• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Decked Storage System

Carlos20OF

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
I’m in the market for a system storage in the back of my 5ft bed. I mainly want it for camping gear/some recovery/clothes. I have looked at making a custom storage system with wood, but since I don’t run my tonneau cover when I go camping, I am worried about it holding up against the rain/snow and other elements. I’ve seen a truck vault bed system which allows you to run a shorter in height storage system compared Decked to allow more use of your bed, but unfortunately that is way out of my price range.

Anyone with the decked system, can you give your experiences or modifications you had to do in order for it to fit your needs? Also, are you able to run half of the unit, so if you need to, you still can use the other side your bed? Do you regret it?

Anyone running a custom wood or other material storage system? Do you wish you would have went with a decked system or are you happy with your current set up?

All feed back or questions is highly appreciated!

thank you!

Last edited:
I built one out of wood. It's lighter and has more space than a decked.

Check out this guy's video for a visual of how much space is wasted with Decked:
Original link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSdWK2mA0X8
He also has trouble getting gear in and out of the end of the drawer.

My drawers are not on slides, but if I put tools in the back of the drawer I can pull it all the way out and it rests on the tailgate without falling off.

-M

Attachments

• IMG_3909.JPG
    IMG_3909.JPG
    621.9 KB · Views: 119
I built one out of wood. It's lighter and has more space than a decked.

Check out this guy's video for a visual of how much space is wasted with Decked:
Original link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSdWK2mA0X8
He also has trouble getting gear in and out of the end of the drawer.

My drawers are not on slides, but if I put tools in the back of the drawer I can pull it all the way out and it rests on the tailgate without falling off.

-M
Will do!!! Losing space is huge
for me, i don’t want to spend that much money to lose space.

Your set up is awesome! I appreciate the pic. that’s something I will have to think
about since I do not have a topper. If i had a topper, I would definitely go the route you went. But still something to think about

So, I love my decked system. I like being able to throw rocks, dirt, logs, and gear on top. It has a 2000 lb capacity (more than the bed is rated for), and the small loss of space is not a deal breaker for me. It allows me to have a truck bed to do truck bed stuff (dirt, bloody game, etc.), but then still has two great dry storage spots. The drawers are awesome, and I've been in monsoon's and everything stayed dry. I've washed it out with my hose, spraying directly around the closed drawers, everything stays dry.

Might not be the perfect set up for you, but it has been for me.
DB23225A-B228-4D5F-BC85-001CF9CEBB4B.jpeg
44238F3D-6937-4C4B-B0B7-9C960EF782A0.jpeg

So, I love my decked system. I like being able to throw rocks, dirt, logs, and gear on top. It has a 2000 lb capacity (more than the bed is rated for), and the small loss of space is not a deal breaker for me. It allows me to have a truck bed to do truck bed stuff (dirt, bloody game, etc.), but then still has two great dry storage spots. The drawers are awesome, and I've been in monsoon's and everything stayed dry. I've washed it out with my hose, spraying directly around the closed drawers, everything stays dry.

Yes, loading the top is definitely one of the things that's made for. My friend had one he was using in his work truck and loaded a bunch of lead acid batteries on it.

I like mine because it lets me say, "We can't put that in my truck."

-M

Sick!! I also have the same bed lights and I never thought about how they be slightly covered- no biggie for me. Really appreciate your feedback!

Back