• ⚙️ 3rd & 4th Gen Toyota Tacomas | Tacoma3G

🌮 Tacoma3G.com is an online resource and community for 2016+ Toyota Tacoma owners.

👤 Registration is completely free and only takes a few seconds, so we hope to see you and your rig on the forum!

♥️ Beginner friendly. Tight-knit. No ads. The raddest. Read more about us...

4th Gen Tacoma Which Trim to buy

SilverBullet3g

3️⃣ Silver
T3G Member
#8,066
Reaction score
First Name
Hayden
Truck Year
Truck Color
Silver Sky
Truck Grade
Sport
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
Instagram
@htisdale_97
So I recently sold my 3rd gen (2017) back in late April of 22. Traded it on a Chevy.

Since then I’ve started a new job where they gave me a 2022 TSS Tacoma as a work truck, and it’s pretty much stock with a leveling kit up front and ATs.

So my Chevy has literally been sitting in my yard for a month cause I drive the work truck even when I go home for the weekend. So I figured why not pay a note on something that won’t depreciate hardly.

And now I’m able to drive my work truck everywhere and not even pay for gas.

It rides like a charm.

The whole reason I traded mine was cause it rode like hell.

Anyhow, I’m thinking of getting a 2022 Tacoma. And I’m not sure if I wanna get a TRD Off Road or a TRD PRO.

From what I can tell, a TRD off road is kinda like chevys Z71/trail boss.

Comes with Fox or Bilstein shocks but not leather seats.

Whereas the Pro I think comes with both.
And it’s kinda like a high country.

Or would it be better to just buy a SR5 and put all those upgrades on myself. (Shocks, leather seats, 3” lift, 33s, regear).

Seems like I’d save money buy buying the base model right?

Or is it just worth it to get the off road or pro package?

Berserker__taco

6️⃣ Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
T3G Member
#4,543
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Color
Magnetic Gray
Truck Grade
SR
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
Instagram
@berserker__taco
Depends on how deep into modifying the truck you want to go and how important creature comforts are to you. If you dont plan on tearing out and replacing the suspension and like having interior/tech upgrades go for the Pro. If you want to add a suspension upgrade and still want some tech get the TRD Off road. The TRDOR also has a factory locker. I went in knowing tech and convenience packages weren't very important to me after driving a F250 XL work truck for 10 years with no CD player, hand crank windows, and rubber floors. Plus I planned on gutting the Tacoma and upgrading a lot. So I opted for an SR trim wich was still way more comfy than my previous truck. My only regret now is that I was unaware the SR and SR5 have a smaller rear end. Had I known I would have gone with the TRD Off Road just to have the 8.75in rear. Just decide what you plan on doing to/with the truck and you'll know pretty quick which trim fits you best.

SilverBullet3g

3️⃣ Silver
T3G Member
#8,066
Reaction score
First Name
Hayden
Truck Year
Truck Color
Silver Sky
Truck Grade
Sport
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
Instagram
@htisdale_97
Ok. I’m thinking, basic shocks, like Bilstein with a leveling kit and the biggest tires I can fit with a body chop. Maybe 30s. Not sure what that size would be.

And then the other option being; a 3’ lift and 33s at the most with a Nitro regear.

And then a tool box and possible roof rack.

The OR has the crawl control. But the Pro and limited has the Sunroof. And the I think Pro/Limited also has WiFi.

I’m not wanting to go full on rock crawler or full on overlander. And Def don’t want anything more than a 3’ lift/ 33s cause I had one with a 6” and 35s and it made the truck super sluggish and rode like absolute shit lol.

Idk. I just need to look on Toyotas website and all the features of each trim and compare like you’re saying.

Thanks tho.

RevN3

7️⃣ Connoisseur
Rig of the Month (2x)
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
T3G Member
#1,323
Reaction score
Truck Year
Truck Color
Blazing Blue Pearl
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Manual
Instagram
@revn3adventures
YouTube
/RevN3
I feel like the TRD Off Road is the sweet spot, that's why I bought one. The only regret I have is that I didn't splurge for the sunroof. I really love sunroofs.

SilverBullet3g

3️⃣ Silver
T3G Member
#8,066
Reaction score
First Name
Hayden
Truck Year
Truck Color
Silver Sky
Truck Grade
Sport
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
Instagram
@htisdale_97
I feel like the TRD Off Road is the sweet spot, that's why I bought one. The only regret I have is that I didn't splurge for the sunroof. I really love sunroofs.
That’s what I’m thinking. You get the Bilstein shocks and crawl control. And a moon roof.

Not sure if a moon roof and sun roof are the same thing.

SacFett

4️⃣ Gold
Tacoma3G Supporter
T3G Member
#8,643
Reaction score
First Name
Wade
Truck Year
Truck Color
Midnight Black
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
So I recently sold my 3rd gen (2017) back in late April of 22. Traded it on a Chevy.

Since then I’ve started a new job where they gave me a 2022 TSS Tacoma as a work truck, and it’s pretty much stock with a leveling kit up front and ATs.

So my Chevy has literally been sitting in my yard for a month cause I drive the work truck even when I go home for the weekend. So I figured why not pay a note on something that won’t depreciate hardly.

And now I’m able to drive my work truck everywhere and not even pay for gas.

It rides like a charm.

The whole reason I traded mine was cause it rode like hell.

Anyhow, I’m thinking of getting a 2022 Tacoma. And I’m not sure if I wanna get a TRD Off Road or a TRD PRO.

From what I can tell, a TRD off road is kinda like chevys Z71/trail boss.

Comes with Fox or Bilstein shocks but not leather seats.

Whereas the Pro I think comes with both.
And it’s kinda like a high country.

Or would it be better to just buy a SR5 and put all those upgrades on myself. (Shocks, leather seats, 3” lift, 33s, regear).

Seems like I’d save money buy buying the base model right?

Or is it just worth it to get the off road or pro package?
Not sure of the ‘22, but my ‘21 TRDOR came with leather seats.

Biohazard

7️⃣ Connoisseur
Rig of the Month
Tacoma3G Supporter
T3G Member
#6,304
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Color
White
Truck Grade
Pro
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
I have a trd-pro, and put a wescott lift in the front and have been very happy with the fox shocks and the wescott lift. I also enjoy the trim features (red stitching) and all the doo-dads in a single package.

That being said, I would probably have been better off with a TRD-Off-road, and then put my own $4000 suspension system in (which is how much the pro cost over the off road). The red stitching wasn't worth the extra cash.

RevN3

7️⃣ Connoisseur
Rig of the Month (2x)
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
T3G Member
#1,323
Reaction score
Truck Year
Truck Color
Blazing Blue Pearl
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Manual
Instagram
@revn3adventures
YouTube
/RevN3
That’s what I’m thinking. You get the Bilstein shocks and crawl control. And a moon roof.

Not sure if a moon roof and sun roof are the same thing.
So, sun roofs are the old name for the ones that weren't made of glass. I'm just showing my age. And that's a separate package I believe.

NOTE: you don't get Crawl Control with the manual transmission but you do get the rear locker.

Butch

6️⃣ Aficionado
Rig of the Month
Tacoma3G Supporter
T3G Member
#6,318
Reaction score
Truck Year
Truck Color
Barcelona Red
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
Instagram
@pequeno_diablo_tacoma
I bought an OR about 3 years ago and it has been great, but like everyone else said, how much do you plan on modifying it? Like I said I have the OR and immediately pulled all the suspension out and replaced it with Fox 2.5 and ICON RXT. I also rear geared to 5.29, while doing that I could have easily had a rear locker thrown in. I cut the rear bumper off and replaced it with a HC bumper, so I lost the blind spot monitoring system. As far as leather seats, it is actually quite reasonability priced to have brand new seats reupholstered with leather. All I have left from the OR package is the adaptive cruise control (cool), the sunroof (cool) and the crawl control (never used it). If I had it to do again, I probably would have bought a SR5.