• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Bed Rack vs Roof Rack

Manbun525

4️⃣ Gold
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Inferno
Opinions on which is better? I would like to get both down the road, currently looking at the RCI bed rack and Prinsu roof rack. Open to see what all you guys have, prices, pros/cons etc. Would like a RTT soon too, can a roof rack supports this just as well as the bed rack?

Thanks

Love my Frontrunner. Sits below the cab for aero and easy to reach stuff, but high enough I can put the cooler etc, in the bottom. Lock the tail gate and stuff is secured underneath so people can't just pull it out.

IMG_2336.JPG
IMG_2981.JPG
IMG_3012.JPG

@SDyota_66 diggin your setup, could see my family and I throwing an Oztent or a couple of swags up top, with gear below the rack line.

@SDyota_66 diggin your setup, could see my family and I throwing an Oztent or a couple of swags up top, with gear below the rack line.
Thank you. That was the plane for us. RTT and ready to go any time, but the wife decided she didn't want an RTT and my dog weighs 100 lbs. So now I use a soft pack to keep our sleeping bags etc dust free and ground camp. I would definitely recommend bed stiffeners if you put any kind of weight up top. Also, since this bolts right onto the bed rails, I don't know how much weight those hold.

Roof rack can support those yes. But it is not ideal. Having the tent on the roof creates a lot of drag, which is why a mid height bed rack or low height is ideal. Aside from drag, mounting on the roof creates excess height which can hinder you on some trails or certain areas. Bed rack makes everything easier and gives you mounting options as well. It would be best to get a roof rack as a secondary storage or mounting option rather than somewhere to mount a RTT

i would start with the bed rack because the are more versatile but go quality not the crappy KB Voodoo.

Roof rack can support those yes. But it is not ideal. Having the tent on the roof creates a lot of drag, which is why a mid height bed rack or low height is ideal. Aside from drag, mounting on the roof creates excess height which can hinder you on some trails or certain areas. Bed rack makes everything easier and gives you mounting options as well. It would be best to get a roof rack as a secondary storage or mounting option rather than somewhere to mount a RTT
Basically this. You’ll hardly ever see a RTT on the roof of a Taco because there aren’t many benefits to it. Unless you’re me and use the bed all the time for large shit/have to stand in the bed a lot. And just really, really prefer to maintain the traditional pickup truck look.

I like bed racks that are functional and looks good at the same time. That’s why I designed and built my own. I don’t have an RTT yet but will soon and it was designed with that in mind. The cool thing as that it’s always a work in progress.
D9038F9C-B544-4E2E-A614-E23BCF8B47B9.jpeg
3C9E0200-CFC0-49B3-A424-277961D84DF0.jpeg

I love my rack from KB Voodoo/Max Modular. It has the crossbars to support my tent, jack, and whatever else I want to attach. Plenty of mounting points, and I've beat the crap out of it on the trails. It's held up great, and i can still use my tonneau cover with it. Lots of good things to say.
1546531318869.png

I like bed racks that are functional and looks good at the same time. That’s why I designed and built my own. I don’t have an RTT yet but will soon and it was designed with that in mind. The cool thing as that it’s always a work in progress.
D9038F9C-B544-4E2E-A614-E23BCF8B47B9.jpeg
3C9E0200-CFC0-49B3-A424-277961D84DF0.jpeg
Yours looks super solid dude. I would rock one if I end up going this route.

Opinions on which is better? I would like to get both down the road, currently looking at the RCI bed rack and Prinsu roof rack. Open to see what all you guys have, prices, pros/cons etc. Would like a RTT soon too, can a roof rack supports this just as well as the bed rack?

Thanks

Go with both! I went with both (RCI bed rack and Prinsu cab rack). Probably would never mount my RTT on the cab due to what was said above about the drag.
The only con I have is the wind noise at high speeds with the Prinsu. Other thank that they are both solid products.

Oh! Those are sweet. I don't suppose you have any design docs do you? I have the means and motive to make something like that.

Wouldnt say one is necessarily better than the other. Depending on how you envisioning setting up your rig, they can both serve different purposes. We have experience with the RCI rack and think it is a great rack. It is more affordable than many out there and the lead times are manageable. Also, can't go wrong with a PrinSu roof rack!

They both have different applications that i think are important to note. your roof rack should really be utilized for storage such as dry boxes, rifle cases, dry bags, lighting, etc. Your bed rack really should be more accessory oriented to include tents, shovels, traction boards , whatever you really feel like. Having bulky items on the roof creates drag and wind noise, which may not be bad at first but you will grow tired of it. It is nice to have a bed rack that is about mid height and comes below the height of your cab just so you dont get that excess drag.

This is just my personal opinion and advice, just thought i would lay those points out.

The thing that gets overlooked one versus the other is how do you store your gear. If you need your gear to remain cleaner and drier then a shell with a rack is probably going to accomplish that better. If you don't mind the dust and water having a bit more access to your stuff, or like to travel much lighter, then a bed rack is probably the way to go. In the end it's all personal preference as either way can accomplish goals, it's more just how you plan to use your stuff.

That said I went with a shell. I seem to be becoming the minority more and more. Nothing wrong with all the options out there, jut the shell works for me, especially day to day. I'm pretty happy with how it worked out.

JTreeBerdoo-45.jpg

The thing that gets overlooked one versus the other is how do you store your gear. If you need your gear to remain cleaner and drier then a shell with a rack is probably going to accomplish that better. If you don't mind the dust and water having a bit more access to your stuff, or like to travel much lighter, then a bed rack is probably the way to go. In the end it's all personal preference as either way can accomplish goals, it's more just how you plan to use your stuff.

That said I went with a shell. I seem to be becoming the minority more and more. Nothing wrong with all the options out there, jut the shell works for me, especially day to day. I'm pretty happy with how it worked out.

JTreeBerdoo-45.jpg

As of now I plan to do the Prinsu Cabrack and possibly just a mx4 bed cover, I love the look and style of the camper shell (although the girl thinks it looks like an old man truck like that) but what kept me away from the shell is loading or hauling large objects in the bed of my truck, like moving furniture, beds, dresser, couches etc or other large objects that wont fit under the shell. Also the convenience of just being able to load and throw crap in the bed of my truck from either side without the windows or back loading. The mx4 folds up so the bed can be completely open if need be, can cover, lock and be waterproof as well. Most of my utility/recover gear and tools will go on my roof rack while my bed will be for either sleeping and or camping and personal gear.

As of now I plan to do the Prinsu Cabrack and possibly just a mx4 bed cover, I love the look and style of the camper shell (although the girl thinks it looks like an old man truck like that) but what kept me away from the shell is loading or hauling large objects in the bed of my truck, like moving furniture, beds, dresser, couches etc or other large objects that wont fit under the shell. Also the convenience of just being able to load and throw crap in the bed of my truck from either side without the windows or back loading. The mx4 folds up so the bed can be completely open if need be, can cover, lock and be waterproof as well. Most of my utility/recover gear and tools will go on my roof rack while my bed will be for either sleeping and or camping and personal gear.

And that it's right there. People need to analyze their planned usage for the truck, and it seems you have. I load a lot of stuff into my truck, but most all of it will regularly fit inside a shell.

Basically this. You’ll hardly ever see a RTT on the roof of a Taco because there aren’t many benefits to it. Unless you’re me and use the bed all the time for large shit/have to stand in the bed a lot. And just really, really prefer to maintain the traditional pickup truck look.

Is it hard to take off the RTT? Was planning on getting a RTT for the Cab on top the Prinsu, but i also use my truck as a commuter to work so i’d only be using the RTT on the weekend for beach trips/ camp trips.

Is it hard to take off the RTT? Was planning on getting a RTT for the Cab on top the Prinsu, but i also use my truck as a commuter to work so i’d only be using the RTT on the weekend for beach trips/ camp trips.
Rtt are a 2 man job usually there a tad heavy and the height doesn't help at all

They're definitely not light. I slide mine to the edge of the back of the shell and basically military press it down onto the tailgate. It's s doable, but it still scares the crap out of me everytime I do it ????

?? got a good laugh reading this, well all i can say is that i’ll be getting a little more buff i guess putting it up and taking it down lol!

?? got a good laugh reading this, well all i can say is that i’ll be getting a little more buff i guess putting it up and taking it down lol!

If you have a garage the truck can fit in a lot of people put hoists above the tent and lift the tent up and store them above . Just a thought.

Have any of you ran power to the RTT for lighting or Receptacle? Or are you just using a tiny gen if you do have power?

Have any of you ran power to the RTT for lighting or Receptacle? Or are you just using a tiny gen if you do have power?
Alot of people run gens and solar panels , solar is a good way and super easy if you want to mount it to somthing like a prinsu rack

Back