• 3rd & 4th Generation Toyota Tacomas | Tacoma3G

🌮 Tacoma3G.com is an online resource and community for 2016-2024 Toyota Tacoma owners.

👤 Registration is completely free and only takes a few seconds, so we hope to see you and your rig on the forum!

♥️ Beginner friendly. Tight-knit. No ads. The raddest.

• New Year, New Tacoma3G.com Website! 🤙

Guest, welcome to 203G! Wait, no—2023? No…. Tacoma3G 2.0! The website appears visually different as part of an ongoing redesign. Read more about it, here. Alternatively, you can switch back to any of the now-classic designs, here.

🚧 Please report website oil leaks, your suggestions, and preview upcoming changes, here.

Aftermarket skids

951_yota

5️⃣ Platinum
Tacoma3G Supporter
Local time
1:18 AM
Reaction score
Looking at the oilfilter its unreachable with my new skids on. Do I need to drop this before going to Toyota for oilchange?

Rob Daman

7️⃣ Connoisseur
Tacoma3G O.G.
Local time
Reaction score
You may want to ask your local dealer about that. I know stock OR skids have to be dropped but since aftermarket is heavier who knows if they want to charge you. Plus I'd be concerned they over torque or strip them.

Upvote 0

951_yota

5️⃣ Platinum
Tacoma3G Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Ya and there is a mid skid too that has to come off for the front. Gonna be a pain in the butt each oil change.

Upvote 0

Taco_primo

6️⃣ Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Local time
Reaction score
My RCI skid had a oil filter panel.

FF25872F-FD36-4DAD-B528-AF7B7AFC820C.jpeg

Upvote 0

951_yota

5️⃣ Platinum
Tacoma3G Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My RCI skid had a oil filter panel.

FF25872F-FD36-4DAD-B528-AF7B7AFC820C.jpeg

Ok so mine does not. I assume to maximize protection down there and eliminate any weak spots. Not a crazy big deal there just hard with one person to drop each time. Still worth it for the protection i guess

Upvote 0

gaterose

4️⃣ Gold
Local time
3:18 AM
Reaction score
I have wondered what Toyota would say as well. I plan to add skids eventually.. I actually have an old skid from my 4th gen 4runner that I thought would fit. Went through all the trouble of cutting a filter access hole out only to find that while a lot of the rest of the suspension/drivetrain is interchangeable, the Taco skid plate is about 2" longer :(

1528339214844.jpg

Upvote 0

951_yota

5️⃣ Platinum
Tacoma3G Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have wondered what Toyota would say as well. I plan to add skids eventually.. I actually have an old skid from my 4th gen 4runner that I thought would fit. Went through all the trouble of cutting a filter access hole out only to find that while a lot of the rest of the suspension/drivetrain is interchangeable, the Taco skid plate is about 2" longer :(

1528339214844.jpg
My skid is aluminum wonder how i could cut out the access hole or if i would even want to

Upvote 0

Skye_tacoma

4️⃣ Gold
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Local time
Reaction score
Pelfrey doesn’t have a cut out either
Yeah they do. It’s a hole right under the pan. Just need an extender to reach the bolt. You’ll also probably get some oil splash on the inside of the skid.

Upvote 0

gaterose

4️⃣ Gold
Local time
3:18 AM
Reaction score
My skid is aluminum wonder how i could cut out the access hole or if i would even want to
I used an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel, was pretty easy. Then I used a piece of flat iron on each side with a hole tapped to bolt the insert back in

Upvote 0

JusCampin

2️⃣ Bronze
Local time
Reaction score
Yeah they do. It’s a hole right under the pan. Just need an extender to reach the bolt. You’ll also probably get some oil splash on the inside of the skid.

Add a Fumoto valve. Makes for an easy and clean oil drain right into a container. I also have something similar to drain the filter housing before removal.

Upvote 0