• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Reference Ask a beginner question, get a serious answer!

Thank you all for the advise, I seem to be in a bind however with my suspension kit already on its way with 650lb springs. Orrr I could just go ahead and order 700lb springs and maybe they would get here at the same time....

What's the reason for 700lb springs? Added lift or just stiffer support for no sway bar?
You don't have to remove the sway bar to lift the truck. Some do, some don't. They are running 700 lb springs to make the front a little stiffer to make up for the fact that the sway bar isn't there.

New to off roading upgrades and such... what is the current rating of the leaf spring on the Pros and how do you guys calculate/decide upgrading to a higher rating?

New to off roading upgrades and such... what is the current rating of the leaf spring on the Pros and how do you guys calculate/decide upgrading to a higher rating?

The Pros have the same rear leaf springs as any pother trim level, which is fine if you dont intend on adding any weight to the back of the truck. Start adding things like a bed rack, tent, etc, then you have to figure out roughly how much more weight you are adding and get springs that align with the increased load. I personally have experience and have been very happy with the Deaver u402's (300lbs over stock) and the Icon RXT springs which are adjustable and can accommodate up to 500lbs over stock. Plus you get the added benefit of increased tired clearance and when paired with the correct shock, an big increase in travel.

Again, the stock springs are fine with stock load, but if you intend on adding bigger tires and need more height, or adding accessories to the bed, then you will want to look at some other options.

The most popular ones are the Deaver's I mentioned as well as the Icons and the OME Dakar leaf packs.

. I personally have experience and have been very happy with the Deaver u402's (300lbs over stock) and the Icon RXT springs which are adjustable and can accommodate up to 500lbs over stock.

Gotcha. Okay, thanks! I know you mentioned 300 lbs over stock on the ones you purchased, but what is the stock number? I intentionally went with the Pro to avoid doing much "under the body" type upgrades... but the more and more I get into this, I feel like I should have just went with a TRD OR and just did all the upgrades... again, really new at this stuff.

Gotcha. Okay, thanks! I know you mentioned 300 lbs over stock on the ones you purchased, but what is the stock number? I intentionally went with the Pro to avoid doing much "under the body" type upgrades... but the more and more I get into this, I feel like I should have just went with a TRD OR and just did all the upgrades... again, really new at this stuff.

Hmm, not sure of the exact weight rating of the stock springs but it isn't much. Toyota did not make those things capable of hauling much weight at all. I am running the Icon RXT springs now and couldn't be happier with them. They have 3 different configurations depending on your needs which makes them extremely versatile.

700lb coils are the way to go. In my opinion, it's a must do with any lift. Ride quality is better and can run less preload and still have the height you want
agreed. Went 700lbs on my icons and glad i did. Gave me the front support and height i needed with the steel bumper and winch.

I chuckled when I read this post b/c I was in the same boat. I purchased the Pro but got caught up in the forums and all hell broke loose.

I chuckled when I read this post b/c I was in the same boat. I purchased the Pro but got caught up in the forums and all hell broke loose.

hahaha. dang it.... Am I going to have the same fate??? Did you end up trading in?

What does everyone use to grease the ball joint on their UCA? My current UCA's have zerk fittings to grease the bushing but I feel like the exposed ball joint would need something?

What does everyone use to grease the ball joint on their UCA? My current UCA's have zerk fittings to grease the bushing but I feel like the exposed ball joint would need something?
If it is a true ball joint, red all purpose grease will work great. If it is a uniball, then dry lithium grease is what you want to use

hahaha. dang it.... Am I going to have the same fate??? Did you end up trading in?

If you hang around the forums, then yes. It’s inevitable.

Long story short, no. I ended up going with an ‘18 Cement OR with all the bells and whistles. Then proceeded to take it apart and put it back together. :unsure:

My plan hasn’t worked out all that well. No regrets with the current setup, but if I knew then what I know now, I probably would’ve done a few things different.

It all depends on what you want to do with your truck? I love my Pro. The suspension is kick ass, but you really can’t do much hardcore off-roading with the stock setup. Most people that run them hard or load them up, end up replacing the suspension.

Does anyone else have an issue with their key fob disengaging from the key part? My keys are usually hanging off my belt loop and a few times I've felt the fob fall. If anyone has the AJT key fob, will that remedy this problem?
I foresaw this being a problem and switched the ring over to the other hole on the fob. It’s only a piece of plastic holding that key in. Hope this helps

Are all TSS sensors located in the grill? I have a 2019 TRD Off Road Double Cab and i'm wanting to replace the grill. I've seen them online with and without sensor options. But I do not currently see a sensor in my grill and swear I have the TSS. Maybe mine is in a different location? Like above the rear view mirror with the other sensors.

Are all TSS sensors located in the grill? I have a 2019 TRD Off Road Double Cab and i'm wanting to replace the grill. I've seen them online with and without sensor options. But I do not currently see a sensor in my grill and swear I have the TSS. Maybe mine is in a different location? Like above the rear view mirror with the other sensors.

It's the Toyota emblem on your grill

It's the Toyota emblem on your grill
There's also a camera by the rear view mirror for lane departure and all of that stuff. Your radar sensor is in the grille behind the Toyota emblem.

Has anybody noticed that on the 2019s the bigger cubby in the bed on drivers side isn’t there anymore? Checked this on a couple others at the dealer

Back