• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Any DIY bed drawers or "decked" systems?

UnAverage Joe

2️⃣ Bronze
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone built their own "decked" systems or need drawers?

I'm trying to draw out specs to build one because I don't want to spend a $1000 on a decked system. But I'm going back on forth on whether to use mostly wood or try to use a steel or aluminum frame.

I also don't have a topper or tonneau cover yet so it would be exposed to elements (rain/snow/etc). Any suggestions?

I'll be building one similar to the one I built for my 4Runner. Plan is to build plywood boxes on casters for "drawers." I have a topper so I'm going more SUV style.

For an open truck without a topper, You could water seal the heck out of the plywood, or make something out of metal if you have the tools for that.

Here's the one I made for my 4Runner:
Original link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dY3AVpzBAwo&t=21s

-M

I'll be building one similar to the one I built for my 4Runner. Plan is to build plywood boxes on casters for "drawers." I have a topper so I'm going more SUV style.

For an open truck without a topper, You could water seal the heck out of the plywood, or make something out of metal if you have the tools for that.

Here's the one I made for my 4Runner:
Original link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dY3AVpzBAwo&t=21s

-M
Nice build! I like it! I'm definitely interested in if you build one for your truck.

I'm thinking of making it with wood but then the top platform be covered in rubber or sheet of aluminum. I definitely don't have access to a lot of tools like you. Haha

I have built both. wood is heavy but cheap. Aluminum is light but gets expensive and requires specialized tools. I personally wouldn't leave wood out in the elements. even if you paint it, it wouldn't last long. aluminum is very durable and powder coat will make it even more durable. You could talk to a local welding or fabrication shop to see what some aluminum work would cost you. (although i suspect it will be quite a bit above $1000)

Do you have a kind of design in your head? what you want the drawers to do could help determine what to make them out of.

I have built both. wood is heavy but cheap. Aluminum is light but gets expensive and requires specialized tools. I personally wouldn't leave wood out in the elements. even if you paint it, it wouldn't last long. aluminum is very durable and powder coat will make it even more durable. You could talk to a local welding or fabrication shop to see what some aluminum work would cost you. (although i suspect it will be quite a bit above $1000)

Do you have a kind of design in your head? what you want the drawers to do could help determine what to make them out of.
I ended up buying a tonneau cover and may just use a pelican case or two. I don't have tools and the room (live in an apartment...lol).

IMO you get what you pay for. A $1000 decked system is going to fit better, install easier, last longer and be 100% worth the investment at the end of the day.

Has anyone built their own "decked" systems or need drawers?

I'm trying to draw out specs to build one because I don't want to spend a $1000 on a decked system. But I'm going back on forth on whether to use mostly wood or try to use a steel or aluminum frame.

I also don't have a topper or tonneau cover yet so it would be exposed to elements (rain/snow/etc). Any suggestions?
We still support a good DIY build if you can make it happen. Here are a few differences that we like to call out when people ask what the real value of a DECKED system is in comparison
  • Durability - the recycled HDPE blend is injected molded around a steel frame. This plastic blend is the same as those electrical boxes you would find in the ground, or the plastic pallets that get beat up by fork-lifts all day, and are impervious to the elements.
  • Payload capacity - while you store your gear in the drawers you can load up to 2000 pounds of whatever you could think of on the DECKED system platform. ATV, pallet of bricks, coolers, etc. Even with that weight you can still effortlessly slide the drawers out.
  • Weatherproof - our system is not 100% waterproof but you should never have any leaking or issues with dirt/mud/water/snow getting in from above. Fine dust particles and moisture could find its way in.
  • 3-Warranty. We don't ask questions. If something breaks we will replace it. Simple and easy.
With that in mind we are happy to answer any questions that you may have around our system. Also be sure to check out our latest series with Dirk Deckman to have a good laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/eWmGwstORok
Original link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1meBJA-TSew

Original link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyOray-Z4VY

DECKED
DECKED.COM

Work Smarter. Play Harder

This customer review just came through this morning and I thought it might be helpful for anyone else out there looking at the DIY option.
1595001021745.png

We are always around to answer your questions. Feel free to call or email our support team and they can help walk through our product and often give feedback on how it compares to DIY versions based on previous customer experiences as well.

Thanks!

Nice build! I like it! I'm definitely interested in if you build one for your truck.

I'm thinking of making it with wood but then the top platform be covered in rubber or sheet of aluminum. I definitely don't have access to a lot of tools like you. Haha

I've settled on making a deck with 3/4 square tubing and having drop-in plywood panels. Then loose drawers underneath.

The Decked system has too much wasted space, though it is very nice.

-M

Back