• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

What Leaf setup w/ Kings?

Ghser7

2️⃣ Bronze
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2016 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Blazing Blue Pearl
Ok so I have already ordered the front Kings Coilover for now. My tires are rubbing pretty good after the install of my TE37x. Yes, I have cut some fender liner away but don't want to cut more than I have to either. I know once the lift is in, I should be good.

My main question is what AAL or full leaf pack are people running in the rear with your Kings? I did not get the EXT Kings, I don't go hardcore off-roading(live in South FL), nor do I think I'll have much weight in the back. Call it a mall crawler if you want, I just want a capable truck when I actually have the time to wheel!

We actually typically sell the Dakar Leaf pack with the Kings in the rear. Of course DSMS has a set of kings specifically valved for the Dakar Leafs so that helps in our decision. Icon RXT, Dakar and Dakar HD, Deaver, they are all good packs. Just depends on what you plan to do with the truck amigo.

When I had my Kings I had the icon aal which was fine till I used my roof top tent then went with deaver u402s which are awesome springs

So I was recently looking in to Kings myself and just wanted to clarify a few things for you...

King does not make a true extended travel bolt-on shock for Tacomas (front or rear), and they officially only recommend using their rears with 1.5" progressive AALs without the overload spring, nor does DSM list a separate shock to fit aftermarket leaf packs. However, upon request, DSM will do a no-cost modification that makes them longer to be more compatible with Dakars and similar packs. It's simply a 1" longer rod end on the bottom so it increases the extended and collapsed lengths 1" over standard... there is no change in valving or anything else, just the longer rod end.

All that means is that I would stick to a progressive AAL in the rear with Kings unless you need the load carrying ability of full replacement leaf packs due to overland equipment, towing, etc. Kings are awesome without a doubt, but I ended up going a different route for my uses specifically for the issue of lengths and travel.

So I was recently looking in to Kings myself and just wanted to clarify a few things for you...

King does not make a true extended travel bolt-on shock for Tacomas (front or rear), and they officially only recommend using their rears with 1.5" progressive AALs without the overload spring, nor does DSM list a separate shock to fit aftermarket leaf packs. However, upon request, DSM will do a no-cost modification that makes them longer to be more compatible with Dakars and similar packs. It's simply a 1" longer rod end on the bottom so it increases the extended and collapsed lengths 1" over standard... there is no change in valving or anything else, just the longer rod end.

All that means is that I would stick to a progressive AAL in the rear with Kings unless you need the load carrying ability of full replacement leaf packs due to overland equipment, towing, etc. Kings are awesome without a doubt, but I ended up going a different route for my uses specifically for the issue of lengths and travel.

Essentially a much longer way of saying what we order haha.

I went from add-a-leaf to All pro's, to Icons.
The 1st 2 were to soft and to low. The Icon springs are a great value as far as price and setting them at the height you need.

Thanks for explaining. I have Kings in back with the ICON AAL. I was thinking of going with the Dakar later for added height and for when I'm towing a small trailer. Didn't realize I'd need to modify the existing rear shocks.

So what did you end up going with? And I assume they are longer than the Kings, and come in a length appropriate to support the Dakar leaf pack.

So what did you end up going with? And I assume they are longer than the Kings, and come in a length appropriate to support the Dakar leaf pack.
I went with a custom ADS setup through Headstrong. Fox also makes a 26.5" rear shock that would work well with the Dakars, or for the most plug and play solution you could go with the RXT leafs instead with the RXT shocks.

I went with a custom ADS setup through Headstrong. Fox also makes a 26.5" rear shock that would work well with the Dakars, or for the most plug and play solution you could go with the RXT leafs instead with the RXT shocks.
I've already got the King 24.29" Kings. I'm thinking the most cost effective way to get the length is to have Down South Motors add the longer piston. Just can't bring myself to go Kings in front and Icons in back. I would be so conflicted and confused. :)

I've already got the King 24.29" Kings. I'm thinking the most cost effective way to get the length is to have Down South Motors add the longer piston. Just can't bring myself to go Kings in front and Icons in back. I would be so conflicted and confused. :)
If they can do a longer piston or possibly even a combination of the piston and the longer rod end to get at least 26.5" extended length you'll be in good shape, just remember you'll probably need to extend your brake lines, ABS sensor bracket, locker actuator cable, etc.

If they can do a longer piston or possibly even a combination of the piston and the longer rod end to get at least 26.5" extended length you'll be in good shape, just remember you'll probably need to extend your brake lines, ABS sensor bracket, locker actuator cable, etc.
Thanks for the reminder. I was going to add break lines, but didn't think about the others.

no diff drop its useless for the 3rd gens. as for the dakars, 2.75-3" lift.
So no diff drop, but yes to the carrier bearing drop kit. Are you running King rear 25001-121's? And thank you for the advice.

Back