• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Vinyl Sticker Protection?

Manbun525

4️⃣ Gold
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Inferno
I asked this on TW and go no responses, maybe somebody here has something to say. As seen in the pic I have replaced the standard trd4x4 bed sticker. That one was a full rectangular all one sticker, the new one, as are most I see people using, all separate lettering. Each little black line and letter is essentially its own sticker. Mine has relatively sharp edges and corners making it more susceptible to peeling or the corners catching.

A few of the egdes are already peeled up a very tiny tiny bit, I think maybe due to me hand washing and the micro fiber cloth thing very lightly caught a few edges. is there any way to "seal" the whole decal, like a clear plastic dip or clear coat I can either apply to the edges peeling to seal it or just lightly spray over the entire sticker to create a seal that would help longevity.

I had been told so far maybe clear nail polish?!

Nothing that will obvi ruin truck paint or create a cloudy fog over the truck and sticker in the area.

Thanks

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 129
I asked this on TW and go no responses, maybe somebody here has something to say. As seen in the pic I have replaced the standard trd4x4 bed sticker. That one was a full rectangular all one sticker, the new one, as are most I see people using, all separate lettering. Each little black line and letter is essentially its own sticker. Mine has relatively sharp edges and corners making it more susceptible to peeling or the corners catching.

A few of the egdes are already peeled up a very tiny tiny bit, I think maybe due to me hand washing and the micro fiber cloth thing very lightly caught a few edges. is there any way to "seal" the whole decal, like a clear plastic dip or clear coat I can either apply to the edges peeling to seal it or just lightly spray over the entire sticker to create a seal that would help longevity.

Nothing that will obvi ruin truck paint or create a cloudy fog over the truck and sticker in the area.

Thanks
you could run a strip of clear bra across the top of the bed, this would also help with any pinstriping in the area. If youre opposed to that idea idk if i could go with nail polish as it could chip off and take paint with it.

Upvote 0
I would just make a 2nd set so when the point it peels too much you can just take it off and apply the new one.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately those types of decals are more prone to peeling because they have smaller surface areas with adhesive. The best advice I could give is to wash that area carefully. Only blot that area with the wash mitt and drying towel. Don't rub like you would the rest of the truck.

Upvote 0

Thanks
I'd say look into replacing the vinyl sticker with something similar to the stock sticker design. That would be the best protection for your custom design and look good too. Maybe if you can find a heavier vinyl material to use. Something designed for wear and tear. Ask the shop where you got the sticker made as they may have some options for you.

Upvote 0
You could try the Plasti-Dip Clear Coat that they offer, you can find it on I believe dipyoucar.com.

Upvote 0
You could try the Plasti-Dip Clear Coat that they offer, you can find it on I believe dipyoucar.com.

Thought about that as well, just wanted to see if somebody else has actually done that or something first, hate to be the Guinea pig lol. My fear with that is it might look cloudy or so, idk I've never used the clear plastidip before maybe I'll look up some vids. I've seen ppl use black on their fenders and quarter panels etc as protection from rock chips or scratches and it looks cool, like stripes and makes the truck or car look unique

Upvote 0
Back