• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

4th Gen Tacoma Which Trim to buy

SilverBullet3g

3️⃣ Silver
Reaction score
2017 Sport DCSB Auto
Silver Sky
So I recently sold my 3rd gen (2017) back in late April of 22. Traded it on a Chevy.

Since then I’ve started a new job where they gave me a 2022 TSS Tacoma as a work truck, and it’s pretty much stock with a leveling kit up front and ATs.

So my Chevy has literally been sitting in my yard for a month cause I drive the work truck even when I go home for the weekend. So I figured why not pay a note on something that won’t depreciate hardly.

And now I’m able to drive my work truck everywhere and not even pay for gas.

It rides like a charm.

The whole reason I traded mine was cause it rode like hell.

Anyhow, I’m thinking of getting a 2022 Tacoma. And I’m not sure if I wanna get a TRD Off Road or a TRD PRO.

From what I can tell, a TRD off road is kinda like chevys Z71/trail boss.

Comes with Fox or Bilstein shocks but not leather seats.

Whereas the Pro I think comes with both.
And it’s kinda like a high country.

Or would it be better to just buy a SR5 and put all those upgrades on myself. (Shocks, leather seats, 3” lift, 33s, regear).

Seems like I’d save money buy buying the base model right?

Or is it just worth it to get the off road or pro package?

Depends on how deep into modifying the truck you want to go and how important creature comforts are to you. If you dont plan on tearing out and replacing the suspension and like having interior/tech upgrades go for the Pro. If you want to add a suspension upgrade and still want some tech get the TRD Off road. The TRDOR also has a factory locker. I went in knowing tech and convenience packages weren't very important to me after driving a F250 XL work truck for 10 years with no CD player, hand crank windows, and rubber floors. Plus I planned on gutting the Tacoma and upgrading a lot. So I opted for an SR trim wich was still way more comfy than my previous truck. My only regret now is that I was unaware the SR and SR5 have a smaller rear end. Had I known I would have gone with the TRD Off Road just to have the 8.75in rear. Just decide what you plan on doing to/with the truck and you'll know pretty quick which trim fits you best.

Ok. I’m thinking, basic shocks, like Bilstein with a leveling kit and the biggest tires I can fit with a body chop. Maybe 30s. Not sure what that size would be.

And then the other option being; a 3’ lift and 33s at the most with a Nitro regear.

And then a tool box and possible roof rack.

The OR has the crawl control. But the Pro and limited has the Sunroof. And the I think Pro/Limited also has WiFi.

I’m not wanting to go full on rock crawler or full on overlander. And Def don’t want anything more than a 3’ lift/ 33s cause I had one with a 6” and 35s and it made the truck super sluggish and rode like absolute shit lol.

Idk. I just need to look on Toyotas website and all the features of each trim and compare like you’re saying.

Thanks tho.

I feel like the TRD Off Road is the sweet spot, that's why I bought one. The only regret I have is that I didn't splurge for the sunroof. I really love sunroofs.

I feel like the TRD Off Road is the sweet spot, that's why I bought one. The only regret I have is that I didn't splurge for the sunroof. I really love sunroofs.
That’s what I’m thinking. You get the Bilstein shocks and crawl control. And a moon roof.

Not sure if a moon roof and sun roof are the same thing.

So I recently sold my 3rd gen (2017) back in late April of 22. Traded it on a Chevy.

Since then I’ve started a new job where they gave me a 2022 TSS Tacoma as a work truck, and it’s pretty much stock with a leveling kit up front and ATs.

So my Chevy has literally been sitting in my yard for a month cause I drive the work truck even when I go home for the weekend. So I figured why not pay a note on something that won’t depreciate hardly.

And now I’m able to drive my work truck everywhere and not even pay for gas.

It rides like a charm.

The whole reason I traded mine was cause it rode like hell.

Anyhow, I’m thinking of getting a 2022 Tacoma. And I’m not sure if I wanna get a TRD Off Road or a TRD PRO.

From what I can tell, a TRD off road is kinda like chevys Z71/trail boss.

Comes with Fox or Bilstein shocks but not leather seats.

Whereas the Pro I think comes with both.
And it’s kinda like a high country.

Or would it be better to just buy a SR5 and put all those upgrades on myself. (Shocks, leather seats, 3” lift, 33s, regear).

Seems like I’d save money buy buying the base model right?

Or is it just worth it to get the off road or pro package?
Not sure of the ‘22, but my ‘21 TRDOR came with leather seats.

I have a trd-pro, and put a wescott lift in the front and have been very happy with the fox shocks and the wescott lift. I also enjoy the trim features (red stitching) and all the doo-dads in a single package.

That being said, I would probably have been better off with a TRD-Off-road, and then put my own $4000 suspension system in (which is how much the pro cost over the off road). The red stitching wasn't worth the extra cash.

That’s what I’m thinking. You get the Bilstein shocks and crawl control. And a moon roof.

Not sure if a moon roof and sun roof are the same thing.
So, sun roofs are the old name for the ones that weren't made of glass. I'm just showing my age. And that's a separate package I believe.

NOTE: you don't get Crawl Control with the manual transmission but you do get the rear locker.

I bought an OR about 3 years ago and it has been great, but like everyone else said, how much do you plan on modifying it? Like I said I have the OR and immediately pulled all the suspension out and replaced it with Fox 2.5 and ICON RXT. I also rear geared to 5.29, while doing that I could have easily had a rear locker thrown in. I cut the rear bumper off and replaced it with a HC bumper, so I lost the blind spot monitoring system. As far as leather seats, it is actually quite reasonability priced to have brand new seats reupholstered with leather. All I have left from the OR package is the adaptive cruise control (cool), the sunroof (cool) and the crawl control (never used it). If I had it to do again, I probably would have bought a SR5.

I bought an OR about 3 years ago and it has been great, but like everyone else said, how much do you plan on modifying it? Like I said I have the OR and immediately pulled all the suspension out and replaced it with Fox 2.5 and ICON RXT. I also rear geared to 5.29, while doing that I could have easily had a rear locker thrown in. I cut the rear bumper off and replaced it with a HC bumper, so I lost the blind spot monitoring system. As far as leather seats, it is actually quite reasonability priced to have brand new seats reupholstered with leather. All I have left from the OR package is the adaptive cruise control (cool), the sunroof (cool) and the crawl control (never used it). If I had it to do again, I probably would have bought a SR5.
So do the new TRD Off roads still come with crawl control or is that only on like the 2018-2020 models?

So do the new TRD Off roads still come with crawl control or is that only on like the 2018-2020 models?
As far as I know all the TRDORs (2016-Now) have crawl control.

Comparing base SR5 vs TRD Off-Road, DCSB V6 6-Speed Automatic, no other options, to me, the TRD Off-Road is worth the around $1.7k price difference because of the rear locker.

The TRD Off-Road comes with Bilstein shocks. It'll have a soft ride. If you want the Fox shocks from factory, the TRD Pro comes with them.

TRD Off-Road Tacomas can be optioned with leather seats.

TRD Pro comes with leather seats and sunroof standard.

I purchased a Sport, before doing a lot of research on my truck. I like the fact that my 18 Sport has all black interior, unlike the same year SR5 I test drove. It had a grey headliner. For me that was a selling feature.

Since buying mine, I've upgraded the suspension and stereo.

I don't do enough wheeling to justify the need for crawl control and all the other fancy whizbang shit that the OR comes with. The Sport trim gets me around just fine with the Jeep guys.

O/R if you're going to do some things to it.
PRO if you have the money, only want to do minor things and don't that drive much. You're paying more for the PRO badge, some embroidery and the Fox Suspension or whatever they have on them now. Just for resale later.

Sport just has a non-functional hood scoop and road tuned suspension. Then the fenders are color matched. They are for dudes that sit when they pee and finger pop their bung-holes.

O/R has your "off-road" suspension and crawl control.

You can get a sunroof and stuffs on either of them as an option.

Basically you choose no worky hood scoop and painted fenders vs crawl control.
If you look at the cost/value of each, Crawl Control should win every time. Even if you don't use it. It's not like you can use a hood scoop or fenders.
Crawl Control is nice because it's there if you have to use it.

PRO if you have the money, only want to do minor things and don't that drive much. You're paying more for the PRO badge, some embroidery and the Fox Suspension or whatever they have on them now. Just for resale later.

Sport just has a non-functional hood scoop and road tuned suspension. Then the fenders are color matched. They are for dudes that sit when they pee and finger pop their bung-holes.

If you look at the cost/value of each, Crawl Control should win every time. Even if you don't use it. It's not like you can use a hood scoop or fenders.
Doesn't the PRO come with crawl too?

I’ll answer the question first. To me, a TRD Off-Road or Sport makes the most sense if you plan to modify it. A TRD Pro makes more sense if you don’t want to modify it. An SR5 doesn’t appeal to me for two reasons: automatic transmission only and inability to upgrade to the led headlights or any of the higher level options besides the blind spot monitoring package. Manual doesn’t seem to be on the table, and if you don’t care about OEM LEDs, then an SR5 is probably the best option if you don’t intend to upgrade to leather either. If you plan to do suspension and all that anyways.

I will ask, though….why even buy anything? If you’re never going to drive it, why not buy a cheap commuter or an old truck or something like that? I get the part about IF you’re paying a note, to get a truck that depreciates less, but based on what you’re saying why even have a note at all? If you insist on having the newer personal truck, then a Tacoma is one of the best choices available for that for the holding its value reason you said….but why the 33’s, lift, regear, etc? That’s going to go against the value, and unless you return the truck back to stock and keep/sell the parts separately, you’ll lose all that money you spent. To me, it kind of defeats the purpose of buying the truck that holds its value specifically for that reason if you’re going to install mods that are going to throw holding value out the window.

Just my $0.02. I’m probably overly pragmatic, and keep the stock tires and the stock suspension. I do like performance so I can justify a regear (even on stock tires, for fun), but I likely wouldn’t put even a regear into a vehicle I’m buying knowing I’m barely ever going to drive it. But, as my post probably suggests, I likely would have never bought the vehicle to begin with if I didn’t need to. I’d much rather put that monthly note elsewhere. I absolutely hate my note as it is now and can’t wait to have it gone.

Sport just has a non-functional hood SKEWP and road tuned suspension. Then the fenders are color matched. They are for dudes that sit when they pee and finger pop their bung-holes.
FIFY. At least spell SKEWP right, GAWD. My sport does just fine. I honestly prefer the painted fenders. That last comment had me rolling...but I don't do either of those things. Unless I have taco bell the night before...then the first statement reigns true.

I disagree on two points.

1. I got my O/R for the rear locker, it's a manual so it doesn't have crawl control.

2. Peeing sitting down is totally acceptable at night when you don't want to turn on the light and blind yourself but you also don't want to piss all over the place..

Doesn't the PRO come with crawl too?
Yes.
I disagree on two points.

1. I got my O/R for the rear locker, it's a manual so it doesn't have crawl control.

2. Peeing sitting down is totally acceptable at night when you don't want to turn on the light and blind yourself but you also don't want to piss all over the place..
Spray it, don't say it.

Back