VF Tuner || OVTune - Valley Tuning - KDMAX - Sibi Built || Best ECU Flash?

Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Tyler

✓ • Mythical
Badministrator
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Color
Quicksand
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Long Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
USB mini B?

Tyler

✓ • Mythical
Badministrator
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Color
Quicksand
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Long Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
I got the wire and flashed the truck. About to go test drive it.

Can I use the software to see the tune that I flashed just to ensure it did change? “Read ECU” wasn’t working for that.

Tyler

✓ • Mythical
Badministrator
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Color
Quicksand
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Long Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
Can I use the software to see the tune that I flashed just to ensure it did change? “Read ECU” wasn’t working for that.
Holy crap. It’s immediately obvious I’m on my new TermLimits tune, the second I hit the skinny! 😍

bonifacio

✓ • Diamond
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Color
Cement
Truck Grade
Off-Road
T3G Member
#2,531

TermLimits

✓ • Silver
Tacoma3G Supporter
Authorized VF Tuner
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Color
Quicksand
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
#8,974
Holy crap. It’s immediately obvious I’m on my new TermLimits tune, the second I hit the skinny! 😍
Glad you enjoy it! Even with those 37” tires it’s definitely an improvement

JVMP58

✓ • Bronze
Upvotes Recieved
T3G Member
#9,091
I’m looking for an OV Tune on my 2021 TRD Off Road. Any shop that does this near San Antonio or Austin TX?

TermLimits

✓ • Silver
Tacoma3G Supporter
Authorized VF Tuner
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Color
Quicksand
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
#8,974
I’m looking for an OV Tune on my 2021 TRD Off Road. Any shop that does this near San Antonio or Austin TX?
I believe we received your request through the website not too long ago as well. I'll reach out to some of my Texas and surrounding area installers and see what we can do for you.

Worst case scenario, you could always mail in your ECU for tuning and have it overnighted back to you.

I'll email you tomorrow with what I find out.

haas.evan

✓ • Silver
Tacoma3G O.G.
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Evan
Truck Year
Truck Color
Inferno
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Long Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
#3,077
I flashed one of the OV Tunes when the truck was still stock and really enjoyed the tune. After the lift, 34s, and 5.29s I flashed the truck with the new corresponding OV Tune and was hugely disappointed with its performance. Not long after that I installed the Rough Country inline speedometer calibrator and immediately the tune starting working like it should.

Not sure if this will help anyone out there, but the difference in how the truck operated was immediately noticeable and made both purchases worth it.

bonifacio

✓ • Diamond
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Color
Cement
Truck Grade
Off-Road
T3G Member
#2,531
I flashed one of the OV Tunes when the truck was still stock and really enjoyed the tune. After the lift, 34s, and 5.29s I flashed the truck with the new corresponding OV Tune and was hugely disappointed with its performance. Not long after that I installed the Rough Country inline speedometer calibrator and immediately the tune starting working like it should.

Not sure if this will help anyone out there, but the difference in how the truck operated was immediately noticeable and made both purchases worth it.
That's odd. So from that it sounds like the tune processes speed data from a speed output source. So it's not actual speedo, but a "tool".

I think my bike updated the odometer without calculating my sprocket change. Like it racks up miles faster.

Does the odometer go by actual or what it thinks? I guess if it's programmed for factory settings, does it go by number of rotations?
So bigger tires means you'll be going faster. Does the odometer rack up faster then? Does it get factored into miles until empty? Shower lower mpg?

TermLimits - Can you answer this for me? :) Overthinking.

Last edited:

Tyler

✓ • Mythical
Badministrator
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Color
Quicksand
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Long Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
Holy crap. It’s immediately obvious I’m on my new TermLimits tune, the second I hit the skinny!
I have put about 2,500 miles on the truck as of the TermLimits tune and here’s my update.

Unfortunately, moving from the OVTune 2.0 tune to this one was a pretty significant downgrade for my use case and I need to flash back to OVTune when I can (but I don’t have my original file anymore).

The Valley Tune does pack more of a punch when you tap the gas. It feels like it might be fun for mobbing through the desert at 10-30 mph. If that’s what you’re looking for, you’d probably enjoy it.

That wasn’t what I needed though. I was looking for a tune that cruises well at highway speeds and might have better mpg than the OVTune I was using (not because I expect decent mpg with my truck, but spending less time stopping for gas is nice).

Comparing the numbers, the OVTune was better for me— someone living on the road while traveling the country:

OVTune 2.0 city mpg: 11-13.5
OVTune 2.0 highway mpg: 13-15.4

Valley Tune city mpg: 10-11
Valley Tune highway mpg: 8.5-10.3

OVTune 2.0 RPM at 65-80 mph: 2,000-2,500
Valley Tune RPM at 65-80 mph: 4,000 almost constantly

OVTune 2.0 gear hunting compared to stock: Great
Valley Tune gear hunting compared to stock: Poor (similar to stock)

This feedback is based on a very heavy truck (still need to weigh it), 5.29 gears, 37” tires. My truck isn’t meant to have nice numbers to begin with but the tunes are relative and the differences feel huge.

TermLimits

✓ • Silver
Tacoma3G Supporter
Authorized VF Tuner
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Color
Quicksand
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
#8,974
That's odd. So from that it sounds like the tune processes speed data from a speed output source. So it's not actual speedo, but a "tool".

I think my bike updated the odometer without calculating my sprocket change. Like it racks up miles faster.

Does the odometer go by actual or what it thinks? I guess if it's programmed for factory settings, does it go by number of rotations?
So bigger tires means you'll be going faster. Does the odometer rack up faster then? Does it get factored into miles until empty? Shower lower mpg?

I believe these trucks calculate speed at the wheels. That being said, if ODO is ticking over much faster than it should you may have a faulty wheel speed sensor.

it will also factor into poor MPG so you’re correct there. If you roll a half mile and the truck thinks you made it 1mi, you just halved your MPG
I have put about 2,500 miles on the truck as of the TermLimits tune and here’s my update.

Unfortunately, moving from the OVTune 2.0 tune to this one was a pretty significant downgrade for my use case and I need to flash back to OVTune when I can (but I don’t have my original file anymore).

The Valley Tune does pack more of a punch when you tap the gas. It feels like it might be fun for mobbing through the desert at 10-30 mph. If that’s what you’re looking for, you’d probably enjoy it.

That wasn’t what I needed though. I was looking for a tune that cruises well at highway speeds and might have better mpg than the OVTune I was using (not because I expect decent mpg with my truck, but spending less time stopping for gas is nice).

Comparing the numbers, the OVTune was better for me— someone living on the road while traveling the country:

OVTune 2.0 city mpg: 11-13.5
OVTune 2.0 highway mpg: 13-15.4

Valley Tune city mpg: 10-11
Valley Tune highway mpg: 8.5-10.3

OVTune 2.0 RPM at 65-80 mph: 2,000-2,500
Valley Tune RPM at 65-80 mph: 4,000 almost constantly

OVTune 2.0 gear hunting compared to stock: Great
Valley Tune gear hunting compared to stock: Poor (similar to stock)

This feedback is based on a very heavy truck (still need to weigh it), 5.29 gears, 37” tires. My truck isn’t meant to have nice numbers to begin with but the tunes are relative and the differences feel huge.
I asked this over on the tune thread, what version of OV 2.0 were you running beforehand?

This doesn’t sound correct for the tune and you may need a learn value reset. Typically most users complain that it’ll hang onto 5th longer than desired and refuse a downshift to 4th.

Yours sounds like it is hanging in 4th and not upshifting.

Our shift points are sooner and longer than OV2.0. The added power on light pedal application also should translate to better speeds in higher gears.

We have trucks running a full overland setup, steel bumpers, 5.29s and 36” tires who still net 16mpg on the tune.

Try going through techstream (much better for resets) and reset the learn values for engine AND transmission. Give the truck a 30-40mile break in period then.

Tyler

✓ • Mythical
Badministrator
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Color
Quicksand
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Long Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member

I just noticed this post.

The truck calculates everything by what it thinks, exactly how you described.

For me, 37” tires means I’m going about 84 mph when my truck says I’m doing 70 mph. The mpg is also inaccurate like this. But the numbers displayed and the actual numbers are relative so you can kind of convert them subconsciously. There’s also some conversion tools here: https://tiresize.com/speedometer-calibration/

Here’s a silly one: When my low gas light comes on, it says I have about 110 miles until empty. I think a stock truck puts that light on around 30 miles to empty.

bonifacio

✓ • Diamond
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Color
Cement
Truck Grade
Off-Road
T3G Member
#2,531
I just noticed this post.

The truck calculates everything by what it thinks, exactly how you described.

For me, 37” tires means I’m going about 84 mph when my truck says I’m doing 70 mph. The mpg is also inaccurate like this. But the numbers displayed and the actual numbers are relative so you can kind of convert them subconsciously. There’s also some conversion tools here: https://tiresize.com/speedometer-calibration/

Here’s a silly one: When my low gas light comes on, it says I have about 110 miles until empty. I think a stock truck puts that light on around 30 miles to empty.
This is going to mess with me. Time for a speedohealer. Lol.

Tyler

✓ • Mythical
Badministrator
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Color
Quicksand
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Long Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
This is going to mess with me. Time for a speedohealer. Lol.
It’s definitely annoying. Here:

bonifacio

✓ • Diamond
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Color
Cement
Truck Grade
Off-Road
T3G Member
#2,531
So a calibrator won't fix mileage remaining.

The only thing that the calibrator does not fix, however, is the “total mileage” that your tank reads when you fill up with a full tank of gas. This will still read incorrectly depending on your “non-stock tire size” and “non-stock weight” your truck modifications added to your stock curb weight.

Says the module changes shift points. Would that effect or override tunes that are flashed?
  • Updates OE ECM Shift Points to accommodate larger tires

Guess my biggest thing is if I want to pay $75 more just to have a black box. Seems they are the same module and you can use Hypertech software direct from their site for the Rough Country. Just don't want RC anything since I'm a quality brand whore.