• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Yellow fog lights.

Even though amber bulbs are typically less bright than white lights of equivalent draw, you often see amber in fogs because the 2700-3000k color temperature spectrum produces less reflection and glare on airborne media so your eyes perceive the light as "cutting through" rain, dust and snow. It's also a less obnoxious color to oncoming drivers, and attracts fewer bugs than white light.

Some of the "yellow" fogs you see on the street are filtered with a tinted overlay on the lens using something like this, but amber bulbs and diodes are more effective than tinted lenses in general because the light isn't being filtered and scattered:

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/y...ENmdrzdAoKBQ9qq5YDBqCvkXduIRaGqUaAp7kEALw_wcB

Last edited:
I've seen tons of options. We tested our lights with clear lens/amber bulb, amber lens/white bulb, amber lens/amber bulb. We found that the best and most effective option is the clear lens/amber bulb. The amber bulb gives you a much richer color, making it more effective in bad conditions than a brighter yellow. Not saying the yellow doesnt work. Have to remember amber lights are used for a specific purpose. They are more effective in dust than they are driving down a clear road. Here are some pics taken with a galaxy s7. I'll get some dust pics when I do my next night ride. I'll try to get a better camera also. The best option is to go with the Rigid amber drives. P/N 502323. They are pod lights. Here are my pics.
LRM_EXPORT_509563061686576_20180912_211502525.jpeg
LRM_EXPORT_509569661089802_20180912_211509124.jpeg
LRM_EXPORT_20180816_222545.jpg

I've seen tons of options. We tested our lights with clear lens/amber bulb, amber lens/white bulb, amber lens/amber bulb. We found that the best and most effective option is the clear lens/amber bulb. The amber bulb gives you a much richer color, making it more effective in bad conditions than a brighter yellow. Not saying the yellow doesnt work. Have to remember amber lights are used for a specific purpose. They are more effective in dust than they are driving down a clear road. Here are some pics taken with a galaxy s7. I'll get some dust pics when I do my next night ride. I'll try to get a better camera also. The best option is to go with the Rigid amber drives. P/N 502323. They are pod lights. Here are my pics.
LRM_EXPORT_509563061686576_20180912_211502525.jpeg
LRM_EXPORT_509569661089802_20180912_211509124.jpeg
LRM_EXPORT_20180816_222545.jpg
Cant wait to test out what RIGID is doing soon!

Who has them let’s see them and any added benefit to having them?

Yellow light will cut fog and dust snow etc.. the best and is far less stressful on your eyes , much longer wavelength compared to amber

Last edited:
I just have some yellow bulbs off amazon for like $15, but they contrast really well in snow and in fog even though they are pretty low powered, eventually I’ll buy Baja pods for the foglights
69F2C5CB-1856-4F51-BFF2-82BC71CB6EE1.jpeg

The yellow is also great as a chase light or to keep on when behind other trucks on the trail without blinding them. We couldn't see shit last weekend (with the dust) and the people with yellow lights in the front or rear of the trucks kept us alive, lol.

Rigid just released their new SAE Street Legal Yellow Fog Lights. You are able to run these on the road and off the road. I really like these lights. The fog mount we use give the truck a rugged off road feel to the lights. When I was using my offroad Ambers I would always be blinding people and getting flashed. These lights are designed to keep the beam low and put the light right where you want it without blinding on coming traffic. The low beam helps with dust because there is no waist "spill" shinning up and reflecting back into your eyes. DM or hit me up on IG @rigid_at_rigid for any questions.

Rigid just released their new SAE Street Legal Yellow Fog Lights. You are able to run these on the road and off the road. I really like these lights. The fog mount we use give the truck a rugged off road feel to the lights. When I was using my offroad Ambers I would always be blinding people and getting flashed. These lights are designed to keep the beam low and put the light right where you want it without blinding on coming traffic. The low beam helps with dust because there is no waist "spill" shinning up and reflecting back into your eyes. DM or hit me up on IG @rigid_at_rigid for any questions.

FiqGBQcT.jpeg

st 1.jpg
st 2.jpg
SAE is NOT street legal
DOT IS street legal

SAE : is a guide for the quality of the product

DOT : test the product to make sure it is fully complied with transportation law and approve for use in all US roads and highways

Last edited:
SAE is NOT street legal
DOT IS street legal

SAE : is a guide for the quality of the product

DOT : test the product to make sure it is fully complied with transportation law and approve for use in all US roads and highways

I apologize for not being 100% clear. The RIGID SAE/DOT lighting. Here are the actual lenses of the product. Any questions you are welcome to DM.

Back