• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Custom on-board water idea

this seems to be a reinventing the wheel kind of scenario. I get wanting to do a DIY thing but there are plenty of hot water devices on the market that are cheap to buy and are efficient as well.

None of which hold anywhere near 10 gallons.

None of which hold anywhere near 10 gallons.
oh I get that. unless you want to go propane like a RV. or what about just getting an on demand unit and a 20lb propane tank. seems like that would be a good route. there are plenty of those out now that work quite well, and can siphon form a 10 gallon reservoir.

My problem is that I tend to overthink and over engineer things......Unfortunate side effect of COVID restrictions. I dont have anything better to do. LOL.

I'm interested in this so I did a little research. From the Rinsekit website:

So, if you have ambient water temperature of 65 degrees and you want to raise it to 110 degrees for a shower that will take about 4 hours. And that is just for 2 gallons. I don't think their heater is ever going to get a 10 gallon tank up to a comfortable temperature.

Taking 10 gallons of water from 65 to 110 in 1 hours requires 1,100 Wh or 3,755 BTU. The numbers just don't work well for a 12V power source. That's why RV water heaters use propane or shore power. The shape of that tank is still interesting since it uses space efficiently but an electric heater probably isn't realistic.
GREAT information, big help. Thank you

Back