• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Whirring sound from Trans/Transfer Case?

2socks

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,

I love my 2016 TRD Sport 4x4 Long Bed but have an issue i'm looking for some help on.

One morning when putting it into reverse it was louder than usual. It was approx 25 degrees F. Then I noticed a new sound coming from the front while in 4wd high. If it is switched to 2wd it goes away. It's a whirring that corrsponds to a vibration in the gas pedal and sometimes can be felt in the floor. It's relatively consistent but can be loud or quiet. Disengaging 4wd has also gotten much louder and can shake the entire truck violently.
It's generally around 40-45mph.
57,000 miles.

The dealer said they couldn't hear the sound but when i went for a ride with them they admitted to the vibration. It was windy and high traffic so it was hard to hear the sound consistently.

I am taking the truck in again next week for a more thorough inspection and hope for a fix. It is still under warranty. The truck sees no offroading and only a small amount of light towing.

Anyone else experience anything like this? Any info going into dealership round 2 would be VERY MUCH appreciated!
Hope to keep enjoying my tacoma for many more years.

Thanks!
Jim

Hey guys and gals,

I love my 2016 TRD Sport 4x4 Long Bed but have an issue i'm looking for some help on.

One morning when putting it into reverse it was louder than usual. It was approx 25 degrees F. Then I noticed a new sound coming from the front while in 4wd high. If it is switched to 2wd it goes away. It's a whirring that corrsponds to a vibration in the gas pedal and sometimes can be felt in the floor. It's relatively consistent but can be loud or quiet. Disengaging 4wd has also gotten much louder and can shake the entire truck violently.
57,000 miles.

The dealer said they couldn't hear the sound but when i went for a ride with them they admitted to the vibration. It was windy and high traffic so it was hard to hear the sound consistently.

I am taking the truck in again next week for a more thorough inspection and hope for a fix. It is still under warranty. The truck sees no offroading and only a small amount of light towing.

Anyone else experience anything like this? Any info going into dealership round 2 would be VERY MUCH appreciated!

Thanks!
Jim
I experience the sound i believe youre referring to when i am in 4LO and driving offroad, which is generally normal for the sound to happen when i 4wd, however adding vibration i dont believe that is normal. I think youre right to have them try and diagnose it as it would be a shame if you burned up your T-case.

Upvote 0
Hey guys and gals,

57,000 miles.

Thanks!
Jim
What'd done to your truck or is it bone stock

Upvote 0
Bone stock.
Loud noise in reverse I'd check ubolts ,
also the lca bolts, could also check your brakes if it has 2 spring clips or one

"whirling and vibrstions" when 4wd engaged I'd first have the bushing checked for the cv,

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The sound you're describing under the circumstances describe the clamshell bushing. The only strange thing is they suddenly usually only go once the truck had been lifted, and your stock.

Is the noise predominantly on one side of the truck?

Upvote 0
The sound you're describing under the circumstances describe the clamshell bushing. The only strange thing is they suddenly usually only go once the truck had been lifted, and your stock.

Is the noise predominantly on one side of the truck?

It seems to be more on the drivers side. The vibration is stronger and the sound easier to hear.

EDIT: Reading up on the clamshell that might make sense since it seems to correlate more to speed than rpm.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It seems to be more on the drivers side. The vibration is stronger and the sound easier to hear.

EDIT: Reading up on the clamshell that might make sense since it seems to correlate more to speed than rpm.

The big things with the clamshell are that the nose comes from the drivers side, is present when 4wd is engaged and changes pitch in sounds with the does of the vehicle.

You can Google clamshell bushing, or ECGS clamshell bushing for more info. ?

Upvote 0
Went to dealer and finally got them to open up the front diff. Holy smokes. Oil was black and watery. I've never seen something like that. I don't go offroading or swimming with the truck. Seems bonkers that the gear oil can go that back that soon.

Upvote 0
What did they find inside? Aside from dirty fluid. Anything that may be causing your issues??

Upvote 0
Dirty black fluid, lots of water. No metallic chunks though. Said i must be off-roading which i don't. The truck stays mostly on paved roads and transports car parts.
The vibration though is much better but still there. It was worse when cold which makes sense, so if it continues to persist i'll push to have them replace the diff.
I'm pretty blown away by this. If what that trucks been through, basically puddles, is enough to fill up the front diff there's something fundamentally funky going on.

Upvote 0
Oh wow, so you weren't kidding about the watery comment. I thought you were just being descriptive. Very strange. Are they going to replace the diff? Are you under an extended warranty?

Upvote 0
Back