• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

2-3 inch lift and tire size

codybishop

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
Hey guys. new owner here and needing some help. Im wanting to do something in the 2-3 inch range on a suspension lift/ upgrade. Im running ridge grappler 265 70 17 and would like to keep those and maybe go to a 275 in the future. What is a good, smooth riding lift? looking to stay around $2000 range. Thanks. Would also like to know if done would my tires I have look good on it lifted slightly?

2k with a self install can get you into coilover territory, icon stage 2, fox 2.0 kits, etc.

A full 3” lift on 32s might look like you skipped leg day a teeny bit.

Figure out what your needs are and go from there.

2k with a self install can get you into coilover territory, icon stage 2, fox 2.0 kits, etc.

A full 3” lift on 32s might look like you skipped leg day a teeny bit.

Figure out what your needs are and go from there.
Agree with this.

The price range is dependent on if you want to DIY install or not. But if you do, $2k will get you a solid setup from the major trusted brands. You should also be able to go all the way up to a 285/70 or 285/75 so it doesn't look like you skipped leg day.

Do you feel partial to a specific brand right now?

Here’s my OME 887 lift (2”?) on 265/70r17. Waiting on tires to bald before going 285. They do look a little bald from a distance.
5DA0650D-8549-4F0A-AA9B-D04EE2E1806D.jpeg
A58AE91D-2197-484A-A8C4-D095F34F7860.jpeg

This site has so much information to digest that its overwhelming for me. I have a plan and Im going to spill it out on this thread. I
honestly need the experts on this site to help me get it right. I am trying to learn this one post read at a time.

Im 50 and my 2017 TRD OR is still stock. i bought it for my 12 year old son. (No Idea why I had kids this late in life.)
Its his dream truck. It will be his when he turns 17 and its paid for. So during the 5 years that I'm driving it, i want to do all the upgrades he wants. Im on year 2 of ownership and its time to start getting it done. We hunt and fish a lot in Louisiana, Texas, Arkansas and Missouri.
So we travel, go offroad, tow a boat, tow a 7x16 utility trailer with a polaris 500 Side by side on it. This truck gets used. it will see its fair share of dirt. The planned mods are; Lift, tires, wheels, LED lights, seat covers and a Camper shell.

I'm gonna start on the lift and tires first. I've been talking to Headstrong offroad on the lift components.
im looking at the following lift components:

Front -
Bilstein 5100 adjustable struts
OME 887 Coils
HS 1/4" Top Plate Spacer

Rear-
Standard length Bilsteins
HS 3-leaf Progressive add a leaf (1.5" rear lift)

So currently the truck is pretty level. so any changes i make need to stay level.
I also want to use the 4Runner wheels. https://www.ebay.com/i/323636844516?chn=ps
and a tire as big as i can get without doing the CMC. The truck has 100k warranty
and I have no intention of risking voiding that warranty.

265-70-17 or 285-70-17 Tires? Im leaning toward the BFG KO2
https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/bfgoodrich-all-terrain-t-a-ko2/p/32060
275-65-17 looks like a good option wiht the 31.1" Diameter

now that I have laid it out on the table here,
my question to the gurus here is this:

Does the parts, concepts and plan shown equal to getting the look and performance I envision?
What tire size can i expect to use without rubbing and no CMC (considering the wheels I expect to use)?

the attached pic belongs to Reexcitybiitch on instagram. That's the look we want for my sons truck.

Thank you T3G

Sensei Buddy
Louisiana
2017 Tacoma TRD OffRoad 4x4
Bone Stock!

Attachments

• reexcitybeoth.JPG
    reexcitybeoth.JPG
    222.8 KB · Views: 2,197
Last edited:
Headstrong is a good company.

285s are going to rub but there's some peoples say they won't with proper alignment and aftermarket UCAs but I'll agree to disagree on that point.

This site has so much information to digest that its overwhelming for me. I have a plan and Im going to spill it out on this thread. I
honestly need the experts on this site to help me get it right. I am trying to learn this one post read at a time.

Im 50 and my 2017 TRD OR is still stock. i bought it for my 12 year old son. (No Idea why I had kids this late in life.)
Its his dream truck. It will be his when he turns 17 and its paid for. So during the 5 years that I'm driving it, i want to do all the upgrades he wants. Im on year 2 of ownership and its time to start getting it done. We hunt and fish a lot in Louisiana, Texas, Arkansas and Missouri.
So we travel, go offroad, tow a boat, tow a 7x16 utility trailer with a polaris 500 Side by side on it. This truck gets used. it will see its fair share of dirt. The planned mods are; Lift, tires, wheels, LED lights, seat covers and a Camper shell.

I'm gonna start on the lift and tires first. I've been talking to Headstrong offroad on the lift components.

Front -
OME 887 Coils
HS 1/4" Top Plate Spacer

Rear-

So currently the truck is pretty level. so any changes i make need to stay level.
I also want to use the 4Runner wheels. https://www.ebay.com/i/323636844516?chn=ps
and a tire as big as i can get without doing the CMC. The truck has 100k warranty

Does the parts, concepts and plan shown equal to getting the look and performance I envision?
What tire size can i expect to use without rubbing and no CMC (considering the wheels I expect to use)?

the attached pic belongs to Reexcitybiitch on instagram. That's the look we want for my sons truck.

Thank you T3G

Sensei Buddy
Louisiana
Bone Stock!

Front -
OME 887 Coils
HS 1/4" Top Plate Spacer

Rear-

Thank you T3G

Sensei Buddy
Louisiana
Bone Stock!
A solid suspension setup. if you want to spend the extra money Icon Vehicle Dynamics is a great suspension to run if you do a lot of offroading but also a lot of daily driving. With the camper shell and towing and constant bed use, you want a heavy duty leaf pack (I have heavy duty dakaars and add a leaf) and I'd also maybe recommend firestone air bags with an on board arb air compressor if you are towing a lot but I personally have no experience with towing and wouldn't know what weights are pretty intense and really need the bags. With that specific wheel a 285/75r17 will probably rub a little bit so the lower tire size would be the best bet. Also with stock upper control arms the bump steer is very present so I'd recommend adding those in with a lift because you can get a much better alignment while also making road driving much more comfortable

You mentioned the 4runner wheels. Something that seems to get overlooked a lot is wheel width and offset, and how the play a part in tire fitment.

Also remember the number one thing about tire fitment - lift doesnt change what size tire fits, especially since you plan on being out in the rough with it. It has to fit stock height for it to actually fit.

Back