• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

What did you purchase recently?

Tyler

🔟 Mythical
Badministrator
Volunteer T3G Editor
Reaction score
Website
tacoma3g.com
2017 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Quicksand
Kind of like the “What did you do to your Tacoma today?” thread, but not.

I am planning to shoot an install video of my @DobinsonsUSA leaf springs and Firestone airbags and cradles as my first ever video. I don’t know anything about cameras that aren’t an iPhone, or video editing, but I will learn as I go.

I grabbed the Rode VideoMicro microphone to ensure I have better quality audio when I film. For only $55 and how well reviewed it is, it seemed like a no-brainer.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015R0IQGW/?tag=tacoma3g-20

192447CA-6054-4479-89A5-BC8514486DDE.jpeg

So, what have you guys been wasting your money on?

Last edited:
So, what have you guys been wasting your money on?

Truck parts ? ... I bought a handful of Factor55 gear. Fairlead, Steel Shackles, Winch schackle, and their Fast Fid, just in case.

I did buy a silicone license plate frame. I ordered a custom license plate that is blacked out and I'm hoping this frame will cover up the white border around the plate. I wish they would have just blacked out the whole thing.... first world problems. Link: LP Frame

Truck parts ? ... I bought a handful of Factor55 gear. Fairlead, Steel Shackles, Winch schackle, and their Fast Fid, just in case.

I did buy a silicone license plate frame. I ordered a custom license plate that is blacked out and I'm hoping this frame will cover up the white border around the plate. I wish they would have just blacked out the whole thing.... first world problems. Link: LP Frame
What does the plate itself look like?

After I bought the microphone, I also splurged a little more to prepare for the video I want to make.

I got the cheapest tripod I could find. I’m sure you get what you pay for with these, but at the same time, if it holds the camera for me, what more could I need?
66AF873C-A72D-4382-988D-18473411CF26.jpeg

AmazonBasics 60-Inch Lightweight Tripod with Bag https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005KP473Q/?tag=tacoma3g-20

Then, despite already having plenty of SD cards somewhere, I can’t freakin’ find them, so I got another one that I think might be top of the line as far as speed goes.

Samsung 256GB 100MB/s (U3) MicroSDXC EVO Select Memory Card with Full-Size Adapter (MB-ME256GA/AM) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072HRDM55/?tag=tacoma3g-20

And to not lose the SD cards again:
0981B20B-747E-4DC9-A1AA-F7D7658FBEEA.jpeg

AmazonBasics Memory Card Carrying Case Holder 24 Slots for SD and Micro SD Cards https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K4PGMLX/?tag=tacoma3g-20

Also grabbed a cheap UV lens and polarizer combo pack.

Amazon Basics products have always come in clutch for me - especially, their USB and Lightning cables. They are pretty highly rated and their USB-C cables were tested by an ex-Google (I think) employee as one of few cables that meet USB Standards for delivering power.

I also started deeply researching camera backpacks. I usually research everything I buy, even if it’s something simple. I just enjoy doing it.

My criteria for a camera bag was, give or take:

- No more than $50.
- A backpack, not a bag, for use while hiking.
- Can also fit a 15” laptop.
- Not ugly as hell like most camera bags seem to be.
- Room for snacks, drone, GoPro, accessories, etc.
- Somewhat comfortable to use while hiking.

After looking at a million of them, I have settled on this Vanguard one:
85A97E6F-51D1-4815-A950-5B829D69EAE1.jpeg43007122-EC71-46FC-BB93-41D525B9D718.jpeg
Vanguard Havana 48 Backpack for Sony, Nikon, Canon, Fujifilm Mirrorless, Compact System Camera (CSC), DSLR, Travel https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K7JITGA/?tag=tacoma3g-20

I think it looks totally different for being a camera backpack. It was $100 on Amazon yesterday, but today it is $80 (lol), it is big enough for what I need to put in it, and it looks like it’ll work well while hiking.

Amazon Basics products have always come in clutch for me - especially, their USB and Lightning cables. They are pretty highly rated and their USB-C cables were tested by an ex-Google (I think) employee as one of few cables that meet USB Standards for delivering power.
I agree. Their iPhone charges usually end up only working on way when plugged into the phone, after a few months. That’s the only complaint I have.

New tires.
Falken Wildpeak A/T3W LT265/75 R16 123S E1 RBL
Not planning on new wheels, I like the stock 19 Taco wheels.
Before you ask, no I did not take pictures, I have not been able to figure out how to post pictures anyway.

New tires.
Falken Wildpeak A/T3W LT265/75 R16 123S E1 RBL
Not planning on new wheels, I like the stock 19 Taco wheels.
Before you ask, no I did not take pictures, I have not been able to figure out how to post pictures anyway.
Just hit the attach files button near the post reply button on the left.

Another one of their iPhone chargers of mine just died. ?

Those flexy tripods are sweet. Actually super handy.

I ordered the @MESO black vent kit. So now I have the full black interior kit to finally get rid of all the damn chrome inside. Especially that damn shifter surround!! So much freaking glare!!

My resent purchase was about 200lbs of steel haha. I ordered the BudBuilt Stage 2 Rock Armor Skids.

@Tyler awesome set up. I am just now getting into Youtube videos but somewhat familiar with video editing. Check out Adobe Premiere Pro. Fairly easy to learn and lots of basic tutorials to get you started.

I want to get into doing walk arounds and maybe part installs (I'm not the best mechanic but I have done all my own work) I just need to work on commentary, I suck at talking on camera.

My resent purchase was about 200lbs of steel haha. I ordered the BudBuilt Stage 2 Rock Armor Skids.

@Tyler awesome set up. I am just now getting into Youtube videos but somewhat familiar with video editing. Check out Adobe Premiere Pro. Fairly easy to learn and lots of basic tutorials to get you started.

I want to get into doing walk arounds and maybe part installs (I'm not the best mechanic but I have done all my own work) I just need to work on commentary, I suck at talking on camera.
I actually did event up using Premiere Pro. I went into it intimidated and by the time I was done editing, I felt pretty good about the program. It is kind of easy to use but I can tell there’s so much more to it to get even better editing done, which is exiting.

Did you end up seeing my first video?

Back