• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Why did you choose the Tacoma?

My 2018 JLUR with 37’s, lots of goodies, lots of fun, decided to start rusting the door hinges and hood. That plus heading to the dealership about every 2-3 months for “warranty issues” was driving me bananas.
Honestly, the JLUR was the perfectly designed vehicle for yours truly—but the unreliability really sucked, and an upcoming move puts me needing a truck. Put a local Jeep-Toyota dealership combo in my vicinity, good trade in value plus a bit off the trd pro and boom, new 2020 taco sitting in my driveway.
449BB825-7CAA-4EBD-89B0-6D23A6182712.jpeg
6E72475A-EEC5-4E21-821B-DC5D664690F3.jpeg

This is a neat thread--pretty cool to see the varied sentiments, happenstance, and logic that arrives us all at the same end goal. Respect to all the different roads, so to speak, that led us to our trucks. I landed on my Tacoma in the same manner as many of you, process of elimination, a mixture of conscious and subconscious of inspiration, and a sprinkle of serendipity. Here's the Tarantino version of it:

Winter 2015, I was heading up to Vermont (for a little shredding of the gnar) via route 100 in southern Vermont right by the Jacksonville Country Store. Parked in front of what is now that cheese shop was a clean looking lifted blue 2nd gen, probably on 35's if my memory of proportions serves. As I rolled by, I thought to myself, 'huh.' At the time I was driving a 5 speed '03 Corolla, happy as a clam.

When we all first started driving (around '05, to date myself), my buddy owned a series of 1st gen Tacomas. His were MT, had stupid amounts of rake, and one of my fondest memories in one was sitting in the bed while he ripped donuts in the middle of a nor'easter in an intersection of a local turnpike. Dumb and limb threatening? Without question. Memorable? Undoubtedly.

Fast forward to early 2017. My kid brother was getting close to 16 years old, and as I was incredibly fortunate to be gifted my first vehicle ('71 AMC Hornet--FUN!) I thought the right karmic thing would be to pass on my corolla to him. But what to replace it with?

I had been working in my 'big boy' job for a few years, and had put away a good amount to put a substantial down payment on a vehicle. I knew that I wanted three things: a new(er) vehicle that I would drive for the foreseeable future (thus would need to grow into as life stuff happened), manual transmission (more fun and engaging that AT, no disrespect to the two pedal folks) and four wheel drive (New England winters). That limited things a bit. Basically my options were a Mini Cooper, a Wrangler, a Tacoma, and Subie.

I kept building this Mini JCW Countryman online, but it just didn't feel right. Then one day that aforementioned Vermont 'huh' popped back into my head. My buddies have always owned pickups, I was now a homeowner, and could use the utility, plus I knew from experience how reliable my Corolla had been. Weeks of online research, reviews, building and I thought: I think I'll see what the truck life craze is all about.

I walked into the dealership on a Thursday just to test drive. The moment I closed the truck door I knew. Hadn't even turned the damn thing on. Felt like Sully joining those hair tentacles with Toruk Makto, if y'all catch my drift. Bob stillman at Toyota of Colchester, if you're still around brother, I owe you a debt of gratitude. That man spent weeks tracking down the exact spec'd '17 Tacoma I was looking for, and found one fresh off the line down in Texas. Every day driving this truck had been my favorite day driving it.

I had no intention to modify, off-road, or camp with the truck, but late spring 2018, armed with a Smittybilt RTT on some KB Voodoo cross bars, I took a 21 day cross country trip, hit about 12 national parks and a reggae festival in Monterey. One of the best trips of my life--but that's a story for another thread.

Thanks for reading, and Viva la Tacoma!
-Joel

Last edited:
The Tacoma is the only new vehicle that checks all my boxes:

- Manual transmission
- High aftermarket support
- Reliability
- Has rear seats
- Off-road capable
- Enough towing capacity to tow my sports car (S2000) to the race track

I was looking at getting a sports sedan/hatchback (Lancer Evolution, Civic Type-R), but then I decided I want something brand new and I want a truck as it makes my life easier. It's also a nice change of pace. I really enjoy off-roading my Tacoma and using my Tacoma to haul and tow my sports car to the track, and now I know once I own a truck, I will prefer to always have a truck.

Have had:
Ford AT, Chevy AT, Toyota Gen1 L4 5MT and a Nissan Hardbody V6/5 MT.....all 4x4's

Now have (still):
Chevy AT, Jeep AT both 4X4,.... Chevy is good road warrior not so fun; Jeep is fun but no road warrior.

ADD;
Tacoma V6 MT6 4X4 and it fills all the slots!
First draw was like most,
.... used was 85% of new cost (no brainer there), re-sale is awesome (will never happen).

Great looking, drives very well, have 1 wife and 2 "Dogs" so everything simply fits.

When you see a lot of Tacoma's on the roadway but very few on the dealer lots,... that speaks for itself as well.

Back