• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Worrisome sound at full lock only in one direction

Zoey's Taco

4️⃣ Gold
Reaction score
Good morning. A couple nights ago I was doing an illegal U-turn at an intersection. As I was in the middle of it, turning to my left at full lock, my right wheel rolled over a slightly elevated portion of the road. A repeated banging, metal on metal sound commenced till I straightened the wheel slightly. The sound had some ring to it? It also "felt" like some sort of binding. I don't know how to describe it better. I was able to reproduce the sound in a parking lot about 30 minutes later but it didn't repeat the way it did on the road. On the drive home the suspension felt solid and the truck drove, seemingly, as it should.
Yesterday morning, I was able to repeat the sound again on my road in order to investigate its origin, but to much less of a degree and then it refused to happen again. Same sound but with only one less distinct clunk/bang/ring.
Nothing in the suspension is anywhere near anything else. I run:
265/75/16s
bilstein 6112s 4th/5th clips
JBA uca's/these are a new addition
stock wheels

My suspicion is that its the CV somehow. It only happened at full lock rolling over some sort of slightly elevated surface with the right wheel. My boots are pristine as my truck only has 16K. Its been lifted since new.
Any thoughts or consideration would be greatly appreciated.
tempImage9t4Rx1.jpg

Back