• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Why did you choose the Tacoma?

I remember when it hit me. I was a proud owner of an 04 Chevy Silverado. It was my baby, had it laid out on 24s. It was basically a car. Never saw dirt and was clean all the time.

I always liked the look of lifted Tacomas and the 3rd gen was the best yet. One day out of the blue I went to the Pomona Fairplex Off Road Show with some buddy’s and we passed by the total chaos booth. There it was the baddest Tacoma I had ever laid my eye on. I told my buddies right there on the spot this will be my next vehicle.

Two months later my transmission failed on the Chevy 150k+ Miles and 14 years It was a sign from the car gods. I was able to limp it to carmax after swapping the rims and parting out all I could. They gave me $2k for My truck of 14 years and I sold all the parts and wheels for another $2k

Made my way to the Toyota dealership and the rest is history on my build page! Best decision! Especially, being a snowboarder and outdoor enthusiast the truck I had didnt really fit my lifestyle.

So, Tacoma for the win!

Tacoma checked all the boxes for me.
-Moderate towing and payload capability for utility purposes, given its size.
-Offroad capability
-Size is perfect for my needs I.e. wheelbase and track width (very important)
-And, Toyotas reputation for longevity was very enticing. I'm more of a "drive it til the wheels fall off" kind if guy. Hope it lives up to the hype.
-Space for hauling junk
-And looks. I think Tacomas are some of the best looking trucks, and I feel its due to how well its proportions are balanced.
-The color matches my coffee (creamer, no sugar) This is a F'n deal breaker, no wiggle room!!!!!

It was between this or a JK. The JK did not check all the boxes for me.

Is the Tacoma perfect? No, it's kind of a pig, the seats suck, and the departure angle blows (my rear bumper plays witness to this). However, it serves my specific needs very well, well enough that I can overlook the things I don't like.
I should note that I've always been a pretty avid fan of squarebody GM's and Jeep products, still am........I just Like Toyotas now.

Tacoma checked all the boxes for me.
-Moderate towing and payload capability for utility purposes, given its size.
-Offroad capability
-Size is perfect for my needs I.e. wheelbase and track width (very important)
-And, Toyotas reputation for longevity was very enticing. I'm more of a "drive it til the wheels fall off" kind if guy. Hope it lives up to the hype.
-Space for hauling junk
-And looks. I think Tacomas are some of the best looking trucks, and I feel its due to how well its proportions are balanced.
-The color matches my coffee (creamer, no sugar) This is a F'n deal breaker, no wiggle room!!!!!

It was between this or a JK. The JK did not check all the boxes for me.

Is the Tacoma perfect? No, it's kind of a pig, the seats suck, and the departure angle blows (my rear bumper plays witness to this). However, it serves my specific needs very well, well enough that I can overlook the things I don't like.
I should note that I've always been a pretty avid fan of squarebody GM's and Jeep products, still am........I just Like Toyotas now.
We have a lot in common! I too think the Tacoma is the best looking truck of the mid-sized category (and even including the new full-sized trucks, I think the Tacoma is the best looking). The Colorado and new Ranger are hideous car/van looking things, and the all of the half ton and heavier trucks are ugly now too, except for maybe the Ram.

I almost bought a JK when I bought my Tacoma. My wife has one and I was planning to get myself one and build the ultimate rock crawler. Needless to say, I'm glad I went with a Tacoma.

I'm also a die-hard squarebody enthusiast and have had two so far, my current one being a 1986 CUCV M1008. My dream truck is to find a K30 3+3 (crew cab), single rear wheel, keep it clean and close to stock, and have it forever. Eventually I'll find a candidate for that build.

We have a lot in common! I too think the Tacoma is the best looking truck of the mid-sized category (and even including the new full-sized trucks, I think the Tacoma is the best looking). The Colorado and new Ranger are hideous car/van looking things, and the all of the half ton and heavier trucks are ugly now too, except for maybe the Ram.

I almost bought a JK when I bought my Tacoma. My wife has one and I was planning to get myself one and build the ultimate rock crawler. Needless to say, I'm glad I went with a Tacoma.

I'm also a die-hard squarebody enthusiast and have had two so far, my current one being a 1986 CUCV M1008. My dream truck is to find a K30 3+3 (crew cab), single rear wheel, keep it clean and close to stock, and have it forever. Eventually I'll find a candidate for that build.

Crew cab K30...........yum. The m1008 is a pretty solid choice, also. Kudos on both!!

I have a 76 Jimmy in the garage, it was my DD trail beater for a long time. It's about ready for a resurrection.

Crew cab K30...........yum. The m1008 is a pretty solid choice, also. Kudos on both!!

I have a 76 Jimmy in the garage, it was my DD trail beater for a long time. It's about ready for a resurrection.
Round-eye front end! I want my crew cab to be a round-eye as well.

Round-eye front end! I want my crew cab to be a round-eye as well.
Screenshot_2018-08-03-12-56-07-01.jpeg

Last time I took the beater out. Been in the garage since

I actually had a 2018 JL Wrangler that I had built up pretty good. Only problem is Jeeps are pieces of shit. I had Issues in less than 17k miles. Instrument Cluster Died, my batter charging system for the 2nd battery went out. Start Stop stopped working. THe handeling on the road SUCKED ASS.

I also just needed a truck bed As well.

Here’s my Blog I’m starting up. https://www.overlandz.com/the-new-adventure-rig/

I've been a Ford guy all my life, but I was looking for something with a good reputation and higher resale value.
The number one reason that tipped me towards the Tacoma, in 2019, it was the only mid size with a 6 foot bed.
Sure it's not perfect but in my opinion it's the closest to perfect of all the mid size trucks.
Not one regret

lol @Jesse Rizo liking my post hahah pretty sure your videos contributed to this mess :D

In all seriousness though, here's how I ended up on a Tacoma:
I had sports cars in high school, college and beyond. Then I needed something I could get to and from the marina in with rods, tackle and heavy gear. Jeeps are popular here so I got a 4 door JK Rubicon. Wheels, tires, suspension, winch, lights went on it like legos. After 7 years with the Jeep though I realized that I'm using the cargo space in my jeep like a truck... and its short on space when I really need it. So now with home repairs and maintenance to do, my family and I needed a truck. Raptors are everywhere here and I like personalizing the vehicles I buy so enter the Taco :) Once I started browsing around for build ideas I couldn't see any other truck in my head. Originally I thought I would be building an overland style build because I want the overland capability, but what I like design wise looks more like a baja truck so my build will end up somewhere in the middle of that.

The whole truck is coming together in the next 4 weeks. I'll put pics up when we get it finished up.

lol @Jesse Rizo liking my post hahah pretty sure your videos contributed to this mess :D

In all seriousness though, here's how I ended up on a Tacoma:
I had sports cars in high school, college and beyond. Then I needed something I could get to and from the marina in with rods, tackle and heavy gear. Jeeps are popular here so I got a 4 door JK Rubicon. Wheels, tires, suspension, winch, lights went on it like legos. After 7 years with the Jeep though I realized that I'm using the cargo space in my jeep like a truck... and its short on space when I really need it. So now with home repairs and maintenance to do, my family and I needed a truck. Raptors are everywhere here and I like personalizing the vehicles I buy so enter the Taco :) Once I started browsing around for build ideas I couldn't see any other truck in my head. Originally I thought I would be building an overland style build because I want the overland capability, but what I like design wise looks more like a baja truck so my build will end up somewhere in the middle of that.

The whole truck is coming together in the next 4 weeks. I'll put pics up when we get it finished up.
I was about to say put some pics up lol but then read your last sentence hahah but that’s a great story behind it :)!!! Can’t wait to see ur truck

I was about to say put some pics up lol but then read your last sentence hahah but that’s a great story behind it :)!!! Can’t wait to see ur truck

I'll definitely get the build thread together when I have some more to show. It's coming out the vinyl shop this week and next week I suspension is going on, then wheel and tire fitment. Gonna be sweet. I'll tag all the vendors and content creators that helped me get here :)

I actually had a 2018 JL Wrangler that I had built up pretty good. Only problem is Jeeps are pieces of shit. I had Issues in less than 17k miles. Instrument Cluster Died, my batter charging system for the 2nd battery went out. Start Stop stopped working. THe handeling on the road SUCKED ASS.

I also just needed a truck bed As well.

Here’s my Blog I’m starting up. https://www.overlandz.com/the-new-adventure-rig/
I like the minimalist design you used for the blog.

Was looking to buy a 2012 tacoma from a buddy of mine, 3 inch lift with 33s and it was a nice truck, I previously owned a Trd FJ cruiser and honestly did not like it too much, felt better in the truck and when the 3rd gen came out it looked so sweet. Then after a few years went by the cement color came to the trd off road so i just had to pull the trigger, 2 years later now and I have loved every second of it!

My initial inspiration was Last Line of Defense on YouTube. I really liked his rig setup, and starting doing research into the Tacoma. I was blown away by the customizability, simplicity and appearance. Then... my car's radiator took a crap, and being the donkey I am, I wanted to fix it myself. Rented an F150, which was amazing, but was honestly too much truck for what I needed and wanted to do. Fixed the radiator a month later because it was too cold to do it in my driveway, and traded it off borderline impulsively because I needed something more reliable.

I bought through Carvana, which was honestly super simple and user friendly. I fell in love when they unloaded it into my driveway and the rest is history.

I spec’d out my dream Raptor with a friend of mine who’s got a dealers license and specializes in custom orders. Order was placed through Ford Fleet as a deal sealer on a transit order of 14 vans. Because it was through fleet, I was getting it 20% below MSRP - so about $60K. 2020 Raptor, white, blue alcantara seats, 802A, graphics, moonroof, bed step, he even got Ford to install the unreleased Sync 4 system for me.

3 weeks into production I start thinking about life with an $85,000 truck. I realized that just because I could afford it - doesn’t mean I should afford it. I realized I would never want to do any truck things in the Raptor because at the end of the day - I’m not rich enough to not care how nice it was. I’d be too damn stressed out all the time.

I was always between the Raptor and the Tacoma TRD Pro for 2 reasons: Resale value, and I think the Tundra is fuck ugly. Both of them have the best resale value of any truck on the planet, both of them can be sold above MSRP off the lot, both of them are sold above MSRP on the lot, and both of them are considered “special vehicles” and dealership quantities are throttled.

I called my buddy and told him I’m not going to take delivery on the Raptor, which of course he was cool with because he had a few buyers in So-Cal that would pay well over $100K for it. Makes him $40k plus 5%.

That week I stumbled upon the Pro I got after breakfast one day just looking. It had been under contract a day prior but the buyer backed out for whatever reason so she was ready to go and no one knew it was still on the lot. I was pretty set on white so the salesman asked me what it would take for me to drive off the lot with it. I wrote a deal that I swore they wouldn’t be able to do. I chose the price, rate, down payment, term length and warranty period. Homeboy made it happen. I couldn’t believe it. I took the deal because only an idiot wouldn’t.

I didn’t get white but it’s all good - this MGM has grown on me like crazy.

My initial inspiration was Last Line of Defense on YouTube. I really liked his rig setup, and starting doing research into the Tacoma. I was blown away by the customizability, simplicity and appearance. Then... my car's radiator took a crap, and being the donkey I am, I wanted to fix it myself. Rented an F150, which was amazing, but was honestly too much truck for what I needed and wanted to do. Fixed the radiator a month later because it was too cold to do it in my driveway, and traded it off borderline impulsively because I needed something more reliable.

I bought through Carvana, which was honestly super simple and user friendly. I fell in love when they unloaded it into my driveway and the rest is history.

I dig LLOD. Been following him for years, even have one of his IWB holsters for my G19.

I dig LLOD. Been following him for years, even have one of his IWB holsters for my G19.

He's another reason that my girlfriend is gonna divorce me before we're even married.... The pros and cons of being a geardo. ?

I spec’d out my dream Raptor with a friend of mine who’s got a dealers license and specializes in custom orders. Order was placed through Ford Fleet as a deal sealer on a transit order of 14 vans. Because it was through fleet, I was getting it 20% below MSRP - so about $60K. 2020 Raptor, white, blue alcantara seats, 802A, graphics, moonroof, bed step, he even got Ford to install the unreleased Sync 4 system for me.

3 weeks into production I start thinking about life with an $85,000 truck. I realized that just because I could afford it - doesn’t mean I should afford it. I realized I would never want to do any truck things in the Raptor because at the end of the day - I’m not rich enough to not care how nice it was. I’d be too damn stressed out all the time.

I was always between the Raptor and the Tacoma TRD Pro for 2 reasons: Resale value, and I think the Tundra is fuck ugly. Both of them have the best resale value of any truck on the planet, both of them can be sold above MSRP off the lot, both of them are sold above MSRP on the lot, and both of them are considered “special vehicles” and dealership quantities are throttled.

I called my buddy and told him I’m not going to take delivery on the Raptor, which of course he was cool with because he had a few buyers in So-Cal that would pay well over $100K for it. Makes him $40k plus 5%.

That week I stumbled upon the Pro I got after breakfast one day just looking. It had been under contract a day prior but the buyer backed out for whatever reason so she was ready to go and no one knew it was still on the lot. I was pretty set on white so the salesman asked me what it would take for me to drive off the lot with it. I wrote a deal that I swore they wouldn’t be able to do. I chose the price, rate, down payment, term length and warranty period. Homeboy made it happen. I couldn’t believe it. I took the deal because only an idiot wouldn’t.

I didn’t get white but it’s all good - this MGM has grown on me like crazy.
Good story, and I can respect the decision with the Raptor. I know what it feels like to make a bittersweet choice, so to speak. Similarly, the night I got home with my Tacoma, I fueled my body with regret because it didn't have the sunroof and I felt like I "settled" on the wrong truck. You probably would've felt that way with the Raptor. Of course, now I don't care about the sunroof anymore (and the color matched rear bumper I would've had doesn't mater either because of my high clearance bumper), but it was a thing that pissed me off for a few days, lol.

I've always been drawn to the Tacoma from the moment they came out in the mid 90s. My dad had been in the market for a truck for a couple of years and he finally pulled the trigger on a 1995.5 model - Black extended cab LX 4x4 auto with the 2.7L 4 cyl. It was one of the first ones people saw in our small town so it turned a lot of heads. My dad passed away a couple of years later and the truck sat for a little while and ultimately became my older brother's first truck. When it came time for me to start driving, I knew I had to have one as well so I ended up with a white 1998 SR5 V6 4x4 extended cab. I'd eventually get a 2001 TRD offroad and drove it for a decade before switching to an F150. I still have the F150 and it's been a great truck, but I just don't feel the connection to a Ford that I do a Tacoma. When I test drove my 2020, while being a modern pickup it still had that Tacoma feel I remember from growing up with the three first gens I was around. It was only a matter of time before I got back into another.

Hello all! I want to get feedback from you guys to see why you chose the Tacoma for your platform to base your build off of.

I’m looking to hear from you guys to see why you did. Keep it civil, I come from the Jeep world so I know there’s a lot of 3rd leg swingers out there with measuring tapes.

* I honestly chose to buy my Tacoma, partially because a good buddy of mine has one and has always talked about it’s reliability. Also, when I watched Jerry Rig Everything’s new vehicle purchase on YouTube ? loved everything about the looks of the truck.

I’ve had built Wranglers, tons of Cherokee’s (some daily’s most were crawlers on a trailer) and while they all do well, there was never enough room to carry building materials. My occupation is a production manager so I am always carrying material. It is very hard to do so in an suv (I’ve tried, it’s rough). So, while talking to my buddy he mentioned his neighbor had one he just sold and lost only $700 of his original purchase price 2 years later. I was shocked. One thing led to another, I stopped one weekend to look at the dealership, made a few calls, the next weekend I drove home in my new one.

I have loved it ever since. I’ve taken it offroad for a few times completely stock, it did fine for what it was at that time. It does great on the hwy, mpg is excellent for what it is as well. Completely happy.

So tell me your stories and what made you buy a Tacoma.

I was happy to take mine off the showroom floor!

D68E92D5-5640-4C2F-AD0C-A702F75FD746.jpeg
Gorgeous!
I bought mine for several reasons. Practicality, fun, looks, potential resale value if I decide to ever part with it. I used to have a Jeep Wrangler, and I miss it all the time, for the fun factor. It's an awesome vehicle for these parts. But the Tacoma fit me better as a daily driver that I can also have some fun with. I'm really looking forward to what I can do with it!

We just made the jump to the Truck for more room, that’s about it. But, we went with the Tacoma because there’s nothing more reliable and better looking! When you can’t fit it all in a Jeep, you buy a Tacoma, it’s like a rule!?

Attachments

• DFE64E7D-5E08-4689-A361-C3D92DB3BF17.jpeg
    DFE64E7D-5E08-4689-A361-C3D92DB3BF17.jpeg
    577.5 KB · Views: 64
Back