• ⚙️ 3rd & 4th Gen Toyota Tacomas | Tacoma3G

🌮 Tacoma3G.com is an online resource and community for 2016+ Toyota Tacoma owners.

👤 Registration is completely free and only takes a few seconds, so we hope to see you and your rig on the forum!

♥️ Beginner friendly. Tight-knit. No ads. The raddest. Read more about us...

Maintenance You cannot replace your rack and pinion bushings with the steering rack in the truck

Hunter399

5️⃣ Platinum
Rig of the Month
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Truck Year
Truck Color
White
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
#2,654
Any updates and advice on this? So trying to search for the reason for a clunking and popping while turning led to me replacing my lower control arms and switch upper control brands. Then I did the marlin lower brace kit, and a heim steering upgrade on my spindles. Well two months later the popping came back. After hours I finally sound that my steering rack is tight but slightly moves under pressure. I am guessing my bushings are shot.

Anyone complete this yet? Dreading it. And mines not too bad, my steering is very tight with the double heim steering. But need to get it done.

Part number that works? And any recommendations?

Thanks guys. Super frustrated with the time and money of my turd lately hahaha

Tyler

🔟 Mythical
Badministrator
Reaction score
Truck Year
Truck Color
Quicksand
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Long Bed
Transmission
Automatic
Build Thread
(Build Thread)
T3G Member
Any updates and advice on this? So trying to search for the reason for a clunking and popping while turning led to me replacing my lower control arms and switch upper control brands. Then I did the marlin lower brace kit, and a heim steering upgrade on my spindles. Well two months later the popping came back. After hours I finally sound that my steering rack is tight but slightly moves under pressure. I am guessing my bushings are shot.

Anyone complete this yet? Dreading it. And mines not too bad, my steering is very tight with the double heim steering. But need to get it done.

Part number that works? And any recommendations?

Thanks guys. Super frustrated with the time and money of my turd lately hahaha
I still haven’t done it and likely won’t until complete failure or until I take the camper off my truck and switch to the next version of my build.

I have the clunking too. I’ve had it for, what, 2+ years now? I know it’s not the UCAs, LCAs, or most other easy spots to check. I do believe it’s coming from this.

I can get you the part number for the bushings that I ordered if that’s what you meant.

Tyler

🔟 Mythical
Badministrator
Reaction score
Truck Year
Truck Color
Quicksand
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Long Bed
Transmission
Automatic
Build Thread
(Build Thread)
T3G Member
@Hunter399 - these are the bushings I have which are known to be a working solution

Also, have you watched any videos about this? There are a couple that kind of confirm this is an issue.

Hunter399

5️⃣ Platinum
Rig of the Month
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Truck Year
Truck Color
White
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
#2,654
@Tyler thanks for the help man! Yeah I will get those ordered, I will probably wait a bit to as well. Mines more of a pop pop pop. When turning. Super frustrating though, my truck is only at 40k but I do offroad the crap out of it. Could be more pronounced since I have heim joints

New Holland Overland

7️⃣ Connoisseur
Rig of the Month
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Color
White
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
@Tyler thanks for the help man! Yeah I will get those ordered, I will probably wait a bit to as well. Mines more of a pop pop pop. When turning. Super frustrating though, my truck is only at 40k but I do offroad the crap out of it. Could be more pronounced since I have heim joints
I havent done my steering rack bushings either...my trucks been in and out of the dealer so no time for upgrades

Mine did that and it turned out to be the lower spherical bearings on the shocks that were popping since they were worn out. I also had another popping and it was the body mounts on the core support that were worn out.

Tyler

🔟 Mythical
Badministrator
Reaction score
Truck Year
Truck Color
Quicksand
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Long Bed
Transmission
Automatic
Build Thread
(Build Thread)
T3G Member
lower spherical bearings on the shocks that were popping since they were worn out
My shocks/coils are EXHAUSTED to the point where idk how they don't leak or make noise or anything yet. But I suppose it's possible the clunking noise could actually be this. Good tip.

I also had another popping and it was the body mounts on the core support that were worn out
I don't have stock front mounts anymore. Was it the front ones making noise?

New Holland Overland

7️⃣ Connoisseur
Rig of the Month
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Color
White
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
My shocks/coils are EXHAUSTED to the point where idk how they don't leak or make noise or anything yet. But I suppose it's possible the clunking noise could actually be this. Good tip.

I don't have stock front mounts anymore. Was it the front ones making noise?
Yeah my front body mounts on the core support were making some popping sounds when turning or at full flex. That spot on the truck moves surprisingly quite a lot.

Tyler

🔟 Mythical
Badministrator
Reaction score
Truck Year
Truck Color
Quicksand
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Long Bed
Transmission
Automatic
Build Thread
(Build Thread)
T3G Member
That spot on the truck moves surprisingly quite a lot.
I think that’s why a lot of guys suggest against the mount relocations and sometimes say it eventually leads to your windshield cracking if you don’t do it perfectly.

Mine were done by master welder welds_taco though lol

Hunter399

5️⃣ Platinum
Rig of the Month
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Truck Year
Truck Color
White
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
#2,654
I definitely had to replace my body mounts a few months ago, I was getting a bad clunk up front.

Hunter399

5️⃣ Platinum
Rig of the Month
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Truck Year
Truck Color
White
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
#2,654
As an update I actually was able to get the bushings out without removing the steering rack. Cutting the bolts method, then just air hammered them out. Replaced them with the recommended energy solutions bushings. It’s a ton better now and more solid. My noise is gone! Until the next noise comes along haha

Tyler

🔟 Mythical
Badministrator
Reaction score
Truck Year
Truck Color
Quicksand
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Long Bed
Transmission
Automatic
Build Thread
(Build Thread)
T3G Member
As an update I actually was able to get the bushings out without removing the steering rack. Cutting the bolts method, then just air hammered them out. Replaced them with the recommended energy solutions bushings. It’s a ton better now and more solid. My noise is gone! Until the next noise comes along haha
Nice! Hearing that your noise went away (ha) makes me want to actually do mine.

Tyler

🔟 Mythical
Badministrator
Reaction score
Truck Year
Truck Color
Quicksand
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Long Bed
Transmission