• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

What else do you guys drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paige

🐾☠️💕
Volunteer T3G Editor
Reaction score
What's up Taco dudes? I'm probably the only member here without one. Why? Because I have a Jeep JKU. Why? Because it has a solid axle and your cute little Tacos don't.

Just kidding, Tyler told me to say that. I'm his wife and he wants me to use the forum. What am I supposed to do, trade the Jeep in for a Taco?

I love his Taco as much as he does, but we also have a 2013 Jeep JKU that has been across the country and off the beaten path many times over, including Easter Jeep Safari in Moab.

He also has a 1984 Chevy K30 (military truck) that he is neglecting cause of his Taco obsession.

Anyway, if you guys have other rides, post some pictures!

IMG_0471.JPG
IMG_0461.JPG

'08 4R v8 (well, it's actually my wife's)

And a 26 year old pair of chevrolegs. Some serious mileage of them, some issues, but haven't gone out yet

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1525406799499.jpg
    FB_IMG_1525406799499.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 96
'08 4R v8 (well, it's actually my wife's)

And a 26 year old pair of chevrolegs. Some serious mileage of them, some issues, but haven't gone out yet
How does this V8 compare to our V6?

How does this V8 compare to our V6?
The v8 is more torquey. I know the numbers are similar on paper, but it's just something you notice by feeling it, and it's to be expected being a v8. And the OEM tune is superb. One of the OVT maps I compared to this 4R, in that it reached the point where driving the truck now had you feeling the weight of the vehicle (as you do on the stock map) except that now the truck can get out of its own way lol a further map revision by OV eliminated this though, resulting in a map that left the truck feeling a bit lighter and more nimble. I.e. application of power/more power probably tweaked, idk. Hopefully all of that makes sense.

Just differences in tuning really, which has a direct impact on a lot of aspects of the vehicle. Stock for stock, the v8 and its OEM tune is superior by far to the 3GT w/ Auto Trans, and that gap is lessened by my Manual trans I would say, just because the OEM tuned AT has some frankly dangerous aspects that can be avoided or mitigated with the manual. With my truck being OVtuned, I wouldn't say that the 4R continues to be superior, just that they behave differently. That being said, my v6 still can't deliver that low end torquey kick in the ass the same way that the v8 4R can.

The v8 is more torquey. I know the numbers are similar on paper, but it's just something you notice by feeling it, and it's to be expected being a v8. And the OEM tune is superb. One of the OVT maps I compared to this 4R, in that it reached the point where driving the truck now had you feeling the weight of the vehicle (as you do on the stock map) except that now the truck can get out of its own way lol a further map revision by OV eliminated this though, resulting in a map that left the truck feeling a bit lighter and more nimble. I.e. application of power/more power probably tweaked, idk. Hopefully all of that makes sense.

Just differences in tuning really, which has a direct impact on a lot of aspects of the vehicle. Stock for stock, the v8 and its OEM tune is superior by far to the 3GT w/ Auto Trans, and that gap is lessened by my Manual trans I would say, just because the OEM tuned AT has some frankly dangerous aspects that can be avoided or mitigated with the manual. With my truck being OVtuned, I wouldn't say that the 4R continues to be superior, just that they behave differently. That being said, my v6 still can't deliver that low end torquey kick in the ass the same way that the v8 4R can.
To summarize, the 8 is better than the 6 out of the box. The 6 can compare after OVT. But we all know the 6 should be better or at least turned correctly, so that kinda sucks.

72 nova
Originally built by my father back in the day for his friend. His friend no longer had space for it. So now it’s mine
Ls turbo swap in the making.
DA159709-6150-4B9B-A5DF-D1D5E1925D25.jpeg
D6C201EE-F83C-4E03-939E-0D2238EC9201.jpeg
That thing is bad as fuck dude.

Reactions: Jay
To summarize, the 8 is better than the 6 out of the box. The 6 can compare after OVT. But we all know the 6 should be better or at least turned correctly, so that kinda sucks.
EPA regs and the push for greater gas mileage and using a tune to mask tuning issues by nerfing the truck into the ground is a factor too. Bummer too, cause while I don't care about gas mileage, that v8 still does get better mileage than my Taco lol

Those are nice rides, my other ride isn’t an off-road vehicle , just a little ricer. But I like turbo fun too
Then you would appreciate my ricer, kinda miss it. 2013 full bolt on focus st, you'll love the custom plate too it was TRQ STR.
DSC_0692.JPG

Then you would appreciate my ricer, kinda miss it. 2013 full bolt on focus st, you'll love the custom plate too it was TRQ STR.
DSC_0692.JPG
Nice , I couldn’t get rid of mine too much sentimental value and not much else lol. But it’s been old faithful

that was the next step if the clutch wasn't slipping and the synchro for 3rd didn't act up while passing a toyota dealer :ROFLMAO:
I tear up a little thinking about it but turbo ls nova is way more appropriate for my life style

Yep! Took about 9-10 years to get it to that point. I bought it bone stock from the original owner.
Dang! Do you have a build thread somewhere? Or would you want to post one here in the off topic forum? I'm interested.

Dang! Do you have a build thread somewhere? Or would you want to post one here in the off topic forum? I'm interested.
M3 Build Thread here and I can piece together a concise version for the off topic forum here one of these days. I'm honestly just awful at updating those types of threads. I don't think I have added most of the mods to the car in that thread and haven't posted the more meaningful things haha.

M3 Build Thread here and I can piece together a concise version for the off topic forum here one of these days. I'm honestly just awful at updating those types of threads. I don't think I have added most of the mods to the car in that thread and haven't posted the more meaningful things haha.
I hear you on the build thread thing. My build thread here isn't even updated.

But I looked through that one and that car really has come a long way. Must be your absolute baby.

I hear you on the build thread thing. My build thread here isn't even updated.

But I looked through that one and that car really has come a long way. Must be your absolute baby.
Due to moving around the past few years, it is no longer as pristine as I'd like. I used to keep it garaged, but sadly it now sits outside and needs a bit of love on the paint. With some minor work, it will be back to 110% again.

The wife’s ride 2018 A5 cabriolet

8DC44AA7-7064-4313-B840-5E25CFE20181.jpeg

she broke her right leg and can’t get in and out of my truck or her car so we had to get another vehicle. I’m driving the hell outta this one cause I can.

2018 Honda HRV AWD. The gutless wonder.

6EF98923-B24D-450D-822A-8D5FCC3C7319.jpeg

She doesn’t get out much. And when she does, it’s not always a walk in the park.

edit: wow, what a terrible shot. looked better on my phone.
E998F51C-20DD-41D4-80CE-DB48E5BD500D.jpeg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back