• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

What made you buy your 3rd Gen?

MLN

3️⃣ Silver
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
What was it that led you to decide to buy your Tacoma over another brand? For me it was a combination of reputation, reliability, resale value and the fact they are the sexiest damn truck out there!!

I had to trade in my other vehicle quick. I had always wanted to give a truck a go. the 16s had just rolled out and im not a fan of modern GM vehicles. easy decision

same here, the reliability is great with Toyota. I've alwasy wanted an off road truck and when the new 16' model came out i loved it from the minute I saw it. Was just waiting for the right moment and finally 2018 came and the Cement was offered on the TRD offroad so i pulled the trigger

Toyota fan for life, Tacoma owner since Dec 2004. Craved more modern tech and couldn’t wait for the 3rd gen to drop . Purchased current ride in September 2015.

I had owned trucks of most brands, GM, Dodge, Ford, etc. In 2018, I bought my first Toyota. It was a new, well dealer owners demo, 1784 Edition Tundra. It was a nice truck but I wasn't blown away with it. At the time, I thought I needed the larger truck because we had bought a 26' travel trailer and I needed something to pull it. After the travel trailer set here for a solid year and we never used it once, I decided to sell it. In the meantime, every time I met a Tacoma on the road, I thought to myself that they sure looked good. I ended up trading the Tundra for a 2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road with 17,000 miles on it. Got a heck of a deal and walked away with a good bit of cash my way. Though it's not nearly as plush a ride as the Tundra, I actually enjoyed driving it much more. For my wife, it was no contest, she loved driving the Tacoma to the point that her Camaro convertible sits in the garage about 95% of the time. A little over a month ago, she got in an accident and totaled the Tacoma and there was no thinking about what brand to replace it with. I bought a 2022 Tacoma TRD Off Road. Better equipped but otherwise almost identical. Same color and etc. Most people wouldn't even know I had got a new one. Just upped the packages to leather interior, moon roof, etc.

Well I used to own a shitbox Ford Ranger and was just giving me all sorts of issues. I have a buddy who has a Taco then got a Tundra and always told me "Get a Toyota they last" and another one who still has an 02 Taco, thing's mint. I ended up going to a dealership, saw the beauty of a truck I now own, walked out with it that day with a couple G's off :)

Was looking for trucks in March 2020. I found that 2nd gen trucks were only marginally cheaper than 3rds. I found a 3rd at a dealer that had all the things I wanted and jumped on it. Got it for $1000 more than a 2nd gen with more miles and less features at another dealer. Easy decision.

I had a 2020 Ram Power Wagon. I Special ordered through the Dealer. I built it exactly how I wanted it. It was supposed to be my last truck. But with everything that changed in the World, and personally. Between Sept. 2020. and Jan. 2022. Due to unforeseen circumstances. I could no longer justify it. My Wife had to have a new Car right away. I Sold my P/W last week of January. I found Identical Brand New 2022 Fully loaded TRD O/R's with a M/T " It had to be a Stick", at a Dealer in Colorado. Even down to the Color I wanted. They sold the 1st. one . As I was trying to put a deposit down. I immediately got the deposit on the 2nd. one. I live in Missouri. I picked it up a couple of days later. That same week. I placed a Deposit down on a local Dealer Allocated AWD Camry. My Wife picked from the list. And took delivery of it about 6 weeks later. I had a White 1st. Gen SR5 Ext. Cab V6 5Spd. 4X4 Tacoma years ago . I loved it . So . When I decided to Downsize. I looked at Nissan "Owned one before" and Toyota. I went with the Toyota. Because I Regretted losing my 1st. Gen "Totaled". I didn't regret getting rid of the Nissan. I love this Truck ! Everything looked Familiar . When I first got in it. I just wish they had kept the manual Transfer Case.

Last edited:
Had a 2016 taco, a jeep dealership offered me $4000 less than I paid for it 2 years previously and discounted a 2018 JLUR 2018 by $5000 off msrp, couldn't pass up the deal. Unfortunately it was in the dealership every 3-4 months for stupid stuff (recalls, rear window defrost, etc.). The anchor that broke the camel's back was the door hinge rust from the aluminum doors with steel bolts (galvanic corrosion). $3000 repaint covered under warranty...the first time. 2-3 years later it's my cost, not covered.

Traded it in at a rare Toyota-Jeep dealership (same owner, side by side stores), got back into a Tacoma.

Miss the jeep. Will probably get another one eventually. But I've yet to take my truck for a repair, and I beat the crap out of it.

I had been eyeing Tundra's for a few months prior. Went and test drove a SR5 Tundra at the local Chevy dealer, it was HUGE. This was about the same time as fuel prices started going up. Wife and I debated the 12 mpg, ultimately test drove a couple Tacoma's. First one was a super basic SR that the Ford dealer had, saw online they had my blue one. Not sure what was different but the sport drove drastically better than the SR.

We were wanting a truck to eventually buy a SXS and camper, and needed something to tow both. Now that I'm used to owning a truck, I'll probably upgrade to a new Tundra once they sort out all the issues in the next 5 years or so.

Also looked at getting into a 2nd gen, but the weird fenders and dated interior was a huge turn off for me.

Back