• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

WarRig build and BS - Caution, we do things most dont like and use foul language

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd love to SAS. Issue comes in to keeping track control with wheel speed sensors and being able to calibrate. Speedo, 4wd shift, and so much more is run off those sensors factory. Going sas without those really limits truck computing and doesn't help the process at all. Biggest problem aside from.achool bus wheelbase is the overall size. These things are just so damn big for certain trails. It's good fun though.
That makes sense. Thanks for the insight.

But also Full Size Invasion is pretty impressive sometimes, as far as wheelbase goes. Or any crawler built squarebody Suburban.

And the option to bob it and shorten the wheelbase but idk if I would go that far.

But also Full Size Invasion is pretty impressive sometimes, as far as wheelbase goes. Or any crawler built squarebody Suburban.
Yeah that's what I mean by certain trails. There's lots of room.and such on Moab that allow for bigger booty to get through. And 40+ tires don't hurt belly clearance either. Lol. But there are a lot of trails where the width is a killer. Hell my TJ barely fit through here, and it was 10+ narrower than the Tacoma.
IMG_9394.JPG

Just a matter of trail selection.
Shooting to run pritchett this year as, aside from buggy trails like coyote canyon, I don't think there's anything in Moab ifs can't handle.

Forgot to add.....
Picked up some trdor lights and got the housings blacked out. The wiring wasnt bad to get the led drl to work on the sr5. I think the black housings really clean up the look on the front. Now to get rid of that chrome ring on the grill.
bhl1.jpg
bhl3.jpg

Hauling this stupid thing to Toyota to fix the damn AC. Cracked a line and it takes special refrigerant.
tow4.jpg

I have also been doing a lot of research with some other builders, and some friends of mine to make plans for this upcoming winter. Regardless of whether the rack needs replaced, we are going to plan on a hydro setup. We are still looking at different options, or whether we just do a double-ended RAM and call it a day. Doing the front will likely require cutting out the factory cross member and either bolting in or welding in our own assembly. Doing this has me really looking at front differentials. One of those diffs being the Ford 88 front. We really like this option as the 8.8 are a super common differential, take a very good beating, and are a non-clamshell setup. Also will allow us to run an ox locker set up which eliminates a lot of the downsides to the Tacoma front locker options. Another big side is that the Toyota 8-in rear and the Ford 8.8 front are both offered in a 5.71 gear ratio. Currently the Toyota front is only offered in a 529. The extra gearing would put me exactly where I would like it to be, and make the truck just all around that much better. This swap is being wrapped up on a Colorado we know, and we are excited to see the abuse it takes. ultimately it's not a super difficult swap, just a matter of lining up the parts and redoing mounts, which we will be doing anyway with the steering setup change. A lot more research to do, and a lot more digging to do.

Well stayed late tonight to get some stuff done on the truck. Leaf springs are gone, almost all brackets cut off. One of the cross brace bars are in and the 'fishplates' are welded in. Really sad how weak the rear frame section is on these trucks.
Added 3/16 3" steel strap. The cross bars will be welded through the plates allowing better tie in and control of deformation after we remove the entire center k brace. We will be adding plates to tie in to the holes the factory brace uses to prevent twist in the frame as well. The front, unwelded hole will be used to locate, and weld to, one of the mounts for coilover hoop. Then top side of hoops will be braced down to the cross bars to prevent deflection. Plenty more plating and bracing to come. Anyway. Pics.
IMG_20200519_192135.jpg
00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200519200205079_COVER.jpg
IMG_20200519_204820.jpg
IMG_20200519_223352.jpg
IMG_20200519_223924.jpg
IMG_20200519_231912.jpg

Just read through the whole thread, now I’m sitting back and admiring the skills you’ve been given and undoubtedly cultivated for years to be able to design and modify suspensions and drivetrain.
Good times. And even better to have a wife that enjoys it too. Like Mark Twain said, joy is better when shared.

Just read through the whole thread, now I’m sitting back and admiring the skills you’ve been given and undoubtedly cultivated for years to be able to design and modify suspensions and drivetrain.
Good times. And even better to have a wife that enjoys it too. Like Mark Twain said, joy is better when shared.
Thanks. Yeah she keeps it interesting for sure with always trying to do more and more and keep the truck in (mostly) one piece. This will definitely be a big upgrade for the truck, not even just suspension wise, but also the added rigidity in the rear of the frame. Pretty excited.

Such an epic build!!! :D Cant wait to see more build photos with the 3-link setup
Me too! It's been slow going getting work done on the truck. Been doing 18 to 20-hour days on just regular shop orders, and that's almost 7 days a week. So doesn't leave much time to get stuff done on the truck, so I try to squeeze it in here and there when I can.

Little backward work last night. Axle side upper mount is too tall and throwing my numbers off. Once i got it down to rid height my AS way WAY to high. Since i dont have much room for frame side adjustments (just the 3 hole options) it is easier to make a big change axle side. Requires a little play with link length, and a new, far more simple mount, on axle end, but gets me down to that 70's range for AS which will play nicely between the two types of driving this truck will see.
Add that to my handheld plasma dying on me, and ill be portaband-ing the bracket off. yay

Hopefully we will be on weight come the weekend. Vertical separation axle side is on the low end, but that's why we're running the inch and a quarter joints and I will be bracing the upper mount quite a bit. The leverage will definitely be something I have to keep an eye on, but I needed the upper mount this low to get my anti-squat numbers where I wanted. I'm still about 7 or 8% higher than I would like, but I'm still in a really good range for the truck working how I want. Dialing in the track bar and then I will burn in upper coilover mounts and be ready to roll.

IMG_20200630_120900.jpg
IMG_20200630_132147.jpg
IMG_20200630_135624.jpg

Hopefully we will be on weight come the weekend. Vertical separation axle side is on the low end, but that's why we're running the inch and a quarter joints and I will be bracing the upper mount quite a bit. The leverage will definitely be something I have to keep an eye on, but I needed the upper mount this low to get my anti-squat numbers where I wanted. I'm still about 7 or 8% higher than I would like, but I'm still in a really good range for the truck working how I want. Dialing in the track bar and then I will burn in upper coilover mounts and be ready to roll.

IMG_20200630_120900.jpg
IMG_20200630_132147.jpg
IMG_20200630_135624.jpg

Sooo this will be sold as a kit soon?!

Sooo this will be sold as a kit soon?!
Be loooooooooots of testing and everything before that's even an idea. I want to make sure it takes highway, high speed, and wheeling use well. Know where the habits are and what adjustments to make for continued use.

Be loooooooooots of testing and everything before that's even an idea. I want to make sure it takes highway, high speed, and wheeling use well. Know where the habits are and what adjustments to make for continued use.

Once it passes your testing lmk. Just tell me how much 💵

Im sure you will but plans for the front to be linked in the future?

Once it passes your testing lmk. Just tell me how much 💵

Im sure you will but plans for the front to be linked in the future?
Not at this time. We haven't found anything where ifs is deciding factor. Maybe once that's the case. Until then just beefing up front. It's on coilovers, just need a good steering setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back