• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Aftermarket skids

951_yota

5️⃣ Platinum
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Silver Sky
Looking at the oilfilter its unreachable with my new skids on. Do I need to drop this before going to Toyota for oilchange?

Ya and there is a mid skid too that has to come off for the front. Gonna be a pain in the butt each oil change.

Upvote 0
My RCI skid had a oil filter panel.

FF25872F-FD36-4DAD-B528-AF7B7AFC820C.jpeg

Upvote 0
My RCI skid had a oil filter panel.

FF25872F-FD36-4DAD-B528-AF7B7AFC820C.jpeg

Ok so mine does not. I assume to maximize protection down there and eliminate any weak spots. Not a crazy big deal there just hard with one person to drop each time. Still worth it for the protection i guess

Upvote 0
I have wondered what Toyota would say as well. I plan to add skids eventually.. I actually have an old skid from my 4th gen 4runner that I thought would fit. Went through all the trouble of cutting a filter access hole out only to find that while a lot of the rest of the suspension/drivetrain is interchangeable, the Taco skid plate is about 2" longer :(

1528339214844.jpg

Upvote 0
I have wondered what Toyota would say as well. I plan to add skids eventually.. I actually have an old skid from my 4th gen 4runner that I thought would fit. Went through all the trouble of cutting a filter access hole out only to find that while a lot of the rest of the suspension/drivetrain is interchangeable, the Taco skid plate is about 2" longer :(

1528339214844.jpg
My skid is aluminum wonder how i could cut out the access hole or if i would even want to

Upvote 0
Pelfrey doesn’t have a cut out either
Yeah they do. It’s a hole right under the pan. Just need an extender to reach the bolt. You’ll also probably get some oil splash on the inside of the skid.

Upvote 0
Yeah they do. It’s a hole right under the pan. Just need an extender to reach the bolt. You’ll also probably get some oil splash on the inside of the skid.
for an oil filter... no they do not

Upvote 0
My skid is aluminum wonder how i could cut out the access hole or if i would even want to
I used an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel, was pretty easy. Then I used a piece of flat iron on each side with a hole tapped to bolt the insert back in

Upvote 0

Add a Fumoto valve. Makes for an easy and clean oil drain right into a container. I also have something similar to drain the filter housing before removal.

Upvote 0
Back