• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

What Traction Boards?

What Traction Boards Do You Use/Want?

• Maxtrax

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Tred 4x4

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Traction Jack

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maxsa Innovations

• X-Bull

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Others

• Total voters

Silent_Taco4x4

6️⃣ Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCSB Auto
White
I am in the market for some traction boards, my first thought was Maxtrax(because that's what almost everyone on IG uses), after a little bit of research found a lot of different options with a lot of different reviews, I want to know what my fellow T3Gers use or would use and why.

Here is a good review from Mademan925 on the you tubes:

Last edited:
Got the X-bulls. Used them my first trip after getting, got me free and no broken teeth or plastic on the boards. At around 100$ for 2 you can’t beat that. I love them

How often do you find yourself using traction boards? Offroad newbie trying to see what I should buy in order of importance

How did you mount the X-bulls to your rack?
Just on the side of my rack using two bolts with lock washers and nuts, really basic but super effective

How often do you find yourself using traction boards? Offroad newbie trying to see what I should buy in order of importance
I’ve only used them once in snow that was about 4ft deep, if you’re in deep soft sand areas or muddy terrain probably more often. It’s a cheap recovery gear option that works with almost complete certainty. 100$ for a little more confidence is worth it

So I didn't know about the x-bull boards until seeing this thread. Did a little research and read through a couple forum threads each over 5 pages long at a minimum, with plenty of discussion about testing them out, thoughts about them, comparisons to the big name brand stuff like maxtrax and tred (believed to all be the same material and just higher priced because of previous market monopoly) and after all of that I'm pretty impressed and probably going to buy a set of x-bull boards.

So I'm appreciative that the OP made this thread for sure

So I didn't know about the x-bull boards until seeing this thread. Did a little research and read through a couple forum threads each over 5 pages long at a minimum, with plenty of discussion about testing them out, thoughts about them, comparisons to the big name brand stuff like maxtrax and tred (believed to all be the same material and just higher priced because of previous market monopoly) and after all of that I'm pretty impressed and probably going to buy a set of x-bull boards.

So I'm appreciative that the OP made this thread for sure

You won’t regret that purchase. Don’t spend an assload for essentially the same thing. X-bulls area rated for 10-tons and I did a load of research on them before purchasing these boards. X-bulls have already helped me and look like I just pulled them out of the case the day I got them

You won’t regret that purchase. Don’t spend an assload for essentially the same thing. X-bulls area rated for 10-tons and I did a load of research on them before purchasing these boards. X-bulls have already helped me and look like I just pulled them out of the case the day I got them
I had been eyeing some boards because I do a lot of local recovery for people stuck in the sand out here in the desert and it'd be really convenient to not have to drag out my strap and shackles and whatever else every single time lol just toss the dude some boards and tell him to get to work haha

Does anyone have photos of the X-Bulls mounted inside a short bed? Ideally, I'd like to find a set that I can mount flat against the cab end of the bed in my DCSB.

Back