• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Bed Stiffeners - What do they do? Do I need them?

If anyone would get use of these, it’s me. They’re on my list, just not a priority yet. But I definitely need them for what I do.

If anyone would get use of these, it’s me. They’re on my list, just not a priority yet. But I definitely need them for what I do.

No worries - give us if you have questions or when you're ready to order

Paint the bare metal on those drilled-out holes!

A little touch up paint is never a bad idea :)

IMG_7338.jpg

Did you get out and hit the dirt this weekend?

TOTAL CHAOS Bed Stiffeners securing the toys for this weekends race. Post a pic of your setup!

TOTAL CHAOS
WWW.CHAOSFAB.COM

Looks I'll be ordering straight from Total Chaos bleeping canadians overcharge everything
Screenshot_20190305-133251_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Screenshot_20190305-133018_Amazon Shopping.jpg

@TOTAL CHAOS just out of curiosity, what makes your bed stiffeners patented? sorry.... engineer here.

@TOTAL CHAOS just out of curiosity, what makes your bed stiffeners patented? sorry.... engineer here.
They applied for a patent and were approved
A patent is a right granted by a government to an inventor. It gives the inventor the exclusive right, for a limited period, to stop others from making, using or selling the inventor's product without the permission of the inventor. When a patent is granted, the invention becomes the property of the inventor.Sep

They applied for a patent and were approved
A patent is a right granted by a government to an inventor. It gives the inventor the exclusive right, for a limited period, to stop others from making, using or selling the inventor's product without the permission of the inventor. When a patent is granted, the invention becomes the property of the inventor.Sep
I know what the definition of a patent is and what the point of having one is. That's not what I'm asking for. In order to have a patent, your product has to be different from everything else on the market, whether it is how it's manufactured, designed, functions, etc. What I'm asking is what makes their product a patented product? (What makes their bed stiffeners different from other bed stiffeners on the market that they have a patent on it?)

I know what the definition of a patent is and what the point of having one is. That's not what I'm asking for. In order to have a patent, your product has to be different from everything else on the market, whether it is how it's manufactured, designed, functions, etc. What I'm asking is what makes their product a patented product? (What makes their bed stiffeners different from other bed stiffeners on the market that they have a patent on it?)

Here is some more info on the patent itself:

I can chat with the team to see if I can provide a more detailed breakdown on everything. We're closed today so you might not see a response until Monday

Last edited:

So other companies , dont copy it and try and sell if off as there own design,
Or so certain online vendors dont abuse the system and buy a bunch with promo then sell at double or triple the price on there online store
Why would they patent cause why wouldn't you
Any inventor should , they have s great design better then any ones and its slimmer with no bulk gotta protect your shit

So other companies , dont copy it and try and sell if off as there own design,
Or so certain online vendors dont abuse the system and buy a bunch with promo then sell at double or triple the price on there online store
Why would they patent cause why wouldn't you
Any inventor should , they have s great design better then any ones and its slimmer with no bulk gotta protect your shit
Not trying to get into an argument here, but I completely understand the utilization of a Patent and how to protect your IP. However, there are cases when you wouldn't want to file for a patent because once you do, it becomes public knowledge, which is what leads to copy cats. Additionally, patents expire after certain number of years. In a far off similar way, Coca-cola doesn't patent their formula to make coke, nor does KFC patent their fired chicken seasoning. Because if they did, you'd have copy cats, which they have anyway! lol. They use trade secrets. I know that's not a one to one comparison, but I hope you get the idea.

Thus, why I am asking the question for @TOTAL CHAOS. What makes yours different from the next guy? Why would I want to invest in their product that has a patent vs one that isn't? Is this an engineered product? Is the patent over the slim design while still maintain function? Manufacturing process? Or are you just simply the first ones to submit a design for bed stiffeners? (Sorry, this is just the engineer in me. I'm just very interested.)

I can chat with the team to see if I can provide a more detailed breakdown on everything. We're closed today so you might not see a response until Monday

Monday is good! Thanks! (y)

So I'm looking at these right now. Adding a bed rack to me would seem to tie the bed together stronger (at 4 attachment points) at the top, rather than 2 spots near the bottom of the tailgate area.
Don't understand the necessity for this to have in conjunction with the bed rack - but I'm here to learn.

And hey - first message!

@TOTAL CHAOS Any more detailed breakdown as far as the patent on the bed stiffeners?

@TOTAL CHAOS Any more detailed breakdown as far as the patent on the bed stiffeners?

The utility patent was filed to protect our design of the TC bed stiffener as well as the application. TC was the first company to recognize the need to reinforce the bed from our personal truck cracking. The patent gives TC the opportunity to seek legal action from other companies who knock off the product in both concept or design.

If we were smarter 15 years ago, TC would have filed for a patent on the uniball adapter for UCA's. You live and learn, but that component changed the suspension industry!

At some point, you just get tired of garage shops with no overhead or no hands-on experience taking your ideas and building knock off products for less. No product liability ins. No workers comp policy. It's easy to sell a part for less.

The utility patent was filed to protect our design of the TC bed stiffener as well as the application. TC was the first company to recognize the need to reinforce the bed from our personal truck cracking. The patent gives TC the opportunity to seek legal action from other companies who knock off the product in both concept or design.

If we were smarter 15 years ago, TC would have filed for a patent on the uniball adapter for UCA's. You live and learn, but that component changed the suspension industry!

At some point, you just get tired of garage shops with no overhead or no hands-on experience taking your ideas and building knock off products for less. No product liability ins. No workers comp policy. It's easy to sell a part for less.
Awesome! Just for that, you guys would def be at the top of my list for the bed stiffeners when the time comes. Maybe soon... haha. Thanks!

Have you seen instances of guys with bed racks for RTT that have the same bed cracks? I'm still trying to figure out the mechanics behind how these are a necessary component if you have a bed rack which strengthens the bed from 4 connection points rather than 2 at the rear. I'm no mechanical engineer, but I might be missing something here. So far, no one has been able to help me figure this out.

Have you seen instances of guys with bed racks for RTT that have the same bed cracks? I'm still trying to figure out the mechanics behind how these are a necessary component if you have a bed rack which strengthens the bed from 4 connection points rather than 2 at the rear. I'm no mechanical engineer, but I might be missing something here. So far, no one has been able to help me figure this out.
I've seen bed spread with canopies and a bed rack. As the tacoma boc is as very simple stiffners with very thin wall then a composite tub in ,2 bolt on bed sides and bam that's what makes your Tacoma box , even with a tailgate there is alot of flex on the back end add a canopy, it flexes with the box eventually it will spread over time depended on how much abuse the truck gets , the rack can stiffen , but near the mounts is the weakest points as the lt rear and rt rear are only braced st the top ,thus with enough dirt action and bus it will start to go , especially when you have added weight on the top

Thanks - appreciate the explanation. It's just something I've never given much thought to.

TC ... do you know of anyone who has used these with a bakflip bed cover?

Unfortunately, we don't know anyone personally. It's certainly been done with minimal modifications

Back