• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

5.29 gears

951_yota

5️⃣ Platinum
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Silver Sky
Just throwing this out there lol. I thought my 4.88’s were overkill. Not my cup of tea but nonetheless a new option

B07DAE11-6681-43FA-8341-BEF39CED895C.jpeg

Last edited:
I see 5.29s as a viable option for daily driven automatics with 34"+ tires. Highway RPMs would be a little too high for trucks with manual transmissions on the interstate, but not full retard. I'm still strongly considering them for mine though since regearing from 4.30 to 4.88 wouldn't be worth the time or expense.

Gear Ratios.jpg

5.29s would be great around town and a monster off-road with a 54:1 crawl ratio in 1st and the ability to bomb longer hill climbs at ~12 MPH in 2nd, locked... Should also really help keep the RPMs up to maintain speed on longer downhill stretches for less threshold braking.

Gear Ratios 4 Low.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
For your viewing pleasure. I wouldn't suggest 5.29's if you still plan on daily driving your truck and want to be able to maintain highway speed.

Holy SHIT. How have I never seen this truck?!

Upvote 0
Holy SHIT. How have I never seen this truck?!
Marlin has always had some cool stuff. This truck has been somewhat of an evolutions but cool to see what they've done with a truck that could in theory still be driven daily. In fact, I think they drove it to that Toyota Jamboree in Texas.

Upvote 0
Marlin has always had some cool stuff. This truck has been somewhat of an evolutions but cool to see what they've done with a truck that could in theory still be driven daily. In fact, I think they drove it to that Toyota Jamboree in Texas.

He did. Even got decent MPG on the drive out.

Upvote 0

Watched @Maxx.Powell’s video when it came out and had been holding a lot of weight in my mind ever since.

Pretty sure I’ve made my decision to do this 5.29 regear + some type of front locker.

We have a 4.88 thread, but let’s discuss this new-ish 5.29 kit now.

Upvote 0
We would have installed them if they were available when we regeard the truck to 4.88 with the 35's.
Front locker yes. Love our ARB.

Upvote 0

Watched @Maxx.Powell’s video when it came out and had been holding a lot of weight in my mind ever since.

Pretty sure I’ve made my decision to do this 5.29 regear + some type of front locker.

We have a 4.88 thread, but let’s discuss this new-ish 5.29 kit now.
We actually did already have a thread on 5.29s, but one is none right? :ROFLMAO:

https://tacoma3g.com/threads/5-29-gears.789/#post-8706

Upvote 0
The first thing I did before changing tire size, suspension lift and adding weight was visit Carl at Just Differentials and re-gear to 5.29s could have I gone to 4.88? Yes but I am more then delighted to have chose 5.29..........I highly suggest 5.29 for anyone that does off-road and 4.88 if you do not. Do the research and make an educated decision on any mods........dont just start throwing $ at it without a plan in place, that gets frustrating. FYI the service at Nitro is top notch true professionals! And no they don't endorse me however I will always recommend them or Mule Expedition Outfitters.

View: https://youtu.be/nbus4FjStIM

Upvote 0
I'm new this forum

I just upgraded my 2019 A/T Taco 4x4 with 33" tires. If OEM gearing is not good with 33" worse.

I have crunched all the numbers regearing with 4.88 & 5.29 with 33" tire. Note: Not planning at any time to go with larger tires.

My comparison calculations are based on the M/T version which I think is a great engineered version. This said 4.88 on the low end, combinations for 2nd through 4th show are very similar to the M/T while with 5.29 are slightly higher on 5th & 6th, where most of the time it is used, is higher compared to M/T. This said I believe 5.29 is more acceptable acceptable on the high end performance. On my uneducated opinion has excellent low end ratios making it a great workhorse but probably a touch low on final trans gears for the everyday single vehicle user

In my particular case I don't do any extreme off roading only that needed for snow and conventional off road driving. Mainly use my Taco for everyday driving, rolly & twisty alternate/side roads, occasional +6000 ft altitudes and driving highways in Mexico at higher than US speed limits 90/100 mph

2016-2019 TACOMA GEAR RATIO TO MPH-page-001.jpg

This is one of many comparisons I have made to compare M/T vs A/T versions. These calculations are based on 3000 rpm that is 50% of max rpm nevertheless lower than peak torque. The lower part equates to how many RPM's does the 3.5L engine needs to turn with 4.88 & 5.29 to match M/T ratio mph speed for each trans gear. This said both 4.88 & 5.29 will do the job. Here lies personal experiences with different final gear combinations where the M/T has a 3.05 A/T with 4.88 will have a 2.83 final gear and with 5.29 is 3.07. Hope all this info is not confusing to readers.

Will appreciate suggestions as what differential gear ratios you recommend based on personal experience using 33"tires. Also what gears are OEM quality. Have seen Revolution and Nitro as first choice. I know that Yukon is another named brand but have seen in different Taco and other forums that these do not come close to OEM standards

Thanks
John

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The general consensus is that if you plan to go no larger than 33", and aren't planning to add a bunch of weight, that 4.88's are the way to go. That said I think the factory manual transmission is a 4.10 so it's not much of a huge difference. I have heard of plenty of people going straight to 5.29 on near factory setups and being very pleased.

I just had a callback from my shop, they said my truck is ready for pickup. So tomorrow I'll get to drive it for the first time with 5.29's. ?

Upvote 0
Thanks.

Please let me know how your 5.29 feels and tire size you are running

I'm running 315/70/17 C rated Toyo Open Country MT's. I'm be picking it up today, but I'll be waiting to really judge them until after the break in period.

Upvote 0
Andy.

Thanks.
I see you are running 34.4" tires. Yes please let me know how your Taco performs after break-in. Im sure you will be very happy with your new regear setup.

Upvote 0
Andy.

By the way I am also in San Diego. What shop did your regear????

I went to Brothers 4x4 in Montclair and bought the gears through @Battle Born Offroad here on the site. ?

Happy with Battle Borns price and service and Brothers has been great as well. Smoking prices from both. I'm actually stopped right now and eating lunch after my first break in hear cycle.

Upvote 0
I went to Brothers 4x4 in Montclair and bought the gears through @Battle Born Offroad here on the site. ?

Happy with Battle Borns price and service and Brothers has been great as well. Smoking prices from both. I'm actually stopped right now and eating lunch after my first break in hear cycle.
Thanks for the shout out! We'll help any members with awesome pricing!

Upvote 0
Here's some info from my 3rd leg home that some of you may be interested in. The mpg is unadjusted for tire size (315/70/17).

Screenshot_20191024-150501.jpg
Screenshot_20191024-151311.jpg
Screenshot_20191024-150605.jpg

Upvote 0
Andy
Thanks. Hot day and long way home breaking your gears.
Great Info. Have already correlated it to 33" tires. 4.88 correlate slightly higher and 5.29 also a touch lower than what you are running with your setup. Nevertheless important info.
Yes, I have also talked with Gaspar at Brothers 4x4. If it is not to much to ask. How much did he $$charge you for labor. Did Gaspar give a waranty on parts all though he did not supply the gears???

Congratulations. I'm sure you will enjoy your new gear arrangement particularly if the upgrade was from the OEM 3.909 ratio.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the shout out! We'll help any members with awesome pricing!

Hi.
Please provide me with a estimate for regearing my 2019 4x4 Taco with non-lock
VIN: 3TMCZ5AN3KM228617
Truck has only 3000 mi. I don't believe a master rebuild kit is needed. Probably only a mini kit will do
Ratios: 4.88 & 5.29 TBD?

Email; jcalmazanm@gmail.com

Thanks.
John

Upvote 0
Andy
Thanks. Hot day and long way home breaking your gears.
Great Info. Have already correlated it to 33" tires. 4.88 correlate slightly higher and 5.29 also a touch lower than what you are running with your setup. Nevertheless important info.
Yes, I have also talked with Gaspar at Brothers 4x4. If it is not to much to ask. How much did he $$charge you for labor. Did Gaspar give a waranty on parts all though he did not supply the gears???

Congratulations. I'm sure you will enjoy your new gear arrangement particularly if the upgrade was from the OEM 3.909 ratio.

Pm sent

I didn't even ask about a warranty. At the price I paid, it's unrealistic to expect it.

Upvote 0
Back