• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Waterproofing lights/lightbars?

Manbun525

4️⃣ Gold
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Inferno
Anybody waterproof their light bars? Looking at a decent reviewed/priced light bar off amazon as I hear the 300$+ ones are not as necessary. I've read that you can and should just caulk/silicone the light and waterproof it from either rain, car wash, and condensation.

Has anybody done this and have pics of where you sealed? Just seal all the places water seems like it can seep in? I seen one guy remove the glass in front and just seal where that piece placed into the light bar.

Thanks

Well what do you consider quality haha, I'm looking at a 70$ 41incher off Amazon. I mean its got solid 4-5* reviews but I guess just looking for added security bc from what I've read, a solid 100$ isn't that far off of the 300-who knows how much$ lights, just paying for name brand basically and I have much better upgrades to spend a few hundo on than a light.

Just what I've read through my research so far was curious if anybody here had actually done so.

Well what do you consider quality haha, I'm looking at a 70$ 41incher off Amazon. I mean its got solid 4-5* reviews but I guess just looking for added security bc from what I've read, a solid 100$ isn't that far off of the 300-who knows how much$ lights, just paying for name brand basically and I have much better upgrades to spend a few hundo on than a light.

Just what I've read through my research so far was curious if anybody here had actually done so.
Your not just paying a name , here is a few things that are (but not always) issues or problems
  • No distance, bright doesn't always equal far
  • Poor quality components leds,wiring, or chip boards, (LEDs may go out/stop working, wires may fry,boards may fry)
  • Wrong or improper parts (I've seen a few that claim "high power/output" and end up frying themselves out, pushing to much trough parts that cant handle it
  • Most have no warranty, if they do lots try to weasel themselves out of upholding it

Now there is always some winners , as there is always some lemons !
If you you want to add sealer to the light bar , then some silicone around the perimeter, and around the edge of the glass should do aswell as the wiring gasket, double check that all bolts are tight on the glass

If your going to keep you truck and will use the light bar on a regular basis then I personally would invest in a quality light bar and wait for big sales to drop the price

Last edited:
Back