• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

12V Bed Outlet Install

Malcolm

7️⃣ Connoisseur
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2017 Pro DCSB Auto
Cement
Hey everyone,

Since ive picked up a fridge, i will be adding a 12V outlet with a rocker switch so that i can power the fridge rather than using the 110 inverter that is supplied in the truck bed of my tacoma. I will update this thread when i start the install and get everything wired, my BIG question is, what size fuse should i run from the battery positive to the outlet. The max amp load for the fridge is 7.8, but i bought a 12v outlet with some USB ports as well for charging phones and stuff. Would a 25amp fuse be overkill or could i get away with say a 10-15amp fuse for this application? Im not well versed in electronics as i wish i was so i figured id turn here for some advice!

Hey everyone,

Since ive picked up a fridge, i will be adding a 12V outlet with a rocker switch so that i can power the fridge rather than using the 110 inverter that is supplied in the truck bed of my tacoma. I will update this thread when i start the install and get everything wired, my BIG question is, what size fuse should i run from the battery positive to the outlet. The max amp load for the fridge is 7.8, but i bought a 12v outlet with some USB ports as well for charging phones and stuff. Would a 25amp fuse be overkill or could i get away with say a 10-15amp fuse for this application? Im not well versed in electronics as i wish i was so i figured id turn here for some advice!

You should run a fuse for each item. Especially the fridge , you should just add another fuse box in your truck it will make life easier
20180205_173028.jpg

The fuse size is actually to protect the wire from too much of an amp load that it melts the wire.

There's a science to it that I'm not great either but here's Blue Seas info for reference

https://www.bluesea.com/articles/1441
according to blue seas info i should use a 30amp for 14AWG wire, going off the specs of the fridge.

so I finished the other night, but me rushing to get it done as it was already late forgot to take voltage drop/loss into account. I had used 14AWG wire, when i really needed to run 10AWG to account for this issue. So, ill be rewiring with 10AWG and then ill complete this thread with photos as a tutorial.

so I finished the other night, but me rushing to get it done as it was already late forgot to take voltage drop/loss into account. I had used 14AWG wire, when i really needed to run 10AWG to account for this issue. So, ill be rewiring with 10AWG and then ill complete this thread with photos as a tutorial.
Can’t wait to see it ? was it a pain in the ass to do?

Can’t wait to see it ? was it a pain in the ass to do?
No not at all. I was going to install it in the passenger side storage cubby door but decided against that and cut into the bed. Going to seal it with silicone so it’s pretty water tight. Running the wire was very easy. All I gotta do is remove it and run the 10 AWG wire and I’ll be done. I’ll do a full write up when I’m finished with step by step photos and wiring diagram. I’ll make it very straight forward for you all. Will probably record a YouTube video walking through it when I run the 10AWG wire showing the whole process so people have a good visual

how about those pictures and tutorials! looking forward to seeing your process for this, as i am getting the SP9100 kit soon and likely a fridge myself.

This is exactly what I’m about to do...can’t wait to see the build write up/video!

First post here but I’m over on Tacoma world mostly. Any way, here is what I did. It’s a blue sea panel with an OLED volt meter. Also the gauge isn’t broken. I guess the camera caught the gauge at a bad time ?

I had a fridge in my cargo van build and am looking at doing it in my Tacoma. My question to everyone here is: Do you have an auxillary battery or do you just use the main battery? In my van I had a separate 100 amp hour battery with an isolator to break the connection from the main battery when the van was off.

I had a fridge in my cargo van build and am looking at doing it in my Tacoma. My question to everyone here is: Do you have an auxillary battery or do you just use the main battery? In my van I had a separate 100 amp hour battery with an isolator to break the connection from the main battery when the van was off.
Do you need no, should you yes the fridge will draw a lot of power having a aux battery will keep your main charged up and the fridge to stay cold and it won't leave you stranded compile that with a small solar setup and you can go days running, even a bigger battery like a 31 won't do wonders to be honest the factory Toyota battery isnt exactly the greatest

checking in as I'm trying to do this install - how are the wires being run from the bed to the front/battery?
are you going through firewall ??

checking in as I'm trying to do this install - how are the wires being run from the bed to the front/battery?
are you going through firewall ??
You would run the wires ontop of the frame rail to you engine bay

Back