• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

VFTuner - Question for people that own it.

bonifacio

8️⃣ Paragon
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
Website
www.bracestraps.com
2019 TRD OR
Cement
I was sitting on the old software version 1.2.9.9 for a while. Just settled on a tune that didn't offer any support. Getting around to changing tunes now and refamiliarizing myself with the software since it's been 3 years. Updated to software version 1.7.0.5.
So now, I'm guessing you unlock the Vehicle VIN (4 Credits) and the ECU ID (4 Credits) which should leave you with 1 credit left.
Once you unlock an ECU ID it should be listed in the Unlocked box correct? Then only the unlocked ECU ID should show correct? Tried to find the VFTuner Forum, but I'm guessing they shut that down. Figured someone would be able to give a quick answer.

1678413116465.png

You've had the software for 3 years but haven't used it to tune your truck yet?

VFTuner forum is gone because Mat didn't like that people were sharing hacks for it lol. I have the software as well but I've never noticed that screen that you have up. IIRC I applied credits when I went to push a tune to my ECU.

That's correct, when you unlock your ECU id it will show in the box and your credit count will drop to 1. Do you have a tune to flash? Did you get a tune from OV/VF way back when and just never flash it?

General question for everyone here concerning tunes. Is this something you have to continuously update to get the most recent version? Can you stick with just 1 tune without updating? I’ve been thinking about pulling the trigger on one, I just don’t want to have to keep getting updates however often they come out, I’d rather just stick with my Pedal Commander and not have to worry about it ever again. Granted, a tune is probably the better route than the PC, but not having to worry about version or software updates is kind of nice.

General question for everyone here concerning tunes. Is this something you have to continuously update to get the most recent version? Can you stick with just 1 tune without updating? I’ve been thinking about pulling the trigger on one, I just don’t want to have to keep getting updates however often they come out, I’d rather just stick with my Pedal Commander and not have to worry about it ever again. Granted, a tune is probably the better route than the PC, but not having to worry about version or software updates is kind of nice.

Once you're tuned there technically is no need to update ever again. The only reason people go I'd that there are tune developers still making better and better tunes. For example I have tuned plenty of customers and most are still extremely happy with no desire to update. However I have newer tunes with improved shifting and power, so some choose to upgrade. Most of the time the upgrade takes only minutes.

Once you're tuned there technically is no need to update ever again. The only reason people go I'd that there are tune developers still making better and better tunes. For example I have tuned plenty of customers and most are still extremely happy with no desire to update. However I have newer tunes with improved shifting and power, so some choose to upgrade. Most of the time the upgrade takes only minutes.
Got it, thanks for the clarification.

VFTuner forum is gone because Mat didn't like that people were sharing hacks for it lol. I have the software as well but I've never noticed that screen that you have up. IIRC I applied credits when I went to push a tune to my ECU.

Yes, I've had it this entire time. Also ended up buying the tuning pack. Sucks I paid for it since I ended up being able to collect all the files for all the ECU ID's. Had that all before the credit system.
Flashed an earlier OVTuned before 2.0 Final.
Then flashed some of the development tunes that floated around TW.
Then VFTuned 2.0 Final.
Now Valley Runner.

I'm pretty sure when it switched I got 9 credits.

My laptop I used for flashing is showing 1 credit. My PC is showing 5.
If 9, it should mean it's 4 credits to unlock the ability to flash/edit one specific ECU code.
Then another 4 credits to unlock the VIN so it can accept flashes.

I ended up having to update my ECU ID from 04B31 to 04B33 at home myself. I don't remember if I had to burn 4 credits each time per ECU ID.
I'm just overthinking ahead. So if my VIN is even unlocked. If I have to buy more credits. Sucks if ECU ID is updated, that you would have to burn more credits.

But I'm asking about what's listed because if it works how it should, then mine should only show the longer number versions of 04B31 to 04B33.
But when I looked, it's showing ALL ECU ID's + others which I'm assuming for other vehicles and they were even for other manufacturers. Like cool, but I'm not gonna use it. So I'm just wondering if anyone's else ended up like this or if you've heard of this happen. The top does show it's a personal license, but it's unlocked the software side of things as if it's a Tuner or something.

By default, i beleive even with a non-pro tuner licensed version of VF you have access to all of the ECU id's supported. I believe you should even have all of the stock ecu files etc on your computer for everything supported.

I could be wrong, as it has been a while since I utilized a new ecu id, as I have pretty much all of them supported already, but I think you use your credits for licensing your vin and not the ecu id? Maybe it has changed since the start.

1. When you try to open the 04B33 file what does it do? do you get a message telling you that you need to utilize 4 credits?

2. when you connect to your truck and click "prepare," what does it do? What message are you getting?

I’ve read on a few forums that the tunes work better for automatics compared to the manuals. Is there any truth to this? And if so, why is that? I know that the tunes help with shift points but since you’re shifting yourself with a manual what are the other added benefits? I just wanna make sure I have all of the information before pulling the trigger on a tune and I also want to make sure I have all the accurate information lol.

It's not that the tunes work better for automatics more than manuals, it's that the automatics have so much to gain from tuning that the benefits are pretty massive. The next thing is most tunes out there for manuals are merely automatic transmission tunes that have just been copied and pasted into a manual file. This method completely disregards the actual manual transmission itself and doesn't address any of the manual transmission programming issues that the transmission has. There are very few tunes that actually address the manual transmission needs. @mZiggy has likely the most knowledge on the subject as his deep diving into the manual transmission basically paved the way for what all tuners know about tuning them. I'd suggest looking that direction for a tune file for your manual.

I think you use your credits for licensing your vin and not the ecu id? Maybe it has changed since the start.
This is accurate. Originally, credits were used to unlock ECU IDs for editing/flashing. When this policy changed to VIN registration, people were refunded for their credits spent on ECU ID unlocking. Some of us ended up with over 100 credits between the refund and current (at the time) credits following purchase. Lol

This is accurate. Originally, credits were used to unlock ECU IDs for editing/flashing. When this policy changed to VIN registration, people were refunded for their credits spent on ECU ID unlocking. Some of us ended up with over 100 credits between the refund and current (at the time) credits following purchase. Lol
I guess mine just default to all ECU ID's and my VIN was unlocked. Thanks everyone.

That's the updated licensing screen. Before it didn't have the list of ECU ID's, in 1.7.0.5 I guess they added the list of ECU ID's you can flash. I wonder if that means I can edit all of them...
Before it just showed name, master key, email and credits.

Back