• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Reference Ask a beginner question, get a serious answer!

How can i type an address on my navi while driving? I hate talking to the radio.. it doesn’t get me.
Best thing is spend the time input common address into you navi and save them then when you at a light and stoped all you need to do it navi>hit "go home" , or if you have saved addresses navi >desi>point of interest or presaved places which can be down when stopped. Or if you connect you phone then give a shout to google or Surrey and they will read the directions out via you bluetooth which is better because the toyota navi voice is hard to hear over the radio

Last edited:
Living in Colorado at 6600ft elevation, should i be running 91 octane? (I will be buying the OVTune) and does anyone just so happen to know the long-term cost differential between 87 and 91?

Living in Colorado at 6600ft elevation, should i be running 91 octane? (I will be buying the OVTune) and does anyone just so happen to know the long-term cost differential between 87 and 91?

There have been many studies under different stress scenarios that show higher octane fuel, really, is not a substantial gain. I have preached this many times because i believe it adds up too much to show any truly added benefit. Your price gouge is about a 6% loss with higher octane, and with newer engine development especially Toyota, you will make do more than fine using 87.

There have been many studies under different stress scenarios that show higher octane fuel, really, is not a substantial gain. I have preached this many times because i believe it adds up too much to show any truly added benefit. Your price gouge is about a 6% loss with higher octane, and with newer engine development especially Toyota, you will make do more than fine using 87.

Dude. Thank you.

Best thing is spend the time input common address into you navi and save them then when you at a light and stoped all you need to do it navi>hit "go home" , or if you have saved addresses navi >desi>point of interest or presaved places which can be down when stopped. Or if you connect you phone then give a shout to google or Surrey and they will read the directions out via you bluetooth which is better because the toyota navi voice is hard to hear over the radio
Good idea! The other reason i ask is because my wife rides shotgun and she gets on mt case cuz she can’t type while i drive. Lol

Does ovtune requires 91 octane fuel?
I don’t see why it would, I’m sure you could map it for 91octane. But read here for more on 91.

Ov time can be tuned to which ever gas you use, if you have an intake ,exhaust those can be added into the equation as well

Tacoma Styles
AC = Access Cab
DC = Double Cab
LB = Long Bed
SB = Short Bed
TRD = Toyota Racing Development
OR = Off-Road

Modifications
CMC = Cab Mount Chop
CAI = Cold Air Intake
BHLM = Black Headlight Mod
SAS = Solid Axle Swap
SC = Supercharger
DB = Drop Bracket
RTT = Roof Top Tent

General
TSB = Technical Service Bulletin
FSM = Factory Service Manual
LSD = Limited Slip Differential
ECT = Electronically Controlled Transmission
ECM = Electronic Control Module
EBD = Electronic Brakeforce Distribution
TC = Torque Converter
MT = Manual Transmission
AT = Automatic Transmission
IFS = Independent Front Suspension
VSC = Vehicle Stability Control
(A)TRAC = (Active) Traction Control
MTS = Multi-Terrain Select
EBD = Electronic Brakeforce Distribution
TSS = Toyota Safety Sense

Brands / Vendors
BD = Baja Designs
SDHQ = Super Duty Headquarters
4WP = 4 Wheel Parts
HS = Headstrong Offroad

@Tyler maybe we should do an acronym sticky for newbies... what else am I missing? Everyone pitch in.

You get two tune files currently. One for 87 and the other is 91. If you run the 91 tune yes you’ll need at least 91 octane gas

Dude. Thank you.
You get two tune files currently. One for 87 and the other is 91. If you run the 91 tune yes you’ll need at least 91 octane gas
solscooter are you using the dongle less OVtune? I have the dongle been running the tune for about 7 months have tried both the 1.03 87 and 91 and 1.04 87 and 91 octanes. I have best results with 1.03 91 seems to have a snappier throttle and holds highway gears awesome no crazy 6th to 4th harsh downshifts! Cant wait for the personnel tune programming i really want 4th and 5th to hold for a couple hundred RPM's longer. OVtune has to be one of the best mod improvements you can add!

solscooter are you using the dongle less OVtune? I have the dongle been running the tune for about 7 months have tried both the 1.03 87 and 91 and 1.04 87 and 91 octanes. I have best results with 1.03 91 seems to have a snappier throttle and holds highway gears awesome no crazy 6th to 4th harsh downshifts! Cant wait for the personnel tune programming i really want 4th and 5th to hold for a couple hundred RPM's longer. OVtune has to be one of the best mod improvements you can add!
I just talked myself out of buying the OVTune right now and you guys are making me rethink that.

Dude. Thank you.
The tune is not cheap but the SMILE on your face after installing never goes away! Fuel cost is to tough to calculate given your driving style type of highway usage and of course the the actual cost of fuel in your area! Here in Socal gas is ridiculous in its pricing i am paying about 3.89 for 91 at the cheapest Chevron station and 87 is always about .20cents cheaper not a big deal 6 bucks maybe if i am on empty so 91 tune is well worth the .20 cent differance for me! But i suggest you try both tunes at 87 octane and 91 octane see how you like both and go from there! On 87 you get the same great shifting points but dont get the added power that you get with 91 octane. There is a noticeable difference.

I just talked myself out of buying the OVTune right now and you guys are making me rethink that.
If you have the money for this tune i highly recommend it !!! You wont be let down its worth the $$$ .

It ma
If you have the money for this tune i highly recommend it !!! You wont be let down its worth the $$$ .
It makes the truck a blast to drive!

I do but I don't. If I get the tune I have to put off my new suspension. If I get the new suspension I have to put off the tune. The tune is 1/3rd the price and therefore easier to save up for, but it's also slightly cheaper right now because they're being sold in incomplete kits so... yeah.

I do but I don't. If I get the tune I have to put off my new suspension. If I get the new suspension I have to put off the tune. The tune is 1/3rd the price and therefore easier to save up for, but it's also slightly cheaper right now because they're being sold in incomplete kits so... yeah.
Get the tune now and start saving for all the deals and group buys that will happen for Black Friday and Xmas specials i saved a ton of $$$ that way!

Dongless. Never got the opportunity to run 1.03 but curious as my larger tires makes me want the better tip in.

Hes gunna be busy as hell doing all these personal tunes.

Dongless. Never got the opportunity to run 1.03 but curious as my larger tires makes me want the better tip in.

Hes gunna be busy as hell doing all these personal tunes.
Yes he is ,not sure how its even going to work? 1.03 is has been much better for my style of driving and my truck. 1.04 felt more stockish and didnt hold the gears well for me on the highway. With 1.03 it holds 6th and i can accelerate with out it downshifting. You should email him and see if you can get 1.03 i think you might be happier with it. 1.04 seems was made for more the stock trucks , it get excellent reviews by stock owners!

i just ordered mine last night or two days ago. $600 but its gonna be worth it. I'll give ya an update on how it goes down once i get it in there. im gonna stick with 87 tune for now. i couldnt find any research online that showed 91 really has an improvement for newer vehicles. unless your manufacturer recommends it you would be find with 87 from what i could find.

i just ordered mine last night or two days ago. $600 but its gonna be worth it. I'll give ya an update on how it goes down once i get it in there. im gonna stick with 87 tune for now. i couldnt find any research online that showed 91 really has an improvement for newer vehicles. unless your manufacturer recommends it you would be find with 87 from what i could find.
That is true nothing changes if you car states to use 87 then use. If it states you use 91 or higher use it no gains going up, only thing will happen is if you have a engine knock it will go away but that's about it

i couldnt find any research online that showed 91 really has an improvement for newer vehicles. unless your manufacturer recommends it you would be find with 87 from what i could find.
It's true that 91 octane offers no benefits to stock vehicles rated for 87.

However, when an aftermarket tuner starts advancing timing and making other revisions to make more power, then you will need to run higher octane fuel to safely make more power. So if you use the 91 tune, you will have to run 91 octane gas regardless of what Toyota tells you the truck requires and you will absolutely be able to make more power that way. Any pinging in these engines could be fatal, so anything less than the octane rating of the tune you choose is dangerous. That's why tuners offer multiple options, so you don't have to run higher octane fuel than the manufacturer's requirements if you don't want to... but that also means that you're not going to get much of a power increase unless you run a higher octane tune/fuel. It's a double-edged sword.

The advantages of the OVTune for those of us who just want to run 87 octane are improvements in drivability due to improved throttle mapping, as well as better shifting characteristics for automatics. The 91 octane tune combines those advantages with noticeably more horsepower and torque.

I hope that makes sense.

Back