Truck Grade
SR5
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
#2,122
Hello all! I want to get feedback from you guys to see why you chose the Tacoma for your platform to base your build off of.

I’m looking to hear from you guys to see why you did. Keep it civil, I come from the Jeep world so I know there’s a lot of 3rd leg swingers out there with measuring tapes.

* I honestly chose to buy my Tacoma, partially because a good buddy of mine has one and has always talked about it’s reliability. Also, when I watched Jerry Rig Everything’s new vehicle purchase on YouTube ? loved everything about the looks of the truck.

I’ve had built Wranglers, tons of Cherokee’s (some daily’s most were crawlers on a trailer) and while they all do well, there was never enough room to carry building materials. My occupation is a production manager so I am always carrying material. It is very hard to do so in an suv (I’ve tried, it’s rough). So, while talking to my buddy he mentioned his neighbor had one he just sold and lost only $700 of his original purchase price 2 years later. I was shocked. One thing led to another, I stopped one weekend to look at the dealership, made a few calls, the next weekend I drove home in my new one.

I have loved it ever since. I’ve taken it offroad for a few times completely stock, it did fine for what it was at that time. It does great on the hwy, mpg is excellent for what it is as well. Completely happy.

So tell me your stories and what made you buy a Tacoma.

I was happy to take mine off the showroom floor!

D68E92D5-5640-4C2F-AD0C-A702F75FD746.jpeg

hallux

✓ • Gold
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Das Big Toe
T3G Member
#1,649
Reliability.
Resale Value.
Amount I got for my trade in.

Truthfully I wanted a Platinum Tundra, in fact I may still get that in a few years however I do like the Tacoma right now. I wish mods were a little cheaper but hey, can't have it all my way!

Tacomadad18

✓ • Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Color
Barcelona Red
Truck Grade
SR5
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
#2,122
Reliability.
Resale Value.
Amount I got for my trade in.

Truthfully I wanted a Platinum Tundra, in fact I may still get that in a few years however I do like the Tacoma right now. I wish mods were a little cheaper but hey, can't have it all my way!

Ain’t that the truth lol. I did forget to mention the trade in amount I got, is was unbelievable. $1000 under what I owed and they put it on the lot for what I owed on it. Was super surprised about that. Reliability was a huge factor in my decision. I had a 2012 silverado with no rust but man I checked it weekly to make sure none was coming through the bed sides lol. Not to mention the transmission sounded like a paper clip in a tin can, was afraid it would leave me stranded with a huge bill.

hallux

✓ • Gold
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Das Big Toe
T3G Member
#1,649
Ain’t that the truth lol. I did forget to mention the trade in amount I got, is was unbelievable. $1000 under what I owed and they put it on the lot for what I owed on it. Was super surprised about that. Reliability was a huge factor in my decision. I had a 2012 silverado with no rust but man I checked it weekly to make sure none was coming through the bed sides lol. Not to mention the transmission sounded like a paper clip in a tin can, was afraid it would leave me stranded with a huge bill.

Had a 2006 Silverado, regular cab w/ the v8. Rust coming through the wheel wells and rear bumper. Aside from that and the fact I was sick of chasing electrical gremlins... I got $6,800 for a trade in so it was either I sign on the dotted line or never get that offer again.

Tacomadad18

✓ • Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Color
Barcelona Red
Truck Grade
SR5
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
#2,122
Had a 2006 Silverado, regular cab w/ the v8. Rust coming through the wheel wells and rear bumper. Aside from that and the fact I was sick of chasing electrical gremlins... I got $6,800 for a trade in so it was either I sign on the dotted line or never get that offer again.

Well it was a good choice on both our part lol ? I know I’m happy with the switch

Last edited:

taco_triggs

✓ • Bronze
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Color
Cement
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Long Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
#1,974
Im a Toyota industrial equipment field service tech, so I know how toyota designs their products. That and the reliability they’re known for was enough for me. Last vehicle I owned was a mazdaspeed3, which I switched to e85 and did just about all mods that could be done. Eventually got tired of cringing over every bump, getting tickets & not having any real use for it. I ride dirt bikes, surf, snowboard and am always outdoors. The practicality of my Tacoma puts a smile on my face every drive, 4k miles so far ???
-Triggs

Tacomadad18

✓ • Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Color
Barcelona Red
Truck Grade
SR5
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
#2,122
Im a Toyota industrial equipment field service tech, so I know how toyota designs their products. That and the reliability they’re known for was enough for me. Last vehicle I owned was a mazdaspeed3, which I switched to e85 and did just about all mods that could be done. Eventually got tired of cringing over every bump, getting tickets & not having any real use for it. I ride dirt bikes, surf, snowboard and am always outdoors. The practicality of my Tacoma puts a smile on my face every drive, 4k miles so far ???
-Triggs

Excellent reason to have a Tacoma!

Resqu2

✓ • Bronze
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Rick
T3G Member
#2,573
Saw it sitting on a showroom floor, shiny and beautiful and that was all it took. I came from a full size Silverado and did look at the new Colorado but we both ended up liking the Taco a lot better.

Mr. Nobody

✓ • Connoisseur
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Authorized VF Tuner
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
Truck Color
Quicksand
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Long Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
We had been driving mostly VW's for years prior to the Tacoma. We'd done numerous long road trips on all of them and had a great time but always were incapable of accessing some areas we really wanted to see. We were always limited by clearance, , tire size and lack of 4wd. When the whole Dieselgate scandal broke we were put in the unplanned situation of having to buy another vehicle. The whole scandal left us in a pretty good spot financially and in our research of different cars and trucks we both realized we had been wanting a Tacoma for a long time. We always talked about buying something we could travel in further and better than we ever had. We took a chance and went with something different than our norm and I think it's worked out pretty well.

Tacomadad18

✓ • Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Color
Barcelona Red
Truck Grade
SR5
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
#2,122
Saw it sitting on a showroom floor, shiny and beautiful and that was all it took. I came from a full size Silverado and did look at the new Colorado but we both ended up liking the Taco a lot better.

Same here man, I got a job where I wasn't constantly hauling something so no need for the big truck. Looked a jeeps, been there done that, and the Taco was so good looking.

Them showroom floors will get ya.

Tacomadad18

✓ • Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Color
Barcelona Red
Truck Grade
SR5
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
#2,122
We had been driving mostly VW's for years prior to the Tacoma. We'd done numerous long road trips on all of them and had a great time but always were incapable of accessing some areas we really wanted to see. We were always limited by clearance, , tire size and lack of 4wd. When the whole Dieselgate scandal broke we were put in the unplanned situation of having to buy another vehicle. The whole scandal left us in a pretty good spot financially and in our research of different cars and trucks we both realized we had been wanting a Tacoma for a long time. We always talked about buying something we could travel in further and better than we ever had. We took a chance and went with something different than our norm and I think it's worked out pretty well.

Well that is good that you came out good from that whole mess, and judging by all your content I think you did make a very good choice!

Mr. Nobody

✓ • Connoisseur
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Authorized VF Tuner
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
Truck Color
Quicksand
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Long Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
Well that is good that you came out good from that whole mess, and judging by all your content I think you did make a very good choice!

We definitely came out on top. It was an ordeal to go through but it turned into a good thing.

And thank you for the compliment. ?

gene158

✓ • Silver
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Gene
Truck Year
Truck Color
Silver Sky
Truck Grade
Sport
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
#1,884
I need a truck to haul my bikes around. Until recently, I had a 2012 civic si as my daily driver and a 2002 mazda b3000 as my bike hauler. I had that truck for about 10 years and it was pretty shot so I knew it was time for a new vehicle. As much as I love cars, I knew the most practical choice was to sell the truck and car and just buy a new truck. Part of me really wanted a silverado but only a 1/4 ton truck will fit in my garage and since I prefer to keep it in the garage, I ruled out 1/2 ton trucks. I've known for a while I wanted a tacoma because #1 it's a toyota tacoma so there's no question it's reliable. #2 It looks way better than any other 1/4 ton truck out there. The new s10 zr2 looks pretty nice but it's overpriced and really it comes down to the fact that the tacoma is and has been the best 1/4 ton truck on the market.