• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

What have you done to, or with, your Tacoma today?

Got the call my bumper was coated. Bought the R4T Bumper Caps. Had some ugly lines under the paint. Was told that was the mold. They should have just sanded them before painting. Wanted to avoid cutting mine since I'm hyper OCD. That was the reason why I sold my previous bumper. The Bumper Caps were pretty nice for the most part, but fitment was a little off.
PXL_20210914_214049474.jpg

PXL_20210912_032001979.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20210912_035259742.NIGHT.jpg

R4T offered a full refund. I asked about a partial so I could just get it repainted. That wasn't an option. So back they go. Cut mine and they turned out petty good. Lucked out they just happened to line up with the fenders.
IMG_20210914_221309_01.jpg

Always takes me forever to finish something because it always has to be perfect. I'm pretty happy how it turned out. See some cuts of others and they looked horrible.

PXL_20210915_045750172.NIGHT.jpg
You not worried about your d rings getting jacked?

Last edited:
i put my deposit down for a bruteforce fabrication high clearance rear bumper and have a set of bilstein 7100's 14 inch short body on order as well...

Last edited:
Out with the old AAL and in with the Icon RXT.
3C16E890-4B50-4B86-97F0-B735F2FDE334.jpeg
9ED58238-E1DC-40B0-9312-689B645BF0A9.jpeg
Nice upgrade. Mind sharing tire details, though?
It's nice to see these trucks in their natural habitat!

I picked up a used cap that's crucial to my camper build. Driving it back was not fun, and someone gave me the opportunity to test my brakes and ABS. It was close but no accident. I saw a lot of crazy stuff, too. This is why I avoid the Bay Area...

IMG_20210925_143538826.jpg

Just my luck right. So I tried to assemble the 6112's the other day. They said the standard spring compressor won't work for it. Some said the coil is too thick. Others say they couldn't get the clamps between the coils. Some said they tried and got it to work, but it wasn't fully secure. I'd prefer to die in my sleep. So I did the loaner from AutoZone.
sd.PNG

Maybe I'm dumb. Compress is with 3-4 coils and it's not enough to thread the nut. 5-6 coils and the shock is too thick that you can't seat the spring correctly because the threaded rod doesn't come through. Then the shock hits the bottom plate. If you do use one of these, don't use the secure cables it comes with. They are useless. Not saying don't use anything, but the loaner one's cables were broke. Has an aluminum ferrule stop that loops the steel cable. Was ripped out. Crimp them some more or use ratchet straps to secure it to the base of the vice/table/compressor.

I guess standing/wall mount is the only choice. Amazon's loan-a-tool program is great!

I calibrated the Hypertech Speedometer Calibrator. Easy but frustrating on no sleep. Windows/Software/Driver issue. Installed with admin privelges. Tried to auto update/install in the flashing program which is automated during installation. Says successful, but when you try to use it, it doesn't work. They have an .exe installer for the .dll/driver. Ran in admin mode. Start up the flasher and it crashed saying driver not there. Had to go under Settings and hunt down ports and serial adapter it was under as it shows up 2-3 times. Then manually installed drivers. Finally got it to work. 10 minutes. Plugged in stock tire size and current tire size. .029% difference. Lol. I guess I'm future proofed if/when I got bigger tires. Good excuse to finally remove the gauge cluster and install the Protech Screen Protector.

Just my luck right. So I tried to assemble the 6112's the other day. They said the standard spring compressor won't work for it. Some said the coil is too thick. Others say they couldn't get the clamps between the coils. Some said they tried and got it to work, but it wasn't fully secure. I'd prefer to die in my sleep. So I did the loaner from AutoZone.
sd.PNG

Maybe I'm dumb. Compress is with 3-4 coils and it's not enough to thread the nut. 5-6 coils and the shock is too thick that you can't seat the spring correctly because the threaded rod doesn't come through. Then the shock hits the bottom plate. If you do use one of these, don't use the secure cables it comes with. They are useless. Not saying don't use anything, but the loaner one's cables were broke. Has an aluminum ferrule stop that loops the steel cable. Was ripped out. Crimp them some more or use ratchet straps to secure it to the base of the vice/table/compressor.

I guess standing/wall mount is the only choice. Amazon's loan-a-tool program is great!

I calibrated the Hypertech Speedometer Calibrator. Easy but frustrating on no sleep. Windows/Software/Driver issue. Installed with admin privelges. Tried to auto update/install in the flashing program which is automated during installation. Says successful, but when you try to use it, it doesn't work. They have an .exe installer for the .dll/driver. Ran in admin mode. Start up the flasher and it crashed saying driver not there. Had to go under Settings and hunt down ports and serial adapter it was under as it shows up 2-3 times. Then manually installed drivers. Finally got it to work. 10 minutes. Plugged in stock tire size and current tire size. .029% difference. Lol. I guess I'm future proofed if/when I got bigger tires. Good excuse to finally remove the gauge cluster and install the Protech Screen Protector.

LOL. I was laughing while reading this. Simply because I could relate.

Not in the last day or so, about a week ago, driving the Pony Express trail

Attachments

• BD176147-81CE-4BAF-BF05-F250BCBD00B5.jpeg
    BD176147-81CE-4BAF-BF05-F250BCBD00B5.jpeg
    212.1 KB · Views: 67
  • 27FAA114-828C-480C-A55E-733870ACE106.jpeg
    27FAA114-828C-480C-A55E-733870ACE106.jpeg
    427.6 KB · Views: 57
  • DDD2737F-A6E8-4294-84F0-4C0FEE8B40FC.jpeg
    DDD2737F-A6E8-4294-84F0-4C0FEE8B40FC.jpeg
    192.2 KB · Views: 61
Deaver U402's ordered!

Good choice. I luv my Deavers. Top them off with a set of Hammer Hangers from @ARCHIVE and you won’t regret it.

You’re probably going to wish you went with Stage III’s though. I did II’s and ended up with III’s. Started to sag after a while with rear bumper and tent. Although, I have my big ass tire on my bumper, which adds a lot of weight on the end.

Good choice. I luv my Deavers. Top them off with a set of Hammer Hangers from @ARCHIVE and you won’t regret it.

You’re probably going to wish you went with Stage III’s though. I did II’s and ended up with III’s. Started to sag after a while with rear bumper and tent. Although, I have my big ass tire on my bumper, which adds a lot of weight on the end.
And actually yes, after chatting with Alex at Accutune, decided to wait a bit. Apparently my trdpro shocks won't work with the setup, he suggested upgrading to one inch longer shocks (plus some other accouterments) or else my stock foxes will be bottoming out a good bit. That took things from $1300 to $3300, so we are going to save up a bit.

And actually yes, after chatting with Alex at Accutune, decided to wait a bit. Apparently my trdpro shocks won't work with the setup, he suggested upgrading to one inch longer shocks (plus some other accouterments) or else my stock foxes will be bottoming out a good bit. That took things from $1300 to $3300, so we are going to save up a bit.

LOL. Nobody said it wasn’t an expensive hobby.

I just had my hard shell RTT repaired, and it cost me just under $1k. I’ve probably slept in it five or six times.

Back