• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Water leaking into Cabin?

Lord Humongous

6️⃣ Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2016 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Inferno
Hoping somebody here can help or has some insight. This morning I noticed my passenger side floor mat was holding water after last nights rain. The trucked was parked outside and not driven during the storm. Upon further investigation I found the water to be dripping from the HVAC fan and also found my cabin air filter to be completely saturated. I do have a replacment windshield and was suspecting a leak but it appears the water is flowing through a gap on the cowl. See the pics. I did some experimenting with a hose and it appears water is flowing through the gap and into the fresh air vent.

The drivers side does not have a gap like this. Is this gap normal and if so what would be causing my truck to leak? I do have ditch light brackets that could possibly interfering but the truck has seen rain in the past and I havent noticed this issue?

Any feedback welcome.

Also added a video
20190113_160535.jpg

Attachments

• 20190113_160535.jpg
    20190113_160535.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 301
Body shop supply house carries a sealing putty that techs call “dumb dumb putty”, it used to be made by 3M. You can try and plug up that gap and see if the leak stops. It’s a quick repair before trying a more permanent fix. Just a thought.

Upvote 0
I hate to be that guy, but the replacement window is what sticks out to me. My buddy owns a glass shop, been around it quite a bit while they are installing. Lots of other companies just don’t do their job correctly with the sealant when they apply it. I’ve seen rusted out pinch welds, from them scraping the old sealant off and not primering it once completed. That issue caused the window to fail, it leaked at the top though. Might try a smoke test around the perimeter of the window from the inside and see if it comes out somewhere.

Upvote 0
I hate to be that guy, but the replacement window is what sticks out to me. My buddy owns a glass shop, been around it quite a bit while they are installing. Lots of other companies just don’t do their job correctly with the sealant when they apply it. I’ve seen rusted out pinch welds, from them scraping the old sealant off and not primering it once completed. That issue caused the window to fail, it leaked at the top though. Might try a smoke test around the perimeter of the window from the inside and see if it comes out somewhere.
You can spray the older style ammonia window cleaner that foams up, around the windshield outer edge and gasket/sealer. Use compressed air and a hose nozzle to spray inside around the windshield, any leakage will cause the foam in that area to be blown out. Works every time.

Upvote 0
You can spray the older style ammonia window cleaner that foams up, around the windshield outer edge and gasket/sealer. Use compressed air and a hose nozzle to spray inside around the windshield, any leakage will cause the foam in that area to be blown out. Works every time.

That’s a good idea as well! The smoke test is what I’ve always used, being in the construction field. Lots of times it would prove if a window on a house was improperly sealed. Good to know though ?

Upvote 0
Back