• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Winches under a Grand

Buffa

3️⃣ Silver
Reaction score
2020 TRD OR AC Auto
Quicksand
Hey Troops

Looking at putting on a Winch...want to keep it under a Grand as it’s is something I’ll only be using in an Emergency or to haul Log or two. More then likely a Warn or Smittybilt.

Suggestions?

Hey Troops

Looking at putting on a Winch...want to keep it under a Grand as it’s is something I’ll only be using in an Emergency or to haul Log or two. More then likely a Warn or Smittybilt.

Suggestions?
Warn tends to get all the love as far as winches go, and they earned it. They are great winches.

BUT, I’ve only ever heard good things about the less pricey alternatives from Smittybilt. I decided to go with one of these myself, and while I haven’t even used it yet, I know a lot of people with the same one who love it. I really haven’t heard a bad thing about a Warn or a Smitty.

Mine:
Smittybilt (98510) X2O Waterproof Synthetic Rope Winch - 10000 lb. Load Capacity https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K150VAI/?tag=tacoma3g-20

There are weight options and cable options. I think 10,000 lbs is good for these trucks considering it’s not that expensive anyway. Be sure to get synthetic line over the old school cables. They are lighter, safer, easier to handle, and don’t really require maintenance like a cable does (also aren’t prone to weather).

Last edited:
Warn tends to get all the love as far as winches go, and they earned it. They are great winches.

BUT, I’ve only ever heard good things about the less pricey alternatives from Smittybilt. I decided to go with one of these myself, and while I haven’t even used it yet, I know a lot of people with the same one who love it. I really haven’t heard a bad thing about a Warn or a Smitty.

Mine:
Smittybilt (98510) X2O Waterproof Synthetic Rope Winch - 10000 lb. Load Capacity https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K150VAI/?tag=tacoma3g-20

There are weight options and cable options. I think 10,000 lbs is good for these trucks considering it’s not that expensive anyway. Be sure to get synthetic line over the old school cables. They are lighter, safer, easier to handle, and don’t really require maintenance like a cable does (also aren’t prone to weather).

LOL...that’s the Smittyblit I was looking at! Thanks.

I second what Tyler said. All my buddies run smitties and never had an issue.

Ok guys so here is a question I need answered. I recieved this 24v 12,000lb winch a few years back. Brand new never used, paid zero for it. I was given two of them, the other I sold. My question is can I turn this into a 12v and take off the cable and put a synthetic line on it, mostly rated for my tacoma. And try to shave weight on it? If not I guess only option is to sell it and move on.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200328-093037_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20200328-093037_Drive.jpg
    310.7 KB · Views: 70
If anyone needs a Smitty or Warn I can try to help you out through YotaMafia. Sometimes we get deals. Sometimes we don’t. Name of the game.

the new Smitty x20’s are great winches.

I'm running the smittybilt great winch and nice with the wireless remote feature. Had a little too much to drink and I'm rocking the 12k by accident lol

Back