• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Cameras. What do you shoot shit with?

Tyler

🔟 Mythical
Badministrator
Volunteer T3G Editor
Reaction score
Website
tacoma3g.com
2017 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Quicksand
Thinking about upgrading from the iPhone X camera for the gram and website articles (yup, they’re coming). What are you guys shooting with? Anyone swear by a certain point and shoot?

Can't swear by any point-and-shoot as all I have are SLRs but I've heard nothing but good stuff about the Alphas. That one specs nice. Never ceases to amaze me how much that can pack into those cameras. Makes my Nikon D7000 seem like a dinosaur.

Can't swear by any point-and-shoot as all I have are SLRs but I've heard nothing but good stuff about the Alphas. That one specs nice. Never ceases to amaze me how much that can pack into those cameras. Makes my Nikon D7000 seem like a dinosaur.
Yeah, I went from wanting a simple point and shoot to one of these. I didn't end up buying it today, but it's pretty what I have my mind set on now.

Not really sure about point and shoot, but I've used a Pentax K3 for the last couple years and have loved it. Everyone jumps on the big three, Canon Nikon Sony, but Pentax is really under rated for cameras in my opinion. I have been looking at the Sony A7r series to pick up in the next couple years though.

My iPhone in conjunction with my gimbal has been awesome for video especially when I’m alone since it can follow you. My drone has always been amazing but part of me wants to sell it for a DSLR and a nice lense. Just ordered some lense kit for my phone that looked pretty impressive so hope that steps my mobile game up

@Paige has the Canon Rebel T5i so I think I’m gonna just start with that instead of wasting money on a new hobby that I might not even take seriously like everything else I do.

@Paige has the Canon Rebel T5i so I think I’m gonna just start with that instead of wasting money on a new hobby that I might not even take seriously like everything else I do.
I had a canon rebel, it was a great camera.

For instagram and stuff like that, I use the iPhone.

For anything serious, Canon 5D MKII with the following lenses:

Canon 17-40mm f4L
Canon 24-105mm f4L
Canon 70-200mm f4L
Canon 300mm f4L
Canon 50mm f1.4

I always recommend searching eBay for used DSLR bodies and lenses. You can get something older but in great shape for a fraction of what it was new. That way you can get very legit gear for less than a new Rebel.

In a former life, I was a photographer, so I've done this many many times and never had an issue.

Anyway, obligatory pics:

Rosco in the Yard 2.JPG

Ball Time -3.jpg

Ball Time -1.jpg

Ball Time -2.jpg

where @ in Australia

Yeah, I went from wanting a simple point and shoot to one of these. I didn't end up buying it today, but it's pretty what I have my mind set on now.

I have a A6500 and it amazes me. I traded in my A77, which I had since it was released to get it. Lugged the A77 w/ a 16-50 f2.8 around Europe multiple times and had enough with the weight. so far the A6500 has been taking some great photos but I've used it only limitedly so far. I would have gotten the a7III if it was within my price range, still might eventually.

I just got my daughter a Canon T6 for Christmas. We started her off with a 20D and a Rebel XTi to make sure she would stick with it, and she did. Keep an eye out on the Canon manufacturer refurbished page. I got her set for $249 (it's back up to $349), and it shoots fantastic. In fact, I'm looking for a Canon body only right now (T5i/T6i) for myself (we have a ton of lenses). The 20D and XTi just sold on FB.

I just got my daughter a Canon T6 for Christmas. We started her off with a 20D and a Rebel XTi to make sure she would stick with it, and she did. Keep an eye out on the Canon manufacturer refurbished page. I got her set for $249 (it's back up to $349), and it shoots fantastic. In fact, I'm looking for a Canon body only right now (T5i/T6i) for myself (we have a ton of lenses). The 20D and XTi just sold on FB.
I like Canon a lot, nikon just released a new FF mirrorless thats impressive, currently im looking at the Sony line between the A7II, A7III, and A6500

none of the mirrorless even come close to the sony. Dont even bother with nikon / canon
Yea as far as mirrorless, full frame, i really think sony may be the way to go. Only because i believe theyve been doing it the longest, and have really started narrowing down any problems/complaints with the cameras. Im definitely going with Sony, just a matter of liquidating a computer so i can purchase the one i want.

sony’s pixel shift is a game changer in terms of overall resolution. the fact that nikon/canon glazed over that is a testiment to them phoning it in while jumping on the bandwagon

I shoot with a Inspire 1 w/ x3 camera. :) only issues I commonly run into are lack of low light capabilities.

Basketball Hall of Fame-iPhone-6.jpg
Nubble Lighthouse.png

I shoot with a Inspire 1 w/ x3 camera. :) only issues I commonly run into are lack of low light capabilities.

Basketball Hall of Fame-iPhone-6.jpg
Nubble Lighthouse.png
Shit thats an expensive drone. I take it you make money from it?

Shit thats an expensive drone. I take it you make money from it?

Yes it was a bit expensive, I wish I went a different route to be honest with you but you live and learn :) that being said, I attempt to make money with it. I've been kind of putting the business to the side. I'd like to pickup a handheld camera, something like a Sony a6000 or a6500.

What do you guys think about buying cameras off eBay? I could get a Sony A7r II body basically new for the price of a a6500 kit.

What do you guys think about buying cameras off eBay? I could get a Sony A7r II body basically new for the price of a a6500 kit.
I will tell you this, the ar72 is a battery hog. Like unbelievable. Basically expect to buy 4-6 extra batteries. I sold my a7r2 because of this, its battery life made it almost unusable in the field.

I'd be careful to be honest, never know the condition until you ACTUALLY get it in your posession and I've heard some horror stories of empty boxes or different product sent in the boxes with no help from eBay.

B&H Photo and Video out of New York has a good used section, they test all their stuff prior to posting it.

I've bought more used gear from eBay and Fredmiranda than I could ever count. Never had a single issue and I've saved many thousands over the years.

Just be careful and do your research.

When you decide you want something else, sell it for what you paid for it and move on. Camera gear holds its value very well.

I bought 100% of my current kit used on eBay:

IMG_8064.JPG

Back