• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

You guys interested in another forum posting contest?

Tyler

🔟 Mythical
Badministrator
Volunteer T3G Editor
Reaction score
Website
tacoma3g.com
2017 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Quicksand
I'm thinking about hosting another forum posting contest. Basically, the member that makes the most posts from date Y to date X will win something cool.

For those of you that remember the last one, do you think you'd participate? Or do you feel that these are hard to win due to some members having more time IRL to dedicate to this? Do you have any suggestions for a posting contest to make it more fair or exciting?

I'm open to ideas but I would prefer the ultimate goal of the contest to remain as creating more discussions around the forum. Other than that, I'd be willing to spice it up if we can.

-----

Edit: Or, how about a single post that answers a few questions and the winner is chosen either by the story I liked the most or the story that you guys voted for?

Some questions could be:

What is your car/truck history before your Tacoma? Did you already have similar hobbies or is your Tacoma your first step into the 4x4/gearhead world?

How did you end up choosing a Tacoma? What are some of the other options you looked at? Did you have a cool car-hunting/buying experience?

What did you quickly learn about your Tacoma after you bought it? Things you started to love or hate that you didn't necessarily expect when you chose a Tacoma?

What are your goals now that you own one? Do you have planned must-have mods or must-see destinations or are you content with where you're at?

Money aside, what would be your perfect setup as far as mods go?

Anything else you'd like to add...

Last edited:
Volume posting leaves me kind of leery. Mainly because volume may not necessarily translate into discussion. Not that I'm against it just a brief opinion. As I won't leave just a nay saying opinion on here without anything else to follow up, here is my suggestion:

Most helpful post/response individual. Answering questions, providing feedback to those seeking knowledge/suggestions.

Volume posting leaves me kind of leery. Mainly because volume may not necessarily translate into discussion. Not that I'm against it just a brief opinion. As I won't leave just a nay saying opinion on here without anything else to follow up, here is my suggestion:

Most helpful post/response individual. Answering questions, providing feedback to those seeking knowledge/suggestions.
Good point. I agree with this.

What if the contest was more like a single post where the member writes a couple paragraphs about the before, during, and future of them getting a Tacoma and getting into the hobby?

Similar to what people usually write in the first post of their build thread. But this would be a new writeup for the contest.

I like the idea of a contest that gets more people communicating. Number of replies would definitely have to count for something in my opinion. That can give you an idea of what posts are really helpful and informative rather than people just making random posts for the sake of the contest.

Some questions could be:

What is your car/truck history before your Tacoma? Did you already have similar hobbies or is your Tacoma your first step into the 4x4/gearhead world?

How did you end up choosing a Tacoma? What are some of the other options you looked at? Did you have a cool car-hunting/buying experience?

What did you quickly learn about your Tacoma after you bought it? Things you started to love or hate that you didn't necessarily expect when you chose a Tacoma?

What are your goals now that you own one? Do you have planned must-have mods or must-see destinations or are you content with where you're at?

Money aside, what would be your perfect setup as far as mods go?

Anything else you'd like to add...

I like the idea, it’ll be a place where you can share your story completely. So the best write up with the most likes wins? We’re not being judged on grammar right? Lol

Maybe add any challenges or things you had to get used to since switching over the a Tacoma? Because I, for the life of me, still never park my gas tank fill up near enough to the pump... coming from a camaro

I like the idea, it’ll be a place where you can share your story completely. So the best write up with the most likes wins? We’re not being judged on grammar right? Lol
Correct and no, lol -- you don't have to write well to win -- just have an interesting story or an engaging way of telling it.

Maybe add any challenges or things you had to get used to since switching over the a Tacoma? Because I, for the life of me, still never park my gas tank fill up near enough to the pump... coming from a camaro
Good idea!

I am not interested in contests or anything of the kind. I wouldn't enter or view the submissions. Not saying you shouldn't do it. Just saying it's not something I'd participate in.

-M

I think if I set out to win I would post a bunch of junk instead of legit content.
Maybe a member of the month, for being helpful or bringing good energy to the forum.
This group has helped me a bunch the last year. Like lots of us, I was struggling with some head space issues. Mod therapy and OCD tacoma research kept mind off of my problems for hours at a time.

Maybe a member of the month, for being helpful or bringing good energy to the forum.
I really like this idea, but couldn't imagine how you'd judge that with any mount of fairness.

I agree with the direction this thread went along. Definitely a contest over a story, or most useful post, is way better than just highest number of posts in X amount of days.

I don't know... I come here because it is so much easier to navigate than TacomaWorld. I have already received some good advice about throttle control and have since ordered my Pedal Master. I think that the idea is good, but volume postings would be an issue for me due to time constraints, however, I think that Tyler's questions are awesome and it has given me an idea of the things that I can talk about. I think that the question suggestions are awesome.
My life with Toyota began with a 2002 Tundra Extended Cab and then a 2006 Double Cab that I drove for 10 years. When I built my house, they built the garage too small and the truck would not fit. I had a G37S Infinity that I was not ready to get rid of, so I traded the Tundra in on an SUV Crossover QX50. I had 156,000 miles on the Tundra and sight unseen from the dealership they gave me $12,000 for it. They drove 25 miles back to my house to pick it up. I thought that my forever home would be here in sunny Florida, but it did not work out that way. I've decided to move to the Asheville NC area. I will be in the Pisgah National Forest and I will be building at an elevation of 2500 feet. I decided that it was time to get my truck back. I wanted another double cab, so I went down to the dealership and took some measurements, and then I brought them back to the garage. Yep! The truck would not fit. I was very disappointed. The next weekend, my neighbor's son came down to visit his parents and he had a 2020 Tacoma in that "VooDoo" Blue. It was gorgeous! I went online to try and find one. Not realizing that this was a specialty color, I went online trying to find one and several dealerships stated that they had them, but once I got there, then it became a color that they could get. I was sold on the VooDoo, but I did not want them to "get" me anything, I just wanted to purchase the truck that day had they had the inventory that they said they had online. Ironically, the last dealership that I had landed at, (after visiting 3) did have the best inventory and so she just politely asked, "I can't get you the Blue that you want today, but I can get you a really good deal on what we have in inventory if you think that this is something that you wanted to do today. Would you like to test-drive a Tacoma"? Until that moment, it had never dawned on me to want to test drive the thing, so I said yeah as an afterthought. We then test drove three models. An SR5, an Extended Cab, and then a TRD Off-Road. Well, here I am at the dealership applying all of my worldly knowledge to what I think that I know about cars and trucks as I test-drive these models. As I would come to later find out after my purchase, I knew jack squat about these trucks and while she is the little sister to the Tundra, she is not the Tundra. During my test driving, I was not concentrating on the feel of the truck, I was looking for the similarities of the Tundra. They are two very different beasts, I just had not realized that as of yet and during the test drives. I finally did decide on the 2021 Off-Road Tacoma, I did get a very good deal on it. They even threw in a mat for the bed and custom mats in the front. If it weren't for the fact that the deal was so good, I might have taken the thing back, but that is another story and I don't feel that way now.

I agree with the "quality" competition vs. quantity.
Maybe you could do several categories:
-most helpful
-most entertaining
-best "rescue" (mod gone bad but then turned good)
-best recovery story

contests are difficult. figuring out what to base them on as well as how a winner is chosen, add to that the giveaway item has to have value to the participants so that people will get involved. With a forum like this that is about the Tacoma, you have to choose what the primary focus of the forum is, as I have looked over the various discussions and while they are great, this place has a very varied variety of information without concentrating on any one thing. it is one of the strengths and at the same time a weakness when it comes to a contest.

There are off roaders, and overlanders, and few parking lot queens, and some that like a stock ride save a few mods. all of that is great, as it brings a lot to the table. being said, a contest could leave a few people out of the loop if the entry to said contest is too specific.

Don't get me wrong, im all about a contest of sorts as im a competitive person by nature. so let the games begin.

I'm not a fan of the contest idea. Forced content isn't quality content.

contests are difficult. figuring out what to base them on as well as how a winner is chosen, add to that the giveaway item has to have value to the participants so that people will get involved. With a forum like this that is about the Tacoma, you have to choose what the primary focus of the forum is, as I have looked over the various discussions and while they are great, this place has a very varied variety of information without concentrating on any one thing. it is one of the strengths and at the same time a weakness when it comes to a contest.

There are off roaders, and overlanders, and few parking lot queens, and some that like a stock ride save a few mods. all of that is great, as it brings a lot to the table. being said, a contest could leave a few people out of the loop if the entry to said contest is too specific.

Don't get me wrong, im all about a contest of sorts as im a competitive person by nature. so let the games begin.

I'm not a fan of the contest idea. Forced content isn't quality content.

You both made great points.

Hmmm. I'm a little torn. On one hand, more contests would (hopefully) garner more interests and conversations and entice people to engage. But I'm concerned that the prospect of a "prize" would cause some embellishment in stories. Unless the prize is something small and fun, like a patch or sticker.
I wouldn't mind a contest or two if we wanted to trial it first. I'm in it for the fun, not to win!

Back