REFERENCE Ask a “beginner” question, get a serious answer

• Hello, visitor! You've found the only 3rd Generation Toyota Tacoma forum! 🤙
    Tacoma3G.com is an online forum for 2016-2021 Toyota Tacoma and overland enthusiasts. Our resources include: build threads, tutorials, gear reviews, exclusive discounts and giveaways, a marketplace to buy and sell items, local trail events, and more. We have thousands of friendly, knowledgeable members, including many officials from your favorite companies. Registration is completely free and only takes 30 seconds, so we hope to see you and your rig soon!

Taco_Doug

T3G Level: Bronze
T3G Supporter
First Name
Doug
T3G Member
#6,691
Could I put a 17x9 -14 offset with a 265/70R17 General Grabber ATX on a stock SR5 without any rubbing. Not planning on doing any serious off-roading. But will be looking to do a suspension lift probably next year. First Tacoma and really first truck. Though I did own a 99 Ranger for a few years, but I left it completely stock. I just want something a little more aggressive without going all in just right yet. Here is the wheel I am looking at. It's the Vision Nemesis.

Vision Nemesis.jpg

Last edited:

landroamr

T3G Member
#5,392
Could I put a 17x9 -14 offset with a 265/70R17 General Grabber ATX on a stock SR5 without any rubbing. Not planning on doing any serious off-roading. But will be looking to do a suspension lift probably next year. First Tacoma and really first truck. Though I did own a 99 Ranger for a few years, but I left it completely stock. I just want something a little more aggressive without going all in just right yet. Here is the wheel I am looking at. It's the Vision Nemesis.

Vision Nemesis.jpg
There is a site out there called "https://www.customwheeloffset.com/" which does an ok job at collecting people's experiences with different wheels/tires/lift combos. You effectively search for your rig and wheel info, and it brings up similar configurations from real folks who've posted. Incase someone here doesn't have more direct experience you can try there.

Taco_Doug

T3G Supporter
First Name
Doug
T3G Member
#6,691
There is a site out there called "https://www.customwheeloffset.com/" which does an ok job at collecting people's experiences with different wheels/tires/lift combos. You effectively search for your rig and wheel info, and it brings up similar configurations from real folks who've posted. Incase someone here doesn't have more direct experience you can try there.
That's actually where I found these wheels. They pretty much say I can, but was just getting opinions. Thanks.

Mr. Nobody

T3G Level: Grandmaster
Administrator
T3G Supporter
T3G O.G.
First Name
Andy
T3G Member
Do I need to purchase new tires and wheels right away if i upgraded to a 2" lift? Thanks
Absolutely not. It may look a bit funky without them, but it ain't a big deal. Spend good money on a quality lift and get the wheels and tires when you can.

atomiktaco

T3G Supporter
First Name
Sarah
T3G Member
#6,191
I believe it won’t. There are plenty of people that don’t even know about this/the ECGS bushing with more lift than that, and they’re ok. But I’m not saying they shouldn’t do the bushing cause they should if possible.

With 1.25”, I can’t see that causing failure. I have 2.25” in the front and think I feel some vibration, but it could be placebo. I plan to do the bushing anyway for mine though. Do you feel vibration?
ECGS bushing? Please explain. Just installed a 3” lift and thought I’d covered all my bases. Did I miss something?

midnight20pro

T3G Level: Platinum
T3G Supporter
T3G Member
#5,503
ECGS bushing? Please explain. Just installed a 3” lift and thought I’d covered all my bases. Did I miss something?
I'm also curious about this. My understanding was that this was fixed in the 3rd gens and you don't need to replace the factory bushing with the new/stronger one. Totally down to swap it if I do need this for the 2.5" lift....

Mr. Nobody

Administrator
T3G Supporter
T3G O.G.
First Name
Andy
T3G Member
I'm also curious about this. My understanding was that this was fixed in the 3rd gens and you don't need to replace the factory bushing with the new/stronger one. Totally down to swap it if I do need this for the 2.5" lift....

Many people, especially earlier in the run of the 3rd gen Tacoma, experienced vibration coming from the front left of the vehicle after lifting. I've never had this issue and I actually have a bushing sitting in a box that I meant to install but never did. Honestly, over the life of my truck I've heard less and less about people needing to install the bushing. It's still a possibility, but probably not as prevalent as it was in years past. I don't know if Toyota's made an upgrade on the bushing from the factory or not, but something must have changed.

The way to tell if you've got a bad needle bearing is you will hear noise or vibration coming from the front left side of the vehicle around 20 mph and increasing up to 30 to 45 mph. when you then put the truck into four-wheel drive the vibration and noises will go away.

The fix is cheap in East coast gear supply has plenty of the bushings in stock to send out at any point in time. The install is not hard but you do need the specialty tool. like I said though I lifted my truck and it had about 40,000 mi of trouble free issues and I still just have a bearing sitting in my closet. So if I were to do it again I wouldn't bother with buying the bushing until I had issues.

midnight20pro

T3G Level: Platinum
T3G Supporter
T3G Member
#5,503
thanks for clarifying. Yeah, I had bookmarked the upgraded bushing and was going to purchase it but I had come to understand what you stated above. Will see if it ever becomes an issue and go from there. Thank you!

Mr. Nobody

Administrator
T3G Supporter
T3G O.G.
First Name
Andy
T3G Member
Can you charge a power station while still using it to power an accessory?
Probably depends on the individual power station and how they're wired. Are you talking like a Goal Zero kind of thing?

Mr. Nobody

Administrator
T3G Supporter
T3G O.G.
First Name
Andy
T3G Member
If I have a cold air intake like a K&N do I need to tune the truck?
Not necessarily, but the sad reality is the intake likely isn't actually improving performance no matter what. In fact many cheap intakes (K&N is pretty decent for sure) actually can harm your truck. Cold air intakes have been proven to be predominantly a placebo effect in almost every vehicle. It's likely that any gains you'd see from the tune and intake, were more from just the tune alone and would be similar if not the same or better on the factory intake.

Timebomb

T3G Member
#6,552
Are people doing black taillight mods with the 2020 sport/OR tails similar to the blank headlight mod?

Also, still wondering if the sun visors slide :)

Mr. Nobody

Administrator
T3G Supporter
T3G O.G.
First Name
Andy
T3G Member
Are people doing black taillight mods with the 2020 sport/OR tails similar to the blank headlight mod?

Also, still wondering if the sun visors slide :)
They do slide. And there's anumber of different lighting options for the tails.

gman081801

T3G Level: Lurker
First Name
Griffin
T3G Member
#1,785
Hello,

I have a 2018 TRD Sport and have wondered what a few good first mods would be for my truck to get into off-roading. Also if anyone knows of any spots to go in the North Dakota, South Dakota, and Minnesota area?

Top Bottom