• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

When to re-gear in my order of mods

Mschuman

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
Hello,
I have a 2017 Tacoma 4x4 crew cab long box. I just purchased SCS Ray 10’s with KO2’s 265/70/r17’s on their way. I have to go with a smaller tire for now as I don’t have a lift and I am still trying to figure out why will work best for me.
My goal is to eventually run 285/70/r17s.
I will eventually be getting the Victory 4x4 strike front and rear bumper plus their rock sliders. I will also be adding a leer topper.

My main question is would it be benificial to (or is there any harm to) regear with Nitto 4.88 before I add all the weight so it will be ready when I do or should I wait till after?

Last edited:
Hello,
I have a 2017 Tacoma 4x4 crew cab long box. I just purchased SCS Ray 10’s with KO2’s 265/70/r17’s on their way. I have to go with a smaller tire for now as I don’t have a lift and I am still trying to figure out why will work best for me.
My goal is to eventually run 285/70/r17s.
I will eventually be getting the Victory 4x4 strike front and rear bumper plus their rock sliders. I will also be adding a leer topper.

My main question is would it be benificial to (or is there any harm to) regear with Nitto 4.88 before I add all the weight so it will be ready when I do or should I wait till after?

no issues doing it now. ive ready many comments from people w/ stock Tacomas indicating that "it was what the truck should have come with".

like everything it all comes down to personal preference. Im running 255/80/17 with all the bolt on armor and I feel my truck is ready. too bad I can't afford it, ill just suffer for now.

If you have the money, do it. I'm running the same size K02's you plan and I wish I had gearing. Hell I want 5.29's because of my weight though.

Well it is a work in progress as I have to build slowly on a budget. That’s why I was asking if it mattered if I regear proactively as a pose to reactively. Looking at trying to proritize my next steps. Sounds like I can go either way.

If you're on a budget I probably wouldn't have it as an immediate priority. That said if you do decide to do gears right away you would definitely benefit from it. Also I think it's a solid consideration to re-gear since you plan to add armor, and a shell. Those are both considerable weight additions that gears would help with immensely. Our truck is pretty heavy, lifted, would definitely benefit from gears and we haven't even added bumpers yet. It's on the ever growing list.

Welcome!

I would ask, what are your plans for the truck?

Daily, semi overland
Overlander
Rock Crawler
Mall Crawler

It does all come down to what you want first though. The wheels, tires are a good start. Maybe look into lifts/suspension, as that will help with the weight you add. Then when time allows and you have the larger tires, gears would be a perfect fit.

Have you considered OVTune instead of regear?

Welcome!

I would ask, what are your plans for the truck?

Daily, semi overland
Overlander
Rock Crawler
Mall Crawler

It does all come down to what you want first though. The wheels, tires are a good start. Maybe look into lifts/suspension, as that will help with the weight you add. Then when time allows and you have the larger tires, gears would be a perfect fit.

Question for you. My plans for my truck - I drive it maybe 1-2 / week. I take it camping (semi overland) but no crazy rock crawling.

Here is what I have: TRD OR with approximately 3.5" lift on 295/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers. I have an aluminum Demello front bumper and steel TJM rear bumper. Steel sliders and Prinsu Roof Rack. I do not have RTT or rack (never plan to). I don't tow anything (maybe will rent a tear drop some day). I don't bolder crawl (its not a Jeep). My MPG is 13 and it hunts for gears, and is slow as a dog. I want to regear to improve MPG and provide a smoother drive in city/hwy. Future plans are to MAYBE add a winch and replace the rear bumper with a CBI swing out to hang my tire back there.

What gear ratio should I go with?

Question for you. My plans for my truck - I drive it maybe 1-2 / week. I take it camping (semi overland) but no crazy rock crawling.

Here is what I have: TRD OR with approximately 3.5" lift on 295/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers. I have an aluminum Demello front bumper and steel TJM rear bumper. Steel sliders and Prinsu Roof Rack. I do not have RTT or rack (never plan to). I don't tow anything (maybe will rent a tear drop some day). I don't bolder crawl (its not a Jeep). My MPG is 13 and it hunts for gears, and is slow as a dog. I want to regear to improve MPG and provide a smoother drive in city/hwy. Future plans are to MAYBE add a winch and replace the rear bumper with a CBI swing out to hang my tire back there.

What gear ratio should I go with?

5.29s. Even the weight you have and the 34" tires qualify for 5.29 gears. Don't forget the OVTune as well. Otherwise you're not taking full advantage of the gears.

Back