wash too many times. Board is fried and I guess the heat got to the plastic and it began to crack. Possibly the headlight trim plates. Not sure how I feel about how they would look. The Switchbacks. Corny as well, but I like the idea of them being white DRLs. Have the Morimoto ones now. I've been putting off swapping the map and dome lights to the newest ones. Why I hate revisions. ALL THE TIME!
SPEND ZE MONEY NAO. Not all revisions are good tho, their v2 fuse box cover fits like crap and its fuse puller is unusable.

A must needed mod, thank you for reminding me they went on sale, just picked up a set.
I do what I can, lol.

SPEND ZE MONEY NAO. Not all revisions are good tho, their v2 fuse box cover fits like crap and its fuse puller is unusable.
Definitely get that. I usually bite for when it's something that benefits me or is an actual upgrade. I hate when places release a revision and it turns out to be a downgrade to save on production costs.

okay, so did not care at first about the MESO steering wheel control fix and now I am not sure I can live without it haha

are their instructions pretty good?

okay, so did not care at first about the MESO steering wheel control fix and now I am not sure I can live without it haha

are their instructions pretty good?
They have pretty good install instructions for most of their parts with videos showing how to do it. My screws would not release from the airbag without a magnet but after I touched the screws with it the airbag was able to come out just like it does in the vid.

Yup. I found a bundle on eBay with a full new kit from a Toyota dealership. It would be significantly cheaper to buy used, but all the used boxes I found were damaged and thought my truck with 5k miles deserved parts that matched.

I just needed the tools to cut the bed and a nutsert tool + M6 nutserts to use to secure the box to the truck. A dremel with plastic cutting disk cut thru the composite bed without any problems. I also used a step-bit to drill the corner holes first to hopefully prevent any cracking from adding this.
do you happen to have measurements for locating this?

definitely miss this from my '17 and looking forward to getting this put in - thank you!

do you happen to have measurements for locating this?

definitely miss this from my '17 and looking forward to getting this put in - thank you!
I just matched it up with the box on the other side of the truck. They're the same dimensions.

Picked up a 30" Baja Designs S8 light bar a few weeks ago during the huge 21% off sale at Showstoppers and wired it up this weekend. Mounted it using the CaliRaisedLed brackets and trimmed the air diversion panels in order to reuse them with the light bar brackets in place. I need to do some tuning to the adjustment and grab a second relay to power the backlight off a second switch (BD has their switch configured to send power thru the switch which I don't want to do with a push-button style switch), but it fits really clean and subtle and is super bright. Hopefully I'll have time to adjust it soon.

[IMG]

And a shot of the bar with the air diversion panels installed.

[IMG]

Adjusted:

[IMG]

Last edited:
The Taco build is almost wrapped up and I had an opportunity to grab my attainable dream car, so the truck got a new roommate.

Meet the new 1987 Supra Turbo 5spd w/ targa top.. Oh, and only 69k miles.
:headbang:

[IMG]

I have my 2 forever cars now. <3

The Taco build is almost wrapped up and I had an opportunity to grab my attainable dream car, so the truck got a new roommate.

Meet the new 1987 Supra Turbo 5spd w/ targa top.. Oh, and only 69k miles.
:headbang:

[IMG]

I have my 2 forever cars now. <3
Damn hell yeah! That’s awesome at so low mileage and that color is beautiful.

Damn hell yeah! That’s awesome at so low mileage and that color is beautiful.
Thank you d00d! Been looking for one of these for 5+ years and this is the best one I've seen up for grabs - absolutely could not pass it up!

congratulations on the Supra, I knew there was something I liked about you!

Been spending most of my time doing Supra stuff lately, but the relay for the S8 backlighting finally showed up so I got that installed this week. I can run the backlight off its own factory-style push switch now.

[IMG]

What lights are on the lower grille?
Also, since you've moved onto your Supra, you can always donate the Performance Pedals to me. Just saying.

What lights are on the lower grille?
Also, since you've moved onto your Supra, you can always donate the Performance Pedals to me. Just saying.
Lol nopeeeeee I just can't decide if I want to put them on the truck lol.

Lower lights are the backlights from the S8 light bar.

If you want to mod something else, I see you have a crawler. Grab some Cordua and rewrap the pads. Can also get nicer padding. :)
I did mine and it's noice.

If you want to mod something else, I see you have a crawler. Grab some Cordua and rewrap the pads. Can also get nicer padding. :)
I did mine and it's noice.
What does any of this mean lol

Been a while since I did anything to the truck since the build is pretty much finished now. But it was time for an oil change again at 8500 miles so I got to throw on the metal filter housing assembly and Fumoto F-133 that I've had in the garage for a year or so along with some fresh Mobil1 0w20 and a TRD filter. Hoping the Fumoto makes the future changes less messy with the TRD skid.

The P/N for the metal housing is 15620-31060 and was pnp and did not require making any changes.

[IMG]

Back