• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

5.29 gears

951_yota

5️⃣ Platinum
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Silver Sky
Just throwing this out there lol. I thought my 4.88’s were overkill. Not my cup of tea but nonetheless a new option

B07DAE11-6681-43FA-8341-BEF39CED895C.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi.
Please provide me with a estimate for regearing my 2019 4x4 Taco with non-lock
VIN: 3TMCZ5AN3KM228617
Truck has only 3000 mi. I don't believe a master rebuild kit is needed. Probably only a mini kit will do
Ratios: 4.88 & 5.29 TBD?

Email; jcalmazanm@gmail.com

Thanks.
John
Sent a quote over! if you dont see it check your junk mail

Upvote 0
The general consensus is that if you plan to go no larger than 33", and aren't planning to add a bunch of weight, that 4.88's are the way to go. That said I think the factory manual transmission is a 4.10 so it's not much of a huge difference. I have heard of plenty of people going straight to 5.29 on near factory setups and being very pleased.

I just had a callback from my shop, they said my truck is ready for pickup. So tomorrow I'll get to drive it for the first time with 5.29's. ?

i am planning to re gear, still haven't decided on either 4.88 or 5.29..How do you like the 5.29? I'm running 33's with just rock sliders and skid plate really as far as added weight.

Upvote 0
This is another one I have planned for out in the future. From what I've gathered online I think 5.29 is the consensus so that's how I was leaning as well. My biggest concern was making sure to do the proper break in procedure after installation. Stoked to see all of you regearing, gives me some confidence when I get around to mine.

Upvote 0
i am planning to re gear, still haven't decided on either 4.88 or 5.29..How do you like the 5.29? I'm running 33's with just rock sliders and skid plate really as far as added weight.

You know, gears are funny. I honestly like them, but at the same time it's still not perfect. I'm running my truck about as heavy as it comes and sitting on 285/70/17's (I had 315/70/17 and downsized). I think a bit larger tire will be the sweet spot as the RPMs are just a tad bit higher at freeway speeds and I think bumping up a tad would be perfect. If I bumped the tire size up just a bit, I think the rpms will drop down and I'll eek out a bit more mpg and drivability. Maybe just barely a 34" would be perfect for me, maybe a 295/70/17 or 295/75. While I say the RPMs at highway can be a tad high, the pep and ease off the line is much, much better. So there's a balance.

With your setup, if you do a lot of highway, I'd maybe stay with the 4.88's. BUT, only if you don't plan to increase your weight any more than you're already at. If your going to raise your weight any more, go 5.29.

Upvote 0
With your setup, if you do a lot of highway, I'd maybe stay with the 4.88's. BUT, only if you don't plan to increase your weight any more than you're already at. If your going to raise your weight any more, go 5.29.

By more weight, you do mean always on type weight, like armor + winch? I'm starting to think about re-gearing for this year's expense, and going through the same dilemma. Mine is a daily driver and I won't have a fully loaded truck every weekend as there are not many trails near me. I have the front bumper, winch, bed rack, and tent, but the tent is off the truck most of the time. I do plan on staying around 33" tires because I don't really want to do a CMC. My first thought is to go 5.29 to future proof it. What do you think?

Upvote 0
Is this a phone app? Whats it called ? Where can i find it?

Yes. OBD Fusion

App Store.

@UploadAdventure is correct. The app is OBDFusion and I'm a fan of it. Definitely worth looking into.

You'll also need an OBD connection module. I ordered mine off Amazon.

Veepeak OBDCheck BLE OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner Auto OBD II Diagnostic Scan Tool for iOS & Android, Bluetooth 4.0 Car Check Engine Light Code Reader Supports Torque, OBD Fusion app

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073XKQQQW/?tag=tacoma3g-20

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Back